Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will seperate themselves?
Chicago 10 9.80%
Philly 4 3.92%
Boston 3 2.94%
DC 14 13.73%
ATL 23 22.55%
MIA 6 5.88%
Dallas 15 14.71%
Houston 17 16.67%
Bay Area 1 0.98%
Detroit 9 8.82%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:58 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I dunno if you can call the Bay clearly ahead of the rest.

For one there are more people in Boston than the Bay so Boston is already ahead of the Bay although it has been growing slightly slower.

Secondly, DFW should be around 7M right now in its CSA with the Bay being probably just making it to 7.5M. So the Bay is closer to DFW and Boston than it is to DC and Chicago. No use grouping the Bay with Chicago and DC when it clearly is in Boston and DFW's territory too.

If the Census was to release an update today you would find that the CSA's would be close to this:

1. Chicago- 9.8M
2. Baltimore-DC- 8.7M
3. Boston-7.6M
4. San Jose SF-7.5M
5. DFW 7M
6. Philly- 6.55M
7. Houston- 6.4M
8. Atlanta- 5.7M
9. Detroit- 5.2M

In terms of economics, the Bay is pulling strongly, but on population. It is probably should not be considered in the same sentence as ATL and Detroit. BTW where is ATL getting all these votes? from all the cities listed it probably has slowed down the most. Don't see it reaching Chicago in 75 years.

Did Houston somehow add 300K people in 9 months or DFW add 300K in 9 months. Or did Philly just add only 10K?

Hmmm

Anyway final alignments are not in for CSA or MSA for that matter; this assumes no changes in counties anywhere

Just calculated 2009 commuter data based on this link http://www.selectgreaterphiladelphia...employment.cfm and Lehigh County would be at 15.6% commuter rate into the Philly MSA and Atlantic county at 14.8% into the Philly MSA. Adding the A/B MSA to the Philly CSA would add 820K to the CSA to 7.4 million and if AC came on it would take it to 7.8 million all without Mercer county etc. Didnt realize how much the Lehigh county rates have increased, especially into the job centers in Montgomery county PA. Guess time will tell

Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by kidphilly; 01-04-2012 at 01:23 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 01:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I agree DFW CSA should be at 7 million or just alittle over around 7.2 million. Houston is about right.
7.3 is kinda high for DFW.
that would men 500K in 2 years. that is a bit much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Did Houston somehow add 300K people in 9 months or DFW add 300K in 9 months. Or did Philly just add only 10K?

Hmmm
Slap yourself. The census was taken April 1st of 2010. we are in 2012. If that is 9 months then you have been out of grade school too long and need a new dose.
It has been 21 months since the last count NOT 9. you overreact too quickly without thinking things out.

Yes the 14K a month for those two cities are more than feasible. In fact the last few years before the census had Houston pulling more than 17K a month

Old 01-04-2012, 01:23 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
I'm not sure about the exact phrasing of the question. Chicago is by far the largest metro of the options, but it also has a slower growth rate than many of the other metros. Even with the lower growth rate I think it will be quite a while before any of the other metros catch Chicago. So Chicago will remain the largest for a while, but several other cities are gaining on it. I think the OP wants to know which of these areas will see the most growth relative to its current size and standing in the US.

With that in mind, of the areas listed, I think Houston will grow the most population-wise over the near term.

As for which of these choices will see its "influence", "prestige", or economy grow the most, I am having trouble deciding between DC and Houston. Houston has been booming for years and years, and its position as the energy capitol will continue to feed its growth. DC has really come into its own in the last 15 years. It's population growth will not be as high, but I think economic and itellectual capital will continue to accumulate in that region thanks to its role in the government and also b/c the city seems to have now hit the minimum critical mass to be a "real" world class city.

IMO, Dallas and (to a lesser extent) Atlanta will also have signficant increases in both population and economic power compared to the other cities, but not at the same level as DC and Houston.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
7.3 is kinda high for DFW.
that would men 500K in 2 years. that is a bit much.

Slap yourself. The census was taken April 1st of 2010. we are in 2012. If that is 9 months then you have been out of grade school too long and need a new dose.
It has been 21 months since the last count NOT 9. you overreact too quickly without thinking things out.

Yes the 14K a month for those two cities are more than feasible. In fact the last few years before the census had Houston pulling more than 17K a month

Still adjusting to 2012 apparently...

Old 01-04-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Hmmm

Anyway final alignments are not in for CSA or MSA for that matter; this assumes no changes in counties anywhere

Just calculated 2009 commuter data based on this link Greater Philadelphia Offers a Highly Skilled Workforce and Lehigh County would be at 15.6% commuter rate into the Philly MSA and Atlantic county at 14.8% into the Philly MSA. Adding the A/B MSA to the Philly CSA would add 820K to the CSA to 7.4 million and if AC came on it would take it to 7.8 million all without Mercer county etc. Didnt realize how much the Lehigh county rates have increased, especially into the job centers in Montgomery county PA. Guess time will tell

Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually just also saw that Kent County DE is now over 20% into the Philly MSA which adds another 160K to the CSA

Old 01-04-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I'm not sure about the exact phrasing of the question. Chicago is by far the largest metro of the options, but it also has a slower growth rate than many of the other metros. Even with the lower growth rate I think it will be quite a while before any of the other metros catch Chicago. So Chicago will remain the largest for a while, but several other cities are gaining on it. I think the OP wants to know which of these areas will see the most growth relative to its current size and standing in the US.

With that in mind, of the areas listed, I think Houston will grow the most population-wise over the near term.

As for which of these choices will see its "influence", "prestige", or economy grow the most, I am having trouble deciding between DC and Houston. Houston has been booming for years and years, and its position as the energy capitol will continue to feed its growth. DC has really come into its own in the last 15 years. It's population growth will not be as high, but I think economic and itellectual capital will continue to accumulate in that region thanks to its role in the government and also b/c the city seems to have now hit the minimum critical mass to be a "real" world class city.

IMO, Dallas and (to a lesser extent) Atlanta will also have signficant increases in both population and economic power compared to the other cities, but not at the same level as DC and Houston.

DFW is on the level of Houston not DC

Atlanta is well below DFW and Houston in this regard

Old 01-04-2012, 01:41 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
Quote:
DFW is on the level of Houston not DC

Atlanta is well below DFW and Houston in this regard
My post was giving my guess for how the change in the current statures of the cities will go in the next several years.

Houston and DC will be the strongest performers, then Dallas, then Atlanta.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:44 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Still adjusting to 2012 apparently...
lol, but everyone knew the census data was stale the very day it came out..

as for the realignments that is gonna be another big disappointment because it is gonna involve even older data.

Since the census I have received two questionnaires from ACS, have not seen any data tho, so dunno what they are doing with it. Confused that they are still sending out questionnaires because I heard they are not updating until 2015.

don't see any significant changes to my metro tho. I think the only thing that may happen is that Montgomery may become a central county which would move Huntsville from the CSA to the MSA. Beaumont, Lufkin, Nacogdoches and College Station still won't meet the requirements for CSA.

Quote:
Actually just also saw that Kent County DE is now over 20% into the Philly MSA which adds another 160K to the CSA
to be added it must meet requirements to a central county not just any county.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
My post was giving my guess for how the change in the current statures of the cities will go in the next several years.

Houston and DC will be the strongest performers, then Dallas, then Atlanta.

Ahh gotcha I think DFW will perfrom closer to houston. Atlanta was the biggest laggard among these over the last ten years and maybe hit the hardest recently.

Atlanta grew economic output .03 since 2000 based on adjustments for inflation and population growth; actually pretty dismal when you consider these stats

Quote:
Adjusted for Inflation relative to population growth

Growth rate difference between GDP growth and Population Growth, 2000-2010 Inflation Adjusted
Boston 7.89
Philadelphia 5.94
Chicago 5.89
San Francisco 5.22
Miami 3.73
Washington DC 3.19
Seattle 2.62
Houston 1.85 (Would be interesting if construction were removed)
Dallas 1.58 (Would be interesting if construction were factored in)
Atlanta 1.03 (Very scary if construction were factored in)

So among the fast growers Miami looked to perform best actually

Old 01-04-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
lol, but everyone knew the census data was stale the very day it came out..

as for the realignments that is gonna be another big disappointment because it is gonna involve even older data.

Since the census I have received two questionnaires from ACS, have not seen any data tho, so dunno what they are doing with it. Confused that they are still sending out questionnaires because I heard they are not updating until 2015.

don't see any significant changes to my metro tho. I think the only thing that may happen is that Montgomery may become a central county which would move Huntsville from the CSA to the MSA. Beaumont, Lufkin, Nacogdoches and College Station still won't meet the requirements for CSA.

to be added it must meet requirements to a central county not just any county.
The data I had for commuter rates was from 2009 so not sure what exactley gets used
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City