Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or New Orleans
Boston 111 59.68%
New Orleans 75 40.32%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:37 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Haha wow, you can't even let them have the port thing?
They tried to subordinate the medical contributions and Educational achievements of Boston by saying We created Jazz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I made a valid point of New Orleans having the oldest street car system in the world and you bring up mass transit systems. Of course Boston's is more extensive but not older than the rail transit system in New Orleans was my point. New Orleans street cars were running the streets waaay before Boston even broke ground on it's subway tunnels. When it comes to public rail transit New Orleans is much older than Boston's.
Because Boston didn't need one on 1824 because you could walk across town (border to Border) in like 20 minutes, because Back Bay, and the South end did not exist it was almost like a 4 sq Mile Island, it only had one road out of town.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:31 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ull2015 View Post
I love new orleans and Boston doesn't compare when it comes to nightlife and the uniqueness of New Orleans. I feel that some in this thread don't give new orleans its due credit which is why it proves how underated this city is...
If anything, it's the New Orleans forumers who haven't been able to give Boston its due credit.

Quote:
new orleans trumps when it comes to the vibe of the city and the pride.
Both of those areas are 100% subjective though.

Quote:
Again I see people here saying the population of boston makes boston the better city..that is absolutely not true.
Actually, the only people who have said these things are the forumers from New Orleans. There are certain things like economy, density, mass transit, etc. which Boston wins because as a result of being a much bigger city...but no one has been claiming "Boston is bigger, so it must be better"

Old 01-02-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ull2015 View Post
I love new orleans and Boston doesn't compare when it comes to nightlife and the uniqueness of New Orleans. I feel that some in this thread don't give new orleans its due credit which is why it proves how underated this city is...they only know of what they see on tv and in the media...new orleans trumps when it comes to the vibe of the city and the pride. Also the economy of new orleans is making great strides...forbes had new orleans in the number 2 spot for best cities for jobs in 2011. Again I see people here saying the population of boston makes boston the better city..that is absolutely not true. Take a look at New Orleans some time and see whats going on..
New Orleans wasn't given enough credit?, NO posters where literally saying if Boston was wiped off the map, it would take a few clicks to transfer data and then the US economy would be fine.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:16 PM

105 posts, read 194,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
But Some may pick Boston in subjective catagories, so in all objective catagories Boston wins, and a port is a sub-catigory of the Economy, which Boston surpasses Mississippi and Louisiana Combined.
A port is not a subjective category. Every massively major city on this planet has a port or port system near it: Tokyo, London, Hong Kong, New York etc.. There are very few if not any major global cities that do not have ports for commerce.

No port would mean no distace trading. In todays world that means higher product cost. In modern times no port or access to one means no goods, no goods equal no production, no production means no product.

How many places in the U.S. grows coco, or bananas or any of the hundreds of things in your home that says: MADE IN CHINA, obviously non sense they were produced over seas.

If it werent for ports most of what Americans eat would be grain or corn based.

The underminding of ports you're pushing is incorrect to the reality of trading from a global stand point.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.RR.Armoneaux View Post
A port is not a subjective category. Every massively major city on this planet has a port or port system near it: Tokyo, London, Hong Kong, New York etc.. There are very few if not any major global cities that do not have ports for commerce.

No port would mean no distace trading. In todays world that means higher product cost. In modern times no port or access to one means no goods, no goods equal no production, no production means no product.

How many places in the U.S. grows coco, or bananas or any of the hundreds of things in your home that says: MADE IN CHINA, obviously non sense they were produced over seas.

If it werent for ports most of what Americans eat would be grain or corn based.

The underminding of ports you're pushing is incorrect to the reality of trading from a global stand point.
Yea, but we're not talking about having no ports at all--the US actually has many many ports. Why, even Boston has one of the largest ports in the US.

And ports are very important, but a lot of other things are very, very important, too.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:13 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
It always shows that New Orleans is under-appreciated on this site. Not saying anyone personally, just overall.

Technically, the vibe and pride comment is subjective but really? I mean really?

No, I really mean "really?"

It's not a contest.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:22 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It always shows that New Orleans is under-appreciated on this site. Not saying anyone personally, just overall.

Technically, the vibe and pride comment is subjective but really? I mean really?

It's not a contest.

Whats not a contest??

Old 01-02-2012, 08:28 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Whats not a contest??
Quote:

It's not a contest.
^

Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
You are right it is subjective. Many can and do pick either city for various reasons. It is a contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City