Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Region of the Country
Georgia North Carolina & Tennessee 33 60.00%
TEXAS! 22 40.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 PM

367 posts, read 995,988 times

Advertisements

These states represent some of the best of the SouthEast American region which region do you live in or prefer

Georgia+ North Carolina+Tennessee.
these three states combined much up against Texas perfectly in terms of land and population

Booming economy Texas or 3 states combined
Better Cities Texas or 3 states combined
Better future outlook Texas or 3 states combined
Better Sports Texas or 3 states combined

Best state or states period!

Georgia+ North Carolina +Tennessee vs TEXAS!

Old 05-31-2013, 01:17 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,565 times
My list.

Booming economy -Texas
Better Cities -Texas
Better future outlook -Texas
Better Sports -Texas

I like Georgia, North Carolina, & Tennessee but Texas is much more diverse in population, culture, & landscape.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:16 AM

So Texas beats all three

Old 05-31-2013, 02:36 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
So Texas beats all three
IMO yes. The rest comes close though, but like sports, and cities it's very subjective.

Last edited by JoninATX; 05-31-2013 at 02:52 AM..

Old 05-31-2013, 02:37 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,706 times
Booming economy- The edge goes to Texas. Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh aren't doing too bad.
Better Cities Texas- This is subjective. I like Houston better than Atlanta, but I like Charlotte better than Austin.
Better future outlook- IMO, all of the states with the exception of Tennessee has a good future outlook.
Better Sports Texas- The 3 states without a doubt.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:55 AM

Ohh sure suuuuure Tennessee doesn't have a bright future fltonc12

Last edited by SteveTime; 05-31-2013 at 03:04 AM..

Old 05-31-2013, 07:25 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,389 times
Economy- Texas

Cities- Texas, overall. Either Houston or Dallas neutralize Atlanta individually, and after Atlanta the three states don't really have anything that can compete with either Houston or Dallas. Though I will say that Nashville, Memphis, or Charlotte could beat Austin or San Antonio depending on what you like.

Future Outlook- Texas

Sports- This is a wash and it depends from year to year. If you're talking about sports success, then Texas has probably been better over the past ten years. The Spurs and Mavs have won championships. The Longhorns have won a college football championship and played for another and the Astros have played a world series.

Now in the 90s, it would probably have been the three states. Well, except for the Cowboys and Rockets (thanks to Jordan's fist retirement) and the Spurs in 99. But than again the Volunteers were good in the 90s and the Braves were as well.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:22 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,256 times
In terms of economy Texas is doing better for sure.

Cities - I'd go with GA/NC/TN. Texas has a second huge city which GA/NC/TN lacks, but GA/NC/TN has a lot more depth. Savannah, Asheville, Chattanooga, Nashville, Athens, etc--lots of solid, interesting, unique cities in these states of all different sizes. Also Memphis, Charlotte, and RDU are significant cities.

Scenery - GA/NC/TN and it's not close

Future outlook - Both are good, but Texas is better

Sports - GA/NC/TN has the edge imo

Airports - Slight edge to GA/NC/TN

Diversity - Texas

Universities - GA/NC/TN and it's not close

Coastline - GA/NC/TN

I think GA/NC/TN offers more all around than Texas.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:46 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
In terms of economy Texas is doing better for sure.

Cities - I'd go with GA/NC/TN. Texas has a second huge city which GA/NC/TN lacks, but GA/NC/TN has a lot more depth. Savannah, Asheville, Chattanooga, Nashville, Athens, etc--lots of solid, interesting, unique cities in these states of all different sizes. Also Memphis, Charlotte, and RDU are significant cities.

Scenery - GA/NC/TN and it's not close

Future outlook - Both are good, but Texas is better

Sports - GA/NC/TN has the edge imo

Airports - Slight edge to GA/NC/TN

Diversity - Texas

Universities - GA/NC/TN and it's not close

Coastline - GA/NC/TN

I think GA/NC/TN offers more all around than Texas.
Lol, you added like three different criteria that those three states have the obvious edge in.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:38 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,588 times
Based on the OPs criteria I think Texas would win. The economies in GA/NC/TN are doing pretty well, but not booming like Texas, which I think will continue for a while. And for big cities Texas takes it b/c its big four cities offer slightly more than the biggest cities of the GA/NC/TN team (Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Memphis). I believe the three states together have one more pro sports franchise than Texas (nine to eight, I think), but those in Texas have seen more success.

Despite all that, I prefer the GA/NC/TN team. IMO the geography is better with great coast in GA and NC plus mountains in all three. Texas has some diversity as well, but I don't think it quite matches up. Also, I think the three have more charming small towns (Savannah, Wilmington, Asheville, Chattanooga). I also prefer the universities in those three states, lots of great public and private universities. Another big plus is their location which is closer to the east coast cities. And I just think the three offer more variety.

Interesting question, comparing one huge state with three mid-sized ones. Kind of funny that you left SC out of the equation since it is right there between NC and GA. But it doesn't have any cities of over a million so maybe that is why OP went with TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.