Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or New Orleans
Boston 111 59.68%
New Orleans 75 40.32%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 11:25 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
A lot of parts of New Orleans is quite dense though not as dense as the densest parts of Boston or overall either.

New Orleans is pretty awesome, it'd be great if they built the surrounding metro area to be moderately dense.
Actually, there are some areas I've been to in Boston that are less dense than New Orleans with streets more wider and less continuity of buildings. It depends on which area of Boston being compared. Obviously Boston overall has a larger quantity of density because it is a larger city but there are some areas in Boston I could point out that are not as densely developed as some parts of New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 11:35 PM

37,150 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Actually, there are some areas I've been to in Boston that are less dense than New Orleans with streets more wider and less continuity of buildings. It depends on which area of Boston being compared. Obviously Boston overall has a larger quantity of density because it is a larger city but there are some areas in Boston I could point out that are not as densely developed as some parts of New Orleans.
Of course there are which is why I said the densest parts of Boston and overall instead of saying every single part of Boston is denser than any part of New Orleans. It's interesting to note though that no single zipcode in New Orleans is as dense as Boston is overall (that is including both the dense and non-dense areas). It's a really marked difference.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Of course there are which is why I said the densest parts of Boston and overall instead of saying every single part of Boston is denser than any part of New Orleans. It's interesting to note though that no single zipcode in New Orleans is as dense as Boston is overall (that is including both the dense and non-dense areas). It's a really marked difference.
The 'overall' density of Boston is around 12,752/sq mi give or take which is the city. Actually, there are some NO zip codes with higher density. I'll repost what I've posted before.

If you break it down by zipcode (since there are many) you'll find areas near the core with higher population densities. This is more accurate.

City: New Orleans, LA
Orleans Parish, LA

70116 Zip Code:
Estimated zip code population in 2009: 25,898
Zip code population (2000): 16,688
Land area: 1.3 sq. mi.
Population density: 19,336 per square mile
Read more: //www.city-data.com/zips/70116.html#ixzz1gwGzrLSD

70115 Zip Code:
Land area: 3.8 sq. mi.
Population density: 17,100per square mile
Read more: //www.city-data.com/zips/70115.html#ixzz1hJCjbJ12

70119 Zip Code:
Land area: 5.0 sq. mi.
Population density: 14,882 per square mile
Read more: //www.city-data.com/zips/70119.html

70113 Zip Code:
Land area: 1.1 sq. mi.
Population density: 13,798per square mile
Read more: //www.city-data.com/zips/70113.html

Only listed some but there's more that are denser than the over all density of Boston. New Orleans becomes more denser as you get closer towards the core. The populations in these urban areas have grown since 2000 to date even post Katrina.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 AM

37,150 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
The 'overall' density of Boston is around 12,752/sq mi give or take which is the city. Actually, there are some NO zip codes with higher density. I'll repost what I've posted before.

If you break it down by zipcode (since there are many) you'll find areas near the core with higher population densities. This is more accurate.

City: New Orleans, LA
Orleans Parish, LA

70116 Zip Code:
Estimated zip code population in 2009: 25,898
Zip code population (2000): 16,688
Land area: 1.3 sq. mi.
Population density: 19,336 per square mile
Read more: //www.city-data.com/zips/70116.html#ixzz1gwGzrLSD

70115 Zip Code:
Land area: 3.8 sq. mi.
Population density: 17,100per square mile
Read more: //www.city-data.com/zips/70115.html#ixzz1hJCjbJ12

70119 Zip Code:
Land area: 5.0 sq. mi.
Population density: 14,882 per square mile
Read more: //www.city-data.com/zips/70119.html

70113 Zip Code:
Land area: 1.1 sq. mi.
Population density: 13,798per square mile
Read more: //www.city-data.com/zips/70113.html

Only listed some but there's more that are denser than the over all density of Boston. New Orleans becomes more denser as you get closer towards the core. The populations in these urban areas have grown since 2000 to date even post Katrina.
Weird. We're getting radically different results from the same site.

Here's the overall: //www.city-data.com/zipmaps/New...Louisiana.html for 2009 data

Here is for the zipcodes you listed

70116 for 8672 people per square mile

70115 for 7341 people per square mile

70119 for 6432 people per square mile

70113 for 6982 people per square mile

The above are all for the 2009. Looking at it further shows that the numbers for the detailed profile and overall view for 70116 are way different. Something's fishy here--I'm inclined to believe the numbers from the detailed info pages because the ones from the general zipcodes page did seem surprisingly low to me.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:56 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
New Orleans is a very popular place. When I was last there post Katrina it was pack full of people in almost every street corner I turned as I walk around. What I love about walking through these streets kind of remind me of my time in Europe with the variations of food smells and a diversity of music. It changes just about every block. The feel is uniquely New Orleans.

I could post some aerial shots to show the vast amount of density NO has but here are the street level shots first.

The world's oldest street car system (before Boston's "T")
Don't even go to density Boston has Almost double the population in less than 1/2 the area and Cambridge, Somerville, and Chelsea are denser that Boston and all within 3 miles of Downtown.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Don't even go to density Boston has Almost double the population in less than 1/2 the area and Cambridge, Somerville, and Chelsea are denser that Boston and all within 3 miles of Downtown.
We were talking about about the comparison to Boston's over all density to some higher density zipcode areas in the core of New Orleans. I'm sure there are some areas of Boston more dense but not all the city as a total over all.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:25 PM

105 posts, read 194,733 times
Quote:
I'd much rather be Robbed than killed, by a long shot. Not only that but NOPD is noteriously corrupt to this day. While Boston clean house in the "90's
People not from here always think if you move here you will get shoot or if you visit, someone will murder you, that is not the case.

New Orleans as i posted before is apart of the largest port in the western hemisphere, undoubtedly tons of illegal contraband enter New Orleans ( the largest entrance point on the massive port i mentioned ) which makes for a great selling base and import center for illegal dealers.

The issue isn't people on the street are been murdered its dealers and people in the areas that are using the drugs who are being murdered. Murders never have been of tourist or people in the grocery stores or anything like that, sadly, its always a American African man who mingles into the wrong crowd, it happened to my cousin, just because he knew the wrong person he was shot and killed, the guy he knew was shot as well but lived, that guy is still living the life of a criminal.

Every port city in the nation has problems like this just not to the same degree as New Orleans because its a much larger port.

L.A.
New York
Miami
Houston etc. etc. all have these issues.

Really theres not much that can be done about this on a local level, NOPD can't be posted on docks and harbors to scan everything that comes through, that isn't their job, Thats up to the U.S. department of homeland security and well this has been going one for years now so not much can be expected from them.

Every person residing from New Orleans holds dear love for this place even though we know its rough ends, the majority of us want the best for this city but just like the U.S.as a whole. But a minority of idiots are keeping us back and making us look bad. If it were up tp me or any other native of New Orleans we would be a creative hub for the arts, a educational model for the nation, a dynamic commercial center, a city that inspires people to travel from across the globe to visit ... some of these things already are here but need to be pushed more, and some are serious issues that i would love to fix but thats not in my hands.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.RR.Armoneaux View Post
People not from here always think if you move here you will get shoot or if you visit, someone will murder you, that is not the case.

New Orleans as i posted before is apart of the largest port in the western hemisphere, undoubtedly tons of illegal contraband enter New Orleans ( the largest entrance point on the massive port i mentioned ) which makes for a great selling base and import center for illegal dealers.

The issue isn't people on the street are been murdered its dealers and people in the areas that are using the drugs who are being murdered. Murders never have been of tourist or people in the grocery stores or anything like that, sadly, its always a American African man who mingles into the wrong crowd, it happened to my cousin, just because he knew the wrong person he was shot and killed, the guy he knew was shot as well but lived, that guy is still living the life of a criminal.

Every port city in the nation has problems like this just not to the same degree as New Orleans because its a much larger port.

L.A.
New York
Miami
Houston etc. etc. all have these issues.

Really theres not much that can be done about this on a local level, NOPD can't be posted on docks and harbors to scan everything that comes through, that isn't their job, Thats up to the U.S. department of homeland security and well this has been going one for years now so not much can be expected from them.

Every person residing from New Orleans holds dear love for this place even though we know its rough ends, the majority of us want the best for this city but just like the U.S.as a whole. But a minority of idiots are keeping us back and making us look bad. If it were up tp me or any other native of New Orleans we would be a creative hub for the arts, a educational model for the nation, a dynamic commercial center, a city that inspires people to travel from across the globe to visit ... some of these things already are here but need to be pushed more, and some are serious issues that i would love to fix but thats not in my hands.
The port of Houston handles the most International trade, and the Port of South LA is 54 miles long, its really several ports.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:59 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
The port of Houston handles the most International trade, and the Port of South LA is 54 miles long, its really several ports.
Port system. From Baton Rouge to New Orleans with its address in LaPlace.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:08 PM

105 posts, read 194,733 times
Quote:
Thats fairly irrelevant: Yes Houston has more international trade, but inevitably the port of South Louisiana is still the largest in the western hemisphere, a good lead over Houston's port ( not to say that Houston's isn't relevant as a whole ).

Yes but its recognized as one port not by its divisions under the Dep. of HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City