Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:12 AM

36,641 posts, read 67,283,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasevemom View Post
This is a really good point. The main thing that makes white racism so odious is that for the most part white culture, standards of beauty,etc. rule American media,making anyone who isnt white feel somehow "lesser.". But that doesn't mean that one U.S. minority group can't be downright hateful to another in a way that most white people have learned to dial down even if they feel it.
I honestly dont think most White people in America are racist, either outwardly or 'dialed down'. There are some racists within any group obviously.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:17 AM

65 posts, read 134,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I honestly dont think most White people in America are racist, either outwardly or 'dialed down'. There are some racists within any group obviously.
Well, there are different definitions of racism, but I would agree that the majority of white people I know do not think that people of races other than white are inferior to white people just by virtue of their race.

For a more broad view of what systemic racism means, check out "unpacking the invisible knapsack" by Peggy McIntosh. A really eye opening essay for white people who have never given deep thought to what it means to be white in America.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:48 AM

72,847 posts, read 62,291,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think it's racism. It's just that people have their preferences. There aren't too many white people who are going to line up at Park to go to the Lebron James birthday blowout to pour bottles of Muscato all over scantily-clad women as "Ball So Hard" plays in the background. And there aren't too many black guys who want to stand around nervously with a Yuengling in hand while waiting to approach a group of girls as rock music plays in the background.
I'm Black and I wouldn't do either. Often I wonder about race harmony in other terms as well, such as for those persons who are considered "non-stereotypical".

Old 01-03-2012, 12:31 PM

31,967 posts, read 34,502,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm Black and I wouldn't do either. Often I wonder about race harmony in other terms as well, such as for those persons who are considered "non-stereotypical".
You're not "most people." When we're talking about integration and racial harmony, we would have to look at a sample that extends beyond you and your immediate circle of friends, no?

DayDream Day Party @ The Park at 14th - July 31, 2010 - YouTube

Old 01-03-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
You're not "most people." When we're talking about integration and racial harmony, we would have to look at a sample that extends beyond you and your immediate circle of friends, no?

DayDream Day Party @ The Park at 14th - July 31, 2010 - YouTube
What would you consider most people if not me? I am asking because I think of some things in personal terms.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
What would you consider most people if not me? I am asking because I think of some things in personal terms.
"Most people" meaning the general population. We don't determine whether a city is integrated or not based on green_mariner and his friends.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
"Most people" meaning the general population. We don't determine whether a city is integrated or not based on green_mariner and his friends.
I was asking how someone like me would fit into the general population.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I was asking how someone like me would fit into the general population.
Are you asking me how I think you would fit in in most cities based on race relations?

Old 01-03-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Are you asking me how I think you would fit in in most cities based on race relations?
Is it a bad idea to ask?

Old 01-03-2012, 01:25 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,468,300 times
Most people are a little racist. Some of the most racist people I've ever met in my life were some of the Hispanics and Asians I met growing up in the supposedly racially harmonious Bay Area. Sure, I know the whole "white folks benefit from systemic racism and white privilege" argument(as a child who grew up in a very liberal education system in the 80s and 90s it was hammered into my psyche ad naseum). But racism is racism--it's everywhere, it's not limited to white people or Asians or blacks--it's sort of a natural thing to judge people based on appearances-- and if you judge based on ethnicity or skin color you're basically a racist on some level--although it's somewhat socially conditioned into most people at the same time.

Most racially harmonious city in the US? None of them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City