U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 02:18 PM

267 posts, read 494,023 times

Advertisements

1. Washington, DC- Great underrated city
2. Detroit, MI-Surprised by the amount of things there are to do, and good shopping and food
3. Columbus, OH- Loved the Short North and German Village areas- both walkable and quaint
4. Jacksonville, FL- NEVER again
5. Toledo, OH- Hometown...hope it starts to improve
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 02:00 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,085,307 times
None.

Cant rank places that you've equally never embraced living in. Between Austin, Dallas, Chicago, Singapore, Mumbai, Houston, Washington and one or two other places (briefly), I haven't liked any of them enough to see life in permanently.

I suppose I just hate the world on over. I don't think I'll ever be happy until I get out of these places and just make a leap into a Miami or Seoul or Manhattan.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 06-27-2013 at 02:11 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 03:11 PM

7,210 posts, read 7,849,266 times
I've only actually lived in three areas (one year or longer): Jacksonville, Gainesville, and Chicago.
But I've had extended stays in a few other places (I'm defining as 4 consecutive weeks or longer) so I'll include them as well. There are several other cities I've also visited dozens of times but that's going too far so I won't count them. Grades are for livability/visit-ability

1) Chicago, IL ('07-'09) - Biggest city on my list...so much to do, people to meet, places to eat! I fell in love with the city first and then chose my grad school accordingly. Grades: A/A+
2) Washington, DC (2012) - Mostly the same perks as Chicago. A little bit lacking in the diversity of young people (career mindset, not race/ethnicity) and I love skyscrapers, so Chicago wins. Grades: A/A+
3) Penang, Malaysia (2002) - One of the best five cities for food on earth, imo. That's the only reason it's objectively ranked this high. Besides that, it's my parents' hometown and I guess I'll always feel a special attachment. Grades: B-/A-
4) Gainesville, FL ('02-'07) - A really wonderful college town. I've seen some better, I've seen a lot worse, but this one has all you really need for what it is. Great place to get an education and a great place to enjoy being a student. Grades: B/C
5) Tarrytown, NY ('06) - Really cute, more affluent commuter/college town upstate from NYC. Lovely little town area with nice shops and restaurants, plus only a short train ride to the city. (HUGE PLUS) Grades: B/D
6) Salzburg, Austria ('05) - Very charming mid-sized city in the Austrian hills. Wow, thinking back now I was really lucky to experience life here and probably didn't enjoy it as much as I should have at the time. I love most of the big cities I've visited in Europe, but this place is a refreshing smaller city (albeit super-touristy) Grades: B/A-
7) Jacksonville, FL (most of my life including presently) - For all its shortcomings, my hometown will be the city that grasps my heart the rest of my life. I was born here, raised here, have loved it, have hated it, and know that it will continue to improve and someday make me proud. Honestly, it's really not that bad, but I admit that if I didn't travel most of the time then I wouldn't have lasted so long here. Grades: C/D-
8) Sewanee, TN ('97) - Gorgeous tiny little town. I was a young teenager but my memories are still quite vivid. It's pretty much a one-stoplight kinda place but every bit of it was awesome. And since most of my time was spent on the campus of the University of the South, it helped that it was one beautiful campus! Grades: F/D
9) Muncie, IN ('06, '07) - The kind of college town that I mentioned before as much worse than Gainesville. Grades: D/F

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal198 View Post
1. Washington, DC- Great underrated city
2. Detroit, MI-Surprised by the amount of things there are to do, and good shopping and food
3. Columbus, OH- Loved the Short North and German Village areas- both walkable and quaint
4. Jacksonville, FL- NEVER again
5. Toledo, OH- Hometown...hope it starts to improve
LOL! I like this order.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:29 PM

494 posts, read 709,493 times
1. Philly and thus where i was born. Hard to beat the big city especially a city that has come a long ways since i was a kid. If i was to move back to a big city Philly would be first choice.
2. DC.. Most already know and thus tons to do and has it's good and bad.
3. OC MD Awesome summer ( and even a few winter ) memories here having lived here from 14 to 21.
4. VA Beach, VA.. 6 months and least favorite. Hated it all around. Only redeeming quality was the Ocean and the Bay on the north end.
5. Rehoboth/Dewey Beach DE Other then summer traffic a nice beach resort area that has been growing at a steady pace for a number of decades now.
6. MT Vernon, OH Nice place and nice people but terrible traffic for a place of it's size.
7. Homer, MI Smallest town i ever lived in. To do anything required a drive which sucked.
8. Battle Creek, MI Current city. Interesting to watch one of those places hard hit by high unemployment, population loss, crime, etc start making a nice comeback. I have never seen anything turn around like i have here in such a quick period of time. I am fascinated by such stuff so yeah. A ton to do ( and getting better ) which i found surprising when i moved here considering it's size and ofcourse only 2 hours to either Chicago or Detroit is nice as well as having some awesome beaches along the lake Michigan shoreline which is only 45 minutes to a hour away. I enjoy the winter/Christmas festivals along with the snow and all as much as the summer ones.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:39 AM

1,798 posts, read 2,523,453 times
1. San Diego, CA
2. Peoria, AZ (suburb of Phoenix)
3. Tucson, AZ
4. Norcross, GA (suburb of Atlanta)
5. Boca Raton, FL
6. St. Pete/Tampa, FL

Note: If I had lived in Los Angeles it would have taken the #1 spot

Old 07-04-2013, 01:09 AM

591 posts, read 690,627 times
In terms of cities...

1. Boca Raton, FL (2010-2012)
2. Providence, RI (1992-2010)
3. Tucson, AZ (2012-present)

In terms of states...

1. Florida (2010-2012)
2. Arizona (2012-present)
3. Rhode Island (1992-2010)

Old 07-04-2013, 03:59 AM

22,685 posts, read 11,845,288 times
Greenville, S.C.
Shanghai China
New Orleans
Seattle
Arlington, Va
College Station, Tx
Ulan Bator Mongolia
Dubai
Seoul, Korea
Moscow, Russia
Jubail, Saudi Arabia
Kandahar, Afghanistan

Old 07-07-2013, 12:37 PM

14 posts, read 21,759 times
My list isn't terribly exciting. I have a hard time ranking them, because none are perfect for me.

Des Moines, IA - Grew up in a small suburb and also spent some time in DM proper. Total: 25+ years. The weather (especially the winter) stinks. I suppose I'm mostly attracted by the relatively low COL and family there. It does have some shopping, culture, etc but nothing extraordinary.

Seattle - About 3 years now. I have a love-hate relationship with the place. It's just too big for me. (The fact that I prefer smaller cities obviously taints this whole ranking). I like the rain, but the darkness can get old. I wish there was a little more summer and nicer fall. I miss summer thunderstorms. I love the coffee and the liberal attitudes. I hate the tiny yards and constant traffic. The Sound is cool. I'm not a mountain person though.

Muncie, IN - lived there 5 years. Has most basics in a small, easily drivable area, and better stuff in NE Indy is 45 minutes away. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I was fairly content there. I like college towns.

New Port Richey, FL - 1 year. Can't stand the weather. I was poorer when I lived there, so I really didn't get to do much. Loved the beaches though. NPR had a lot of retirees, not young families, so I probably wouldn't go back now. I'd choose a different town in the area.

Irvine (Orange Co), CA - 5 years. Too dry, too expensive, too many people, too much hideous traffic. I don't think you could pay me to move back.

Last edited by zannster; 07-07-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 05:49 PM

22,960 posts, read 28,917,970 times
I've only lived in two places:

1. Northridge/Porter Ranch, California. I like it here, overall. I liked it better in the 1980s and earlier when it was not as developed, less crowded and less traffic. But it's still a good area. Low crime rate, wide streets (see photo), plenty of parking, out of the smog zone, not much fog and not as hot as the desert. Good scenery and mountains nearby.

2. Arleta/Pacoima, California. Only lived here up to age 5 so don't remember much about it. It was a nice area back then. Now it consists of a lot of immigrants, both legal and illegal, some gangs and a relatively high crime rate. But the streets are not too bad and parking is okay. But I am glad I live in the city above!

Old 02-15-2018, 06:04 AM

123 posts, read 264,573 times
Default I get around

1. South Jersey-Born and raised. Grew up in the suburbs close to the Jersey Shore. Back then it was a great place to live and work. Very family oriented communities, farm land, clean, quiet, and altogether nice. Present day it sucks. Gangs have moved in, big corporations have closed/relocated, dirty, it sucks.

2. Pittsburgh PA- Went to school there. First city I moved to alone. Back in 1996 it seemed like utopia. So many different colleges, parties, parties, and yup more parties. I didn't care if the winters there sucked I just wanted to have a good time and I did(way to much). I actually lived in Pittsburgh twice. When I moved back to Pittsburgh in 2014 I moved there for a job. The city was so much different than I remember. Driving into the downtown Pittsburgh is spectacular. The city is beautiful with all the bridges and the mountains in the backdrop. Pittsburgh is up and coming. Tons of high paying jobs, cheap cost of living, and technology is going to put Pit on the map. Yes the winters are grey but the spring, summer, and fall is AMAZING! If your into real estate now is the time buy before the prices go thru the roof.(trust me on this).

3. San Antonio TX- Moved there back in 2001. Literally a week after 9-11 happened. It was my first time ever being in Texas. I was in for a major culture shock. However, I fell in love with SA. The people were so friendly and kind that I was scared at first. I'm from NJ....we don't do "nice". The cost of living back then was so much cheaper than NJ. $525 for a 2br/2ba apartment in a great area of the city. I lived there for a little over 2 years. Then moved back home to NJ.

4. Andros Island Bahamas- Relocated there for a job assignment. Beautiful island. There was so much raw beauty there. It left me amazed and literally blew my mind. Beautiful beaches and turquois water. The locals were super nice. One of the most unique places I have lived thus far. AWESOME time there....AWESOME!

5. Dallas Texas- I know people are going to be pissed but I didn't enjoy Dallas. Great food and a decent nightlife but something about Dallas was lacking to me. I lived in a nice suburb called Frisco and eventually moved to the city of Dallas. Frisco is super nice but very expensive. There are tonssssssss of jobs in Dallas/Ft.Worth metro! Tons!

6. Atlanta GA- My time in Atlanta was super fun. I lived there for 2 years. I lived in Mcdonough(suburbs) and Marietta(suburbs) The nightlife was hands down the best. You could never claim to be bored in Atlanta. There is so much going on in every direction its mind blowing. Celebrities EVERYWHERE. Low cost of living, great food, friendly people. Very diverse. One thing I do have to add is there is HIGH CRIME. Lots of scams as well. Just use common sense and you will be just fine. Great place to live, play, and work. If you have children do private or charter schools(trust me on this).

7. Houston TX- I have lived in Houston twice. My first time I did not like it. I hated the traffic. Traffic is the absolute WORST! High crime throughout the city. I was miserable. The second time I lived there I absolutely fell in love with Houston. I lived in a suburb called Katy. Katy is a wonderful place to raise a family. Clean, awesome schools, and a sense of community. I actually got out more and explored Houston. Amazing people, culture, food, nightlife. The beach isn't far away. Trust me Houston is awesome. Tons of GOOD jobs. Down side is the traffic and the HEATTTTTT(it gets super hot and humid).

8. Austin TX- Austin was meh(OK). Weird is definitely and understatement. I was shocked at how many homeless people were there. They beg non-stop. I am not kidding. It was almost trendy to be homeless there. I bet half of the beggars were not homeless and pan handling was there 9-5. The food was decent. People were friendly. Rent was high there. Tons of jobs! I only stayed for about 7 months. I think if I went there in my 20's I would of had a much better time. If you have a family check out a suburb called Round Rock. Pretty nice place with good schools.

9.Jacksonville FL- My current city. I am counting down the days to leave. I really do not like this city. I don't like the vibe here. The energy is lacking. SUPER SUPER HIGH CRIME! Dirty! Lack of community. I am sorry, but I am not a fan of Jax. I live in south part of the city
near the beach and feel like this is most non beach town I have ever been to. No culture here and the food is lacking. I am going crazy here from the flying roaches, little lizards getting inside of your home, bad drivers, constant rain, lack of good food options, poor schools, hard to make friends, and a bevy of other things. I am sorry I know there are people out there that loves everything about this place but it's just not for me.

Last edited by travelbug76; 02-15-2018 at 06:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City