Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle's rightful place IYO
with Philly, Atlanta, Detroit, Miami, Houston, Dallas, SF, DC, Boston 49 34.51%
with Denver, San Diego, Minneapolis 93 65.49%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:05 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
LOL at airport traffic. Talk about a silly measure. That's almost purely location based. Look closely at those numbers. they are useless.

Agree especially when end destination traffic is factored
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 10:07 PM

And quite honestly anyone who has actually done business in a Boston, DC, DFW, Houston, Philly or SF and Seattle and considers Seattle on the same level is truly smoking some stuff from Venice Beach in LA...

Old 12-28-2011, 10:10 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
One tier has Philly, Atlanta, Detroit, Miami, Boston, Houston, Dallas, DC, SF. Another tier has Denver, San Diego, Minneapolis.

Which tier does Seattle belong in, latter or former? Use size, economy, influence, etc
There was a famous city data thread ) a while back that had several rankings, A few cities were missing in certain rankings, but we pretty much knew were they going to rank if they were ranked. But there was a little argument over Philly, Atlanta, Detroit, Miami, Boston, Houston, Dallas, DC, SF orderly in importance. With saying that nothing by those rankings or did any poster argue or nominated that Seattle belongs in that group. Seattle, Denver, and Minneapolis in some areas did make top 10, but you have to look at the overall picture.

This thread is Classic.
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-combined.html

I would say Seattle is below the Philly, Atlanta, Miami, Boston, Houston, Dallas, DC, SF tier. And Seattle is on the same tier as Denver, San Diego, Minneapolis And I would add Phoenix, St Louis, Baltimore, Tampa, and Pittsburgh. and put Detroit on Seattle tier also.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
There was a famous city data thread ) a while back that had several rankings, A few cities were missing in certain rankings, but we pretty much knew were they going to rank if they were ranked. But there was a little argument over Philly, Atlanta, Detroit, Miami, Boston, Houston, Dallas, DC, SF orderly in importance. With saying that nothing by those rankings or did any poster argue or nominated that Seattle belongs in that group. Seattle, Denver, and Minneapolis in some areas did make top 10, but you have to look at the overall picture.

This thread is Classic.
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-combined.html

I would say Seattle is below the Philly, Atlanta, Miami, Boston, Houston, Dallas, DC, SF tier. And Seattle is on the same tier as Denver, San Diego, Minneapolis And I would add Phoenix, St Louis, Baltimore, Tampa, and Pittsburgh. and put Detroit on Seattle tier also.
Actually Chiatldal we rarely agree but on this I do Seattle is at best number 12 in the US and to me IMHO definately still a level below the next crew

Though econimically it is quickly catching Atl, Miami, and Detroit

Old 12-28-2011, 11:11 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
PA?????????????

SD pales incoparison to Philadelphia, which I know you hate but explain which metric SD compare remotely besides weather to Philadelphia

Even for GA =, Atlanta and Miami are by far the laggards economically but explain how SD would trump either a Atlanta ot Miami

BTWI think La Jolla is just about perfect but please explain this
Why do you always have to bring up Philly in everything? Did you read what he actually wrote in that comment

Old 12-28-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Why do you always have to bring up Philly in everything? Did you read what he actually wrote in that comment

Actually I misread the original comment and first read as SD would trump cities in PA and GA

FTR I actually quite like SD; after SF my favorite area of CA

I personally find SD and Seattle to be extremely comparable on size and influence

Old 12-29-2011, 01:29 AM

896 posts, read 1,169,928 times
Quote:
Actually I misread the original comment and first read as SD would trump cities in PA and GA

FTR I actually quite like SD; after SF my favorite area of CA

I personally find SD and Seattle to be extremely comparable on size and influence
yeah I thought you had misread it, anyways I definitely agree with you about DFW being on a different league. to me its like this
  1. SF/Philly/Houston/DFW/DC/ATL/BOS
  2. MIA/SEA/MSP/DET/PHX/SD

Old 12-29-2011, 02:52 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Fair but let me put a PA region in comparison; the 4.6 million in the PA portion of the Philly MSA have a higher income and GDP per capita relative to Seatttle and more F500 cos including top 500 not to mention home to 7 US HQ of F500 corps HQ'd outside the US and the home to 3 cos that not privately owned would be F250 US corps

Seatttle is up and coming but not yet playing in the next tier on many accounts

Slyman hates Philly yet believe could not argue the economic engine of Philly and the next tier relative to Seatttle which to me I agree is an up and comer yet the next 30 yeasr will decide whether it plays in this level

It is 50% below the economic output of the next tier, EXTREMELY significant to make such a claim

Take a place like Philly add in the GDP from the next 30 miles and Seattle play 100% below...
Kidphilly, your Philadelphia region is bigger and of course has a bigger GDP but the Puget Sound region has a higher per capita income, lower unemployment rate, higher educated population, much lower percentage of people living below the poverty level. And more people continue to move to the Puget Sound region than the Philadelphia region.....so there!:-)

Old 12-29-2011, 03:34 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Actually Chiatldal we rarely agree but on this I do Seattle is at best number 12 in the US and to me IMHO definately still a level below the next crew

Though econimically it is quickly catching Atl, Miami, and Detroit
But it still isn't bigger, and economics is a big part of it, but still it isn't everything. That's why I posted something showing importance in different ways. You have to look at other things, like diversity, amenities and yes even population, and etc. If you view Atl and Miami at the lower end of the tire with Philly, Boston, Houston, Dallas, and DC that's fine. ATL and Miami are still in that tire and those cities are ATL and MIA peers.

Miami may under performs in economics but it's size, and it's international media image. make Miami on another tire from Seattle alone. Atlanta may under performs economically to it's peers, but it's size, as well as being the Primate city of the deep south, which is significantly more populated than the northwest. Atlanta influence put Atlanta on another tire from Seattle.

Every city got it's strengths and weaknesses, that's why I said you have to look at the whole picture, For instance Seattle and Denver is in the same range as Philly and Dallas by diplomatic missions.

DC admitted
San Francisco (40)
Houston (37
Miami (35)
Atlanta (24)
Boston (23)

Detroit (7)
Philadelphia (6)
Denver (6)
Phoenix (5)
Dallas (4)
San Diego (3)

But that doesn't mean much when looking at everything across the abroad. This is just a weak point for Philly and Dallas, They are overall a tire up from Seattle, Phoenix and Denver.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:34 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Why on earth is DFW and Miami not on the same level as Atlanta? Its all dumb but if anything I would put both of those regions above Atlanta.
DFW is certainly above Atlanta, but no way is Miami. Not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City