Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or New Orleans
Boston 111 59.68%
New Orleans 75 40.32%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 01:23 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh, I think it's important to add that Boston has one of the best museums in the world (along with a huge amount of very respectable other museums) and that the layout of the city is filled with odd and winding roads much like European cities. These do make the city feel quite a bit different from other American cities even if there are cities like Philadelphia and New York (save for downtown Manhattan which also winds nicely) which shares some of its architecture. It's a hoot and makes it unmistakable for any other American city.
The same could be said for New Orleans minus the winding streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 01:55 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Mainly, Im reacting to blatantly false statistics being posted. Surely even a New Orleans homer would acknowledge theyre not close.
Actually, what you're doing is just brute-force salesmanship, throwing a lot of poop at the wall and hoping some of it will stick. The census also estimated that we had lost 50,000 people during the 90's and when the official count came out we had only lost 12k. Is it at all possible that, given the somewhat chaotic nature of current living conditions in New Orleans, the official count isn't entirely accurate? Just maybe?

Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Actually, what you're doing is just brute-force salesmanship, throwing a lot of poop at the wall and hoping some of it will stick. The census also estimated that we had lost 50,000 people during the 90's and when the official count came out we had only lost 12k. Is it at all possible that, given the somewhat chaotic nature of current living conditions in New Orleans, the official count isn't entirely accurate? Just maybe?

No. I know how census numbers work, and thats one thing. And I agree it is chaotic in Nola, but what he had was blatantly false, you cannot deny that. Density numbers twice what reality is, and an "estimate" way out of range of reality. Not sure what his motivation was, but its not right. When it was quoted that several zip codes greatly increased in population and density during 2000-2010, when we know the city lost 150k population during that span. C'mon you are smart enough to know thats false. I didnt see any of the Nola boosters say a word regarding that.
You think your city is great, thats great I can understand that, but real is real. The comeback continues, but not how he claimed.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:28 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Why would zip-codes.com boost numbers on New Orleans's population??
I'm pretty sure the population estimate boosting is actually done by the local governments. I believe it's a tactic used to get more tax funds from the State & Federal governments.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The thin winding streets in Boston definitely do add a bit...

North End

Downtown

Downtown Crossing

Beacon Hill

Liberty Square

Old 01-18-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
The thin winding streets in Boston definitely do add a bit...

North End

Downtown

Downtown Crossing

Beacon Hill

Liberty Square
New Orleans has narrow streets too. What exactly do winding streets add? Another level of confusion?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
New Orleans has narrow streets too. What exactly do winding streets add? Another level of confusion?
To a degree, yes haha. But from another perspective, it's awesome to walk through the area. There's so much beautiful old architecture that slowly begins to peak around each turn. It's a beautiful and unique streetscape.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
To a degree, yes haha. But from another perspective, it's awesome to walk through the area. There's so much beautiful old architecture that slowly begins to peak around each turn. It's a beautiful and unique streetscape.
So is New Orleans.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:55 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
The only thing I said was museums and winding streets though. I don't understand your comment. Boston's museums are much better known and you yourself said New Orleans doesn't have the winding streets. So out of only two things I said about Boston, the same could be said for New Orleans except for the only two things I said?

Que?

Old 01-18-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The only thing I said was museums and winding streets though. I don't understand your comment. Boston's museums are much better known and you yourself said New Orleans doesn't have the winding streets. So out of only two things I said about Boston, the same could be said for New Orleans except for the only two things I said?

Que?
New Orleans may not have as many world class museums but there is no short supply of them. You also said the city is unmistakeable, and so is New Orleans. Also you said Boston feels different than any other city even though there are cities like New York City and Philadelphia, the same could be said for New Orleans even though there are cities like Savannah and Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City