Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 01:35 AM

3 posts, read 3,896 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Actually, I'm a student who got accepted from UCD ( University of Colorado at Denver ) and UOP ( University of the Pacific ). I'm so confused of what I should pick, I've read about lots of bad and good things in both cities. For instance, Stockton isn't safe, but it has a really good Uni with a very nice campus. Denver is safe but there is nothing to do, and the weather is very bad at winter time. Those different ideas are really driving me crazy, and I only have a week to decide. So, if you were me what are you going to choose and why?! and if any body has lived in either one of the cities, I'd really appreciate your help in giving me some informations about the safety, crimes rate, and social life, and whether you recommend the city or not.

I really hope to hear from you all soon, since I'm really running out of time and need your help.

Thanx in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 01:55 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
You should focus on whichever school is better for you chosen field of study.

That said, as far as the overall quality of the cities themselves are concerned, Denver by a very wide margin. The only advantages I can think of that Stockton itself has over Denver is racial diversity and no snow in the winter, but other than that, Denver is in a different league altogether.

On the other hand, Stockton is 80 miles from San Francisco.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 AM

254 posts, read 513,601 times
"Nothing to do in Denver?" That's one of the strangest things I've read in a while. What do you want to do that you feel you can't do in/near Denver? Of course the city is not perfect, but there's plenty to do, although you will be/should be spending much of your time studying....

Old 11-18-2011, 08:56 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,893,041 times
I think the OP is misinformed about both cities. There is a lot to do in Denver, and Stockton is really not all that dangerous. The area near the UOP campus, in particular, is safe and quite beautiful. If you are going to pick just on location, though, I say go with Denver. It's bigger, more interesting, and is closer to good skiiing.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:01 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,859,255 times
Choose your school based on your field of study.

Other than that, Stockton is a real craphole. I've been there several times and I just really hated the overall depressing and ghetto vibe of that city.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:22 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,972,227 times
Denver by a mile high. CU Boulder student here. Get your schoolwork taken care of during the week, and join us on the slopes during the weekends.

That being said, if Stockton is better for your field of study... I'm sorry.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:09 PM

70 posts, read 140,356 times
I agree. I'd base your opinion on school vs school. Which will be better for you long term?

As for nothing to do in Denver, I also disagree. I'm sure there's more to do in Denver than there is in Stockton.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:09 AM

3 posts, read 3,896 times
well, if it's about my field, I'm gonna study Electrical Engineering. Anyway, if you all are saying that I should do School vs School, then I'd go with the UOP for many reasons. First of which is that the UNI is PRIVATE which I believe it's an advantage. Also, I have read that they have a really great campus, but I really care about the city too because I wanna enjoy my free time when I get some.

and thanx to all of you for replying

Old 11-19-2011, 08:15 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,775,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan1991 View Post
well, if it's about my field, I'm gonna study Electrical Engineering. Anyway, if you all are saying that I should do School vs School, then I'd go with the UOP for many reasons. First of which is that the UNI is PRIVATE which I believe it's an advantage. Also, I have read that they have a really great campus, but I really care about the city too because I wanna enjoy my free time when I get some.

and thanx to all of you for replying
You should absolutely pick the school that you want to go to more. Location should be big-time secondary...ultimately we're talking about a relatively small slice of your life (4-5 years) and face it dude, if you're an EE major you're not going to have that much 'free time'

Old 11-19-2011, 04:39 PM

254 posts, read 513,601 times
I agree you definitely should go where you want. Another CO school you may wish to consider is the Colorado School of Mines. The school's reputation is far stronger and grads get higher paying jobs than engineering grads from any other university in CO (and most in the entire country, actually.) See payscale.com, that is if I am allowed to post that link.

Last edited by MountainK; 11-19-2011 at 04:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City