U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 05:17 PM

489 posts, read 779,394 times

Advertisements

1. DC: has almost everything I could ever want. If it wasn't for cost, I'd live there right now.
2. San Diego: beach, weather, things to do
3. Charlotte: my home. It's beautiful, and my sports teams are here. Friendliest people out of every place I've lived.
4. Salt Lake City: Outdoor life. Very progressive for a small "Red State". I hate snow, and it's in the middle of nowhere. Next closest city is Vegas, and I hate Vegas.
5. Phoenix: Hate the weather. Very clean. Fun things to do. Really hate the heat.
6. Tulsa: Too young to remember. Have never had a reason to go back.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 05:20 PM

9,905 posts, read 19,744,965 times
1 - Albuquerque/Santa Fe, NM: I've been in New Mexico for a little over a year, first 3 months in Santa Fe and then I found a better job in ABQ. I absolutely love the climate here with mild winters and long but not too hot summers and plenty of sunshine. The number of cloudy days in Mass and WA bothered me so I've enjoyed the change. I'm an avid outdoorsman and I'm drawn to the Southwest because it just looks so different here than everywhere else in the country. ABQ is a great base for road trips to places like the Colorado Rockies, Grand Canyon, and cool places in NM like Taos and White Sands.

I also wanted to try living in a sun belt area and this state just seemed most agreeable to me, very live and let live and the best climate. I like it here well enough though I can't see myself settling in NM permanently. I'd rather live in Santa Fe as it's cleaner and more attractive and has more palpable charm and character, ABQ doesn't have enough walkable areas. The culture is very interesting (Hispanic/Anglo/Native American) though it's not very diverse. My job which I love, affordable cost of living, and nice climate will keep me around here for a little while longer.

2 - Seattle, WA: I spent half of my 20's living a Capital Hill in Seattle, and definitely enjoyed living there. It's a good place for a twenty something to sew wild oats. As far as urban and cities go Seattle is my favorite big city and it's my favorite foodie city as well. I had so many restaurants, bars, parks, coffee shops, and a few grocery stores that I could walk to, and downtown shopping was an easy walk as well. My legs were in very good shape walking up those steep hills. I don't miss the climate (not enough sunny days) or the social Seattle Freeze. I do remember Seattle fondly though as it was the perfect place for me at the time and I miss it sometimes.

3 - Salem, MA: Salem is my favorite place that I've ever lived. Though it was for 2 short years, living in the Witch City was good times for me. I miss the history, architecture, walkable neighborhoods and downtown. Salem in October was fun as Halloween is a big deal and they celebrate all month long. Only 15 miles from Boston and close to beautiful coastline and beaches on the scenic North Shore. Downtown has improved a lot of the years with a lot of new restaurants, Salem Beer Works is great, as is the farmers market.

4 - Newburyport/West Newbury, MA: I grew up and spent most of my life in this area. It was a wonderful area to grow up in, beautiful beaches, nice downtown, and very safe. I rode my bike all over these towns as a kid. Though I have fond memories growing up in the area, it's not a place I feel connected to anymore.

In the future, I'd love to live in Hawaii.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-07-2013 at 05:44 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 12:49 PM

112 posts, read 155,847 times
Memphis - DEAD last

too many cities I've lived in to reflect, but this one is by FAR the most backward and worst.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:26 PM

800 posts, read 906,942 times
1. Arlington, TX - Grew up here. So it's home. Nothing beats it or DFW as whole.

2. Atlanta, GA - Man, if Atlanta had better traffic and was closer to the coast, this would be my #1. Absolutely love it here.

3. Barbados - Love it here, the island weather is amazing, the culture is amazing, but eventually I began to miss more American things

4. Monroe, LA - Smaller and quaint. I'm a fan of bigger cities, but the people here are very nice and it's nice to get away from the rush of the city every now and then.

5. Orlando, FL - I just don't really like Florida as a whole. Way overhyped. The beach is great but you can only do it so much. Outside of that it's pretty ordinary, aside from the crazy humidity and heat. Plus crowded with people visiting the exorbitantly-priced theme parks. But the ordinary stuff is good. I've enjoyed my time down here but I don't think I would stay here willingly much longer. Hopefully when I graduate from UCF I can go somewhere out west.

Next place I'd like to get to is Phoenix or San Diego. Maybe Palm Springs or Palmdale. I've always liked the desert Southwest and it appeals more than the East Coast, Midwest, or PNW does.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:47 PM

9 posts, read 14,007 times
1. Chicago- has a little bit of everything even during the winter (currently living and left it for 6 years and will never do that again)

2. Phoenix- terrible city with a lot of sprawl and the most uneducated people i have come across. heat really got to me

Old 06-20-2013, 06:07 PM

309 posts, read 645,603 times
1) Seattle - It's not perfect, but it's still hard to beat for the most part.

2) San Francisco - Definitely a great and unique place. I prefer Seattle because I actually like getting some rain and clouds. San Francisco was too sunny for me. I also like how Seattle is so green and has amazing nature. Seattle looks, feels, and even smells cleaner than San Francisco to me. Regardless, you can't go wrong with San Francisco and the Bay Area. I just personally happen to like Seattle better. I sure do miss the Bart though. The Bart gives San Francisco a major advantage over Seattle.

3) Alameda, California - See #2 description.

4) Palm Desert, California - Palm Desert during the months of November, December, January, February, March, and April is totally paradise on earth. If you are rich and can afford a second home here then consider yourself very lucky. However, this place sucks as a year-round place to live. It is hell on earth during the summer. It's over 100 degrees and sunny everyday during the summer. It's ok for a while but it gets really old very fast. You start to get really cranky in September and especially in October when it is still 100 degrees outside. It's like the movie Groundhog Day where everyday feels the same. Plus, there is only so much golf and tennis you can play and days you can spend laying by the pool before that gets really old and boring. The Desert weather makes you want to be up in Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska. Many wealthy people that I know and have met, have their primary residence up in the Pacific Northwest where they will live during the months of May through October and then their Desert home where they will live during the months of November through April. I had someone once tell me that living half of the year in the Pacific Northwest and the other half of the year in the Southern California Desert is the best of both worlds.

Last edited by 007jamesbond; 06-20-2013 at 06:18 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 07:12 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,631,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
1. and Only. Charlotte, NC. - As this my hometown, born and bred. I personally can't stand the city. Now my opinion might be biased....because its home and I have never lived anywhere else. Charlotte "reeks". There is nothing to do, the city lacks culture, and its very bland and boring. Yes you may say my opinion does not count because I havent lived anywhere else...but working on trying to relocate out of here...Looking at Phoenix. HOme is on the market and just waiting to sell....
You are lucky you don't live in Oklahoma City. If you did, you would be begging to go back to Charlotte which would be like NYC to you.

Out of all the places I've lived, Charlotte was my far and away favorite.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:21 AM

7,551 posts, read 6,355,770 times
1) Albany, NY
2) Davie Fl

3) Kannapolis NC

Old 06-24-2013, 06:59 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,685,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
1. Charlotte, North Carolina: Went to High school here, and my parents and sister still live here. I live here when I'm not at college. Love Southern living.
2. NYC, New York: I have been trying, and still am trying, to be as southern as possible, and don't want to go back up north, but I was born and raised in NYC. I still love NYC, even though I constantly bash the Northeast. Proud of the fact that no matter what, when I look at my birth certificate it'll always say "Brooklyn, New York"
* 2A: Staten Island
* 2B: Queens
* 2C: Brooklyn (though, ironically, Brooklyn is my favorite borough to visit)
3. Morgantown, West Virginia: I go to college here. Too northern (geographically, and culturely) for my tastes. I like it though. I'm a huge sports junkie, and Morgantown is definitely a sports town. Social life is great.
4. Tannersville, Pennsylvania: Didn't enjoy living in the Poconos for a variety of complex reasons, but the town is nice, and the Camelback/Camelbeach resorts are amazing.
Updated:
1. Morgantown, WV - Yea, it's summer and I want to be back at college! I love Motown and while it's not a major city or the sexist town in America, it's good enough for me and it's a great place to be. Social life, sports scene is AMAZING. Very diverse town too, students from all over the nation and we have a good amount of international students.
2. Charlotte, NC - Lately, I think I realized that I'm burned out on Charlotte, but I have so many good memories here so it only drops to #2. I like it here and it's a great place to raise a family, but I think at least for now I'm tired of it.
3. New York City - Speaking of burn outs, I've been burned out with NYC since I moved to NC, but I desperately want to visit it again, it's been a long 3 years since I last visited.
* 3A: Brooklyn
* 3B: Queens
* 3C: Staten Island
4. Tannersville, PA - No change of opinion.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:07 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,801,435 times
NYC
Philly
New Haven,Ct
Bronxville,NY
Ottowa, Canada
London, England - i was 3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City