Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 10:25 PM

12 posts, read 23,743 times

Advertisements

Oakland had a horrible weekend: 5 murders in 48 hours. This brought the yearly total from 4 to 9. I knew it was too good to be true. I originally had the murders at 2 all month (while it was actually 4). The crimespotting site I got the figs from aren't accurate I guess. The newspaper says 9 so far this year and 14 for last year. One crazy double murder the other day was a 15 year old adopted son strangling his adoptive parents to death. Glad he turned himself in, but he won't be getting out for a long time or will be adopted again.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:58 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
There were two murders within a block of each other, within three blocks of my house, within two months. I'd say I have some valid concerns with crime. The gas station a block from my house had an attempted carjacking (with gun) about a month ago.

Still, I love my neighborhood, and when I bought here, I didn't think it would be as easy as "buy today, profit tomorrow". There's a lot of activity in the neighborhood and a gigantic hospital project going up within blocks.
You must really love your neighborhood when at best you might go crazy staying up all night worrying about your city going to hell and at worst getting shot.

people have different priorities, and hey for you its home. It comes down to you to make the decision where to live. And I have a feeling that "I love my neighborhood" is not the only reason your butt is still there.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:23 AM

832 posts, read 1,255,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You must really love your neighborhood when at best you might go crazy staying up all night worrying about your city going to hell and at worst getting shot.

people have different priorities, and hey for you its home. It comes down to you to make the decision where to live. And I have a feeling that "I love my neighborhood" is not the only reason your butt is still there.
Peoples have still that "it's my turf & i love my homies" mentality... Even me when i read his post i was like "what the hell is wrong with him, loving a crime infected area...?"
Instead of looking forward to provide a better life for his future kids, nope, he rather stay up at nght worrying about the crime rate... something fishy out there.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:35 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
Top 10 Murder Rates Jan. 31

7.1 - New Orleans
7.0 - Flint
6.7 - East St. Louis
5.7 - Chester
5.7 - Wilmington
4.3 - Detroit
3.8 - Birmingham
3.5 - Trenton
3.1 - Youngstown
3.0 - Baton Rouge

Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
SF is at 3, compared to 11 at this time last year. Two stabbings and a shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Yes, it is. I explained it in the post below.

Exactly, which is why a metro full of people who grow up fighting (not pulling guns) in rowhomes is much harder than one that grows up in suburban areas or sprawled out "cities" and doesn't have that old-school upbringing so many places in the Philadelphia area do.

Like the one that I grew up in.
Hey everybody check out this tough guy! His strange obsession with rowhomes even extends to him thinking they make people tough. Nowhere in the west is as hard as Philly? Ok, whatever makes you feel good inside, mr. manly man tough guy.

And no, murder rates are not something to be proud of.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:44 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Peoples have still that "it's my turf & i love my homies" mentality... Even me when i read his post i was like "what the hell is wrong with him, loving a crime infected area...?"
Instead of looking forward to provide a better life for his future kids, nope, he rather stay up at nght worrying about the crime rate... something fishy out there.
may not be fishy. It is just hard for me to understand not in that exact position. I don't get it.

Different priorities

Old 02-01-2012, 01:03 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
SF is at 3, compared to 11 at this time last year. Two stabbings and a shooting.

Hey everybody check out this tough guy! His strange obsession with rowhomes even extends to him thinking they make people tough. Nowhere in the west is as hard as Philly? Ok, whatever makes you feel good inside, mr. manly man tough guy.

And no, murder rates are not something to be proud of.

Gee, even with the internet, I would have thought that you would have heard. There's something that they put in the water in Philly that makes people much tougher. Gee-everybody knows this. My friend Clarence who used to be wimpy and soft moved to Philly a few years ago, would you believe it, he's now in the UFC..I don't know, there's just something about rowhomes and Philly water that make you tougher. I'm shocked you didn't know that yet

Old 02-01-2012, 01:16 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Yes, it is. I explained it in the post below.

Exactly, which is why a metro full of people who grow up fighting (not pulling guns) in rowhomes is much harder than one that grows up in suburban areas or sprawled out "cities" and doesn't have that old-school upbringing so many places in the Philadelphia area do.

Like the one that I grew up in.

rofl are you for real?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:04 PM

832 posts, read 1,255,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Gee, even with the internet, I would have thought that you would have heard. There's something that they put in the water in Philly that makes people much tougher. Gee-everybody knows this. My friend Clarence who used to be wimpy and soft moved to Philly a few years ago, would you believe it, he's now in the UFC..I don't know, there's just something about rowhomes and Philly water that make you tougher. I'm shocked you didn't know that yet
Does the reem live in Philly now?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:19 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post

I live here because I bought property and the area is rapidly improving.

Anyway, New Orleans is at 25 now.

Last edited by Neworleansisprettygood; 02-01-2012 at 07:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City