Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 07:10 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times

Advertisements

There are some great cities in this country and it is easy to overlook the fact that there are literally hundreds of small towns in the United States that are awesome destinations in their own right.

I've lived in some big cities and in some small towns. I really don't care how big or small a place is, so long as I enjoy living there. So I've compiled a short list of towns that I've either lived in or visited and find to be good competition for their larger counterparts.

In no particular order:

Monterey, California (pop: 28,000): I live in Monterey right now. It actually feels a little bigger than 28,000 because of the neighboring communities, but it is still very much a small town. It has a world class aquarium, Cannery Row is a lot of fun, great dining, and the outdoor recreation opportunities are abundant. Big Sur coastline is a great day-drive, you can see some of the world's most scenic coastline and be back in town in time for your dinner reservations! Kayaking along the city's waterfront (especially in the fog) is something I never get tired of doing. For being such a small town, Monterey offers a lot. It is undoubtedly a better destination than many larger cities in the U.S.

Jackson, Wyoming (pop: 10,000): The northwest corner of Wyoming justifies the rest of the state's existence, really. Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks are phenomenal destinations, and the small town of Jackson is their doorstep. For a laid back dinner, check out Mountain High Pizza Pie. For something a little more upscale, try the Silver Dollar Saloon (a place that lives up to its name, you'll see what I mean once you've been seated!) The town square has an eclectic combination of rustic, upscale, and artsy shopping options, and is a good "get out and walk around" location. As is the case with Monterey, I would pick Jackson over several large cities.

Fredericksburg, Virginia (pop: 25,000): Like Monterey, Fredericksburg feels much larger than it is due to being surrounded by developed areas. Still there is no denying the small town charm of "Old Fredericksburg" with its quaint boutiques, shops, restaurants, and coffee shops. I lived in Fredericksburg for a short time a few years ago and I'll be moving there again in a few months. I am really looking forward to it. It's a wild deviation from the West Coast, but one of the things I look forward to are the changing seasons (hard to top fall in Northern VA). Fredericksburg is also a "must see" if you happen to be a history buff. From the homestead of the Washington's to the areas pivotal roles in both the American Revolution and the Civil War, Fredericksburg really is a worth stop on your next road trip through the area.

Durango, Colorado (pop: 17,000): Durango is the pride of the Four Corner's region. It is just an awesome little town that punches well above its weight. I've only passed through and never stayed much longer than a few hours at a time. This is a crying shame. Durango is on the doorstep to some excellent scenery though, as well as a hotbed for Native American culture. These reasons help explain why I've never actually spent much time IN Durango! Mesa Verde National Park is a short distance from town. If you don't know about Mesa Verde, fire up Google right now and learn! It won't take long before you'll be looking into flights and hotels! Also, another "must-see" just east of Durango is Wolf Creek Pass, an excellent day drive from town that takes you over the continental divide. (Just turn around before you reach the San Luis Valley!) Durango, an under-rated town that offers a lot more than one would expect!

Steamboat Springs, Colorado (pop: 12,000): It would be easy to just fill this list with small Colorado Mountain towns, but I'll try to not do that! Steamboat Springs is a world class skiing destination. Everyone already knows about Aspen, Breckenridge and Vail, but Steamboat is right there with them. It is also a regional hub in Northwestern Colorado, and one can get direct flights from a surprising number of cities in the U.S, considering Steamboat's small size. This is seasonal, of course. Care to guess which season? Steamboat's skiing is as good as anywhere in the world. In the summer, the Yampa River offers some great kayaking and rafting opportunities, and the landscape outside of town is dotted with dozens of camping areas that offer a wide range of amenities (or lack thereof). Steamboat Springs: you don't hear much about it, but it's there, and better than a lot of places you do hear about!

I'll add more later, but that's enough for a start. Since I can't possibly know of all the great small towns in this country, I'm asking you to share some of your favorites and why they are such great places. I look forward to seeing what people have to say on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 07:49 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Atlantic City - Population 40K Nightlife more like a city closer to a million

Old 01-01-2012, 07:58 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Here are three gems:

Annapolis

All sizes | Annapolis Harbor | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/becky731/3668619317/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Portsmouth

All sizes | Winter Breaks, Market Square | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebolton/3353200619/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Newport

All sizes | Newport Harbor | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/renzodionigi/2304245452/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Old 01-02-2012, 06:19 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Atlantic City - Population 40K Nightlife more like a city closer to a million
Don't believe it.

While in Philly for a week on vacation someone told us to "Head to AC". We got there and it was dead. It was a Thursday night in late April. And it was dead. We couldn't believe it.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v77/80/37/56012834/n56012834_32345586_2962.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-02-2012, 06:22 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Stillwater, MN -

Old 01-02-2012, 06:22 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Myrtle Beach, SC
Key West, FL
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Duluth, MN

Old 01-02-2012, 06:28 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Stillwater, MN -

Ever driven into town from Wisconsin? View is AMAZING!
Glad you posted Stillwater. I know it was ranked one of the best small towns in the Mid west. Its crazy over there on a weekend in the summer though.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:14 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
Brunswick, ME. Population, 20,278. Picture postcard beautiful...

Your favorite small towns (Pop < 50,000)-looking_up_at_the_town_of_brunswick.jpg

Old 01-03-2012, 03:29 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
I may get some head scratches for this one, but Greensburg, Kansas.

They were hit with a terrible tornado in 2007 and the whole town was destroyed. They have rebuilt the town to be the model of environmental friendliness. Ive had to make several trips to Garden City and Dodge City, Kansas for work (I work for the airlines) and I always stop when I drive through there. Very friendly people and the town is definately a sight in itself. It almost looks like a small town from the furture:

Old 01-03-2012, 03:36 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Pittsfield, Massachusetts

Its a nice city, and right down the street is Lenox the summer home of the BSO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City