Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Another one was Flour City (which Mpls took from Rochester NY in the 1800s when Mpls flour mills outproduced Rochester's) Rochester then changed theirs to Flower City, after landscape nurseries that flourished there.
I change my mind about "Mill City".....it sounds kinda cool to me now. I also like the name "Millers" as it applies to milling, whether it be steel mills or grain mills like in Minneapolis. Between the Millers and Lakers, Minneapolis seemed to miss out on a couple of opportunities to name their teams something a tad more relevant than, say, the "Wild".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
There is just something about the nickname "Queen City" that is cool to me. I didn't know that Cincinnati was also called that. Whould you happen to know the origin of the name?
There's an entire wikipedia page on the term. It's apparently pretty common.....sort of like how several college sports teams are named "Tigers".
Queen City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
The best nicknames are those that are literal. The City of Angels and The City of Brotherly Love for Los Angeles and Philadelphia.

Sidenote-It seems LA and Philly are also called by their abbreviations the most of any city beside DC.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:32 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
There is just something about the nickname "Queen City" that is cool to me. I didn't know that Cincinnati was also called that. Whould you happen to know the origin of the name?
In his poem "Catawba Wine" that hailed Cincinnati's (and more specifically Mount Adams') wineries, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow called the city "the Queen of the West."

The poem is engraved in stone on Fountain Square; Cincinnati's tallest building features a tiara, which is a reference to the Queen City; and one of the explanations for Dayton's "Gem City" nickname was that Dayton is the gem in the queen's crown.

Catawba Wine

And this Song of the Vine,
This greeting of mine,
The winds and the birds shall deliver
To the Queen of the West,
In her garlands dressed,
On the banks of the Beautiful River.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:28 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,679 times
The Gateway City is a okay nickname for st.louis

Old 01-24-2013, 05:02 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
I really don't like "Space City" for Houston. Because it clearly wasn't called that before the space programs of the 1960's! lol There has to be a better name floating around out there....ah, The Magnolia City.
I agree. The Magnolia City or Bayou City should be used more than Space City IMO.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Tyler, Tx. - "The Rose City"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City