Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:07 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times

Advertisements

How would you compare the two in terms of:

size (since I know they don't always correspond to the official boundaries)
vibrancy
authenticity
type of Chinese/Asian cultures found
quality of shopping, inc. produce
quality of food - restaurants etc
entertainment/nightlife
as an actual residential district
demographics

Do you have a preference overall?

I've only visited NY Chinatown and having visited several Asian countries including China itself, I felt it was actually quite authentic for a Chinatown. The range of cuisines was quite diverse, even though I didn't really get to try much, and that part of New York in general is pretty cool, being near the Financial district/Downtown and the Lower East Side/Soho. I know SF Chinatown is older, but it has a smaller population. The other Chinatown I've been to in the US was in LA but that was a disappointment. Much preferred Little Tokyo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 11:16 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Oh geez...this again?

SF's Chinatown

Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro matt View Post
oh geez...this again?
+1

Old 01-09-2012, 08:47 AM

422 posts, read 815,617 times
I love SF; see my 2012 'undisputed city thread'. But there is nothing in SF that compares to NYC. Go to Wellington, New Zealand and you will find that almost everything is comparable.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:57 AM

179 posts, read 402,526 times
I think Flushing is the better "chinatown" in NYC. I would compare that to San Francisco's Chinatown instead.
In Manhattan's Chinatown, you can walk into a restaurant and order in English and everyone will certainly understand you. That may not be the case in Flushing. Some of the workers at the dim sum places only speak Chinese, because it is much less touristy and arugably more authentic. And everything is much cheaper.

That being said, I think that in the past, maybe 10 years ago, San Francisco's Chinatown was a sure winner. Today, I'm not so sure if that's the case anymore as more and more Chinese people are moving to these neighborhoods in New York.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:13 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
I love SF; see my 2012 'undisputed city thread'. But there is nothing in SF that compares to NYC. Go to Wellington, New Zealand and you will find that almost everything is comparable.
Absolutely nothing compares? Wellington? LOL San Francisco has over 4 times Wellington's population, and the Bay Area is roughly 20 times more populated than Wellington's metro. The Bay Area has 3 million more people than the entire country of New Zealand. SF and the Bay are also much larger business centers, and are far more diverse too (and different: you won't find many Maoris in SF, or many Mexicans in Wellington, etc)...not to mention different architecture, developent patterns, etc. I think your comparison is slightly off.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Absolutely nothing compares? Wellington? LOL San Francisco has over 4 times Wellington's population, and the Bay Area is roughly 20 times more populated than Wellington's metro. The Bay Area has 3 million more people than the entire country of New Zealand. SF and the Bay are also much larger business centers, and are far more diverse too (and different: you won't find many Maoris in SF, or many Mexicans in Wellington, etc)...not to mention different architecture, developent patterns, etc. I think your comparison is slightly off.
Isnt this about China Towns?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:29 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Isnt this about China Towns?
Tell that to 75 South.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM

515 posts, read 986,435 times
Neither. I agree with the person who mentioned Flushing, one of the coolest most under-the-radar Asian immigrant neighborhoods in NYC and the U.S. (lots of Koreans there too). It has amazing restaurants and a more authentic / non-touristy vibe.

As for the OP, Canal Street in NYC is pretty much the same as Grant Ave in SF, with shop after shop hocking goods to tourists. I think Canal Street may have more knockoff goods (handbags, watches, etc), while Grant Ave may have more Bazaars filled with "authentic" Chinese souvenirs. But overall most things you'll find in NYC's Chinatown you'll find in SF's - neither one blows the other away and I enjoy visits to both. They are definitely two of the largest, most prominent Chinatowns I've seen in the U.S.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:12 PM

443 posts, read 877,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
Yeah, your perception of SF as a quaint small city makes it clear you've never been there - it's the second densest city in North America and has more foot traffic and vibrancy than virtually anywhere on the continent besides NYC.

SF Chinatown is great - tons of authentic restaurants and packed, narrow streets and alleys filled with interesting stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City