Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or New Orleans
Boston 111 59.68%
New Orleans 75 40.32%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:20 PM

105 posts, read 193,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Without question regardless of the port of NOLA Boston detroys the economic output of NOLA

Great post though, honestly did enjoy reading but economy, well no they are not even close

I am pretty sure the GDP generated by the Boston MSA let alone the CSA is larger than the whole state LA.

FWIW I love NOLA and believe to be the most unique city in the US, albeit not very large
But could the U.S. better off without Boston or New Orleans. I'm pretty sure much of the economy would suffer greatly without New Orleans. Losing a port that size that multiple countries depend on: yeah, that will cripple many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 06:22 PM

322 posts, read 611,825 times
uh NOLA lol

Old 12-30-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Architecture in New Orleans is not organic to that area!? Its born of colonial Spanish and French architecture which morphed into the victorian era. Its all colonial architecture, same with the other cities you mentioned.

Boston has colonial architecture too, just not the same colonizers.
You cant find New Orleans architecture anywhere else. Yes it was formed based on mainly Spanish and French styles its still unique to the city, i have yet to find a country or city with even similar styles, have you ?

Colonial, Yes, But will you find it anywhere outside of South Louisiana, No.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:25 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.RR.Armoneaux View Post
But could the U.S. better off without Boston or New Orleans. I'm pretty sure much of the economy would suffer greatly without New Orleans. Losing a port that size that multiple countries depend on: yeah, that will cripple many.

Same could be said for many cities. Just dont buy that argument. An impact to oil and gas prices short term sure but nope no way no how The economic output, educational, research, finance, and healthcare (among other things) from Boston and the region absolutely trump that of NOLA. Not to mention there is excess capacity on both the east and west coast in terms of oil production and port facilities (Remember both the East and West coast are larger in terms of port facilities collectively than is the combined gulf.

Look I am actually a fan of NOLA but come on now, that argument is weak at best. The economic impact of Boston is far greater than NOLA

Old 12-30-2011, 06:31 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times
Quote:
You cant find New Orleans architecture anywhere else. Yes it was formed based on mainly Spanish and French styles its still unique to the city, i have yet to find a country or city with even similar styles, have you ?

Colonial, Yes, But will you find it anywhere outside of South Louisiana, No.

Ok youve got a shot of a Garden District house and some low country & a shot gun style house. These are typical across the southeast and into the Carolinas. The acadian style morphed from local styles/materials and local conditions, somewhat unique but most areas of the country have their own local adaptations to historic styles, usually colonial of some sort. Even the Acadian styles were all over Louisiana and into neighboring states.
Even your pic from the French Quarter, you can find similar scenes in Galveston, Mobile, Savannah, Charleston and other older developed cities in the south.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:36 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,655,088 times
Boston

Old 12-30-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Same could be said for many cities. Just dont buy that argument. An impact to oil and gas prices short term sure but nope no way no how The economic output, educational, research, finance, and healthcare (among other things) from Boston and the region absolutely trump that of NOLA. Not to mention there is excess capacity on both the east and west coast in terms of oil production and port facilities (Remember both the East and West coast are larger in terms of port facilities collectively than is the combined gulf.

Look I am actually a fan of NOLA but come on now, that argument is weak at best. The economic impact of Boston is far greater than NOLA
Great, a fellow NOLA lover. I understand that Boston is a much larger city commercially and pompously but thats pretty much it. New Orleans is more than just corporate, that of which it is as well but it spans into: Many food chains and producers that started in the city, Popeyes Chicken, Copelands Restaurants, Zatarain's etc. ( these companies are globally known ), The huge tourism in the city and the surrounding areas, the many oil corporations that are headquartered in the city and the massive port ( largest in the western hemisphere ). New Orleans has many notable features that puts it above Boston not because i believe they are notable but because its fact.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:48 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,381,682 times
New Orleans

Old 12-30-2011, 06:55 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
Great, a fellow NOLA lover. I understand that Boston is a much larger city commercially and pompously but thats pretty much it. New Orleans is more than just corporate, that of which it is as well but it spans into: Many food chains and producers that started in the city, Popeyes Chicken, Copelands Restaurants, Zatarain's etc. ( these companies are globally known ), The huge tourism in the city and the surrounding areas, the many oil corporations that are headquartered in the city and the massive port ( largest in the western hemisphere ). New Orleans has many notable features that puts it above Boston not because i believe they are notable but because its fact.

You are REALLY stretching this argument

Popeyes, Zatarains? Come on now

fact? Honestly I suggest you look up that definition

Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,634,253 times
Boston might have a little leverage, but it's not that far ahead of NO. Get real. Boston is not as dynamic as its NE counterparts like Philly, NYC, and DC.

Other urbanity, Boston is just a lame town with a professional sports' character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City