Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 06:56 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
i appreciate that but i don't see any similarities (or even potential similarities) except on the most superficial level. Its like you telling me that Portland is attempting to follow the nodal structure of NYC. Paris does have better transit connections between outer areas but the reality is it still has an extremely dominant urban core, and LA doesn't and probably never will.
Again your missing the point, no one is saying LA will become the next Paris, you're trying to make comparisons with LA's core with Paris which is ridiculous, the core will be just one of many cbd's spread out throught out the city just the way Paris has done, is that more clear to you

Old 01-21-2012, 06:57 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
i appreciate that but i don't see any similarities (or even potential similarities) except on the most superficial level. Its like you telling me that Portland is attempting to follow the nodal structure of NYC. Paris does have better transit connections between outer areas but the reality is it still has an extremely dominant urban core, and LA doesn't and probably never will.
It has an urban core that is more decentralized like Paris instead of centralized like NY or DC. That's all that I mean.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
It isn't really following the model of Paris, but it's more like Paris than NYC, DC, or Chicago. LA has plans to connect all of it's nodes with rail, which is similar to Paris except that since LA will have only a fraction of the density, light rail should be sufficient. And stations will be 1-2 km apart instead of 0.5-1 km.
I knew what you were saying but some people like to jump to their own conclusions

Old 01-21-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Again your missing the point, no one is saying LA will become the next Paris, you're trying to make comparisons with LA's core with Paris which is ridiculous, the core will be just one of many cbd's spread out throught out the city just the way Paris has done, is that more clear to you
I only mentioned Paris to have a comparison to a city that people know something about and has a good urban perception. But people freak out with comparisons. I should have known better.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
I inderstand the discussion but the spread on LA job centers is more similar to a Houston (or better stated Houston is more similar to LA). There are more differences than similarities of Paris to LA. DC to me seems more similar in the US in many ways, and like La Defense (outside the city limits) the area just accross the river is more like this.

Also the multi-nodal job centers is really not all that unique anywhere in America. Even VERY core centric cities like Boston/Philly/NYC have many LARGE nodes

To me it will be interesting to see how the new subway system better links DTLA areas and whther the momentum of more afluence continues in the DTLA area.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
It has an urban core that is more decentralized like Paris instead of centralized like NY or DC. That's all that I mean.
I wouldn't exactly call DC centralized, and actually see more similarities with it and Paris

Old 01-21-2012, 07:04 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I inderstand the discussion but the spread on LA job centers is more similar to a Houston (or better stated Houston is more similar to LA). There are more differences than similarities of Paris to LA. DC to me seems more similar in the US in many ways, and like La Defense (outside the city limits) the area just accross the river is more like this.

Also the multi-nodal job centers is really not all that unique anywhere in America. Even VERY core centric cities like Boston/Philly/NYC have many LARGE nodes

To me it will be interesting to see how the new subway system better links DTLA areas and whther the momentum of more afluence continues in the DTLA area.
The momentum shows no sign of letting up even in this bad economy. It'll be interesting to see the effect the EXPO line, regional connector and streetcar line have in the coming years

Old 01-21-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:

I'd agree that LA is probably a lot more like Houston than Paris (I haven't been to Houston), but we're discussing what LA's plan is for the future. LA does not plan to be more like Houston. Even Houston wants to be less like Houston.

What you see in DC, NYC, and Chicago is full trains headed into a relatively small area in the am rush and relatively empty trains headed back in the other direction. What you see in Paris, and hopefully in the future in LA, is full trains headed in many different directions.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:

LOL well I can only speak for myself when I say that I see no resemblence between LA and Paris, the only thing that I am saying is that LA is more multi-nodal than any othe city in the U.S. and if I would pick a city to compare it too eventhough I still think they are very different is Tokyo, LA is not trying to become like any other city and it never has, it just grew in a time before the auto was dominant and it boomed in the time of the automobile, if anything other cities have taken after LA

Old 01-21-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
I wouldn't exactly call DC centralized, and actually see more similarities with it and Paris
It is as far as jobs go. That's what I mean. If we mean residents, then that's completely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City