Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 10:41 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I keep changing the rules?? I don't know, kidphilly, I usually think you have some good things to say -- and we see eye to eye on many things -- but you seem to have some irrational grudge against me.

So let's recap. This was my initial post that started this whole South Beach vs. LA kerffufle. Please read it.

And these were the responses I got:

*My edit.

So who is changing the rules kidphilly?

Oh my word....dude, give it a rest.......damn.

South Beach has some attributes that are not comparable in the US, including Manhattan . So whats your point, kidphilly is correct on his points, but so what. They are different places....

Old 01-23-2012, 10:41 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
But back to this topic it is about DTs; of which Westwood and Hollywood dont really qualify nor should be part of the discussion.
I have to agree. Though Hollywood has a lot of the characteristics of a CBD (lots of businesses, retail, cultural and entertainment attractions) it does not represent / serve as the center of a region that many smaller cities' downtowns represent / serve as.

If you were to include Hollywood then Brooklyn would definitely rank higher as far as a second 'boroughs' downtown. (using borough for Hollywood since that is the closest description I can think of.)

Would Century City count as a major CBD? It lacks much of the vibrancy of most 'natural' or 'organic' downtowns, so I personally wouldn't put it in there either, but once the subway station goes in (hopefully at Avenue of the Stars and not Santa Monica Blvd) then it will be more pedestrian friendly and more like a traditional downtown. I guess this goes for the 'second downtown' areas in Houston and Atlanta as well.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
DTLA, Hollywood, Santa Monica are all basically as vibrant (different but vibrant none-the-less) and far more walkable than S Beach or Miami Beach IMHO

S Beach has Collins Ave and a promenade (SM promenade is better IMHO but collins is different in many ways)

There are not many places like S Beach if at all but on walkability many surpass

If you want the S Beach scene, well another story but I was talking walkability. Seems you keep changes the rules a bit honestly
Wrong. South Beach does not have just "Collins Ave and a promenade" (By "promenade" I assume you mean Ocean Drive - a world famous 10+ block stretch packed with tourists, restaurants and nightspots).

It also has Washington, Lincoln, Espanola, SoFi (south of 5th - lots of restuarants), and plenty of action even beyond. How many times have you been to Miami? Have you ever been to Lincoln Road???

Old 01-23-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Wrong. South Beach does not have just "Collins Ave and a promenade" (By "promenade" I assume you mean Ocean Drive - a world famous 10+ block stretch packed with tourists, restaurants and nightspots).

It also has Washington, Lincoln, Espanola, SoFi (south of 5th - lots of restuarants), and plenty of action even beyond. How many times have you been to Miami? Have you ever been to Lincoln Road???

Are you from Miami?
Id say Lincoln road is more like the SM promenade.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Oh my word....dude, give it a rest.......damn.

South Beach has some attributes that are not comparable in the US, including Manhattan . So whats your point, kidphilly is correct on his points, but so what. They are different places....
That may be true... Meatpacking would probably be the closest thing but still different. But that was not the discussion. I made my statement and people jumped on me. So may be the moral of the story is that people should give measured responses, like yours, instead of "I can name at least 10" in true irrational homer style.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
That may be true... Meatpacking would probably be the closest thing but still different. But that was not the discussion. I made my statement and people jumped on me. So may be the moral of the story is that people should give measured responses, like yours, instead of "I can name at least 10" in true irrational homer style.

Im a California boy, and I love Miami, been there 9 times in the last 10 years. Ive even got a book that discussed the mirrored growth of LA and Miami historically. I love them both, but they're not the same. They both have attributes that are not comparable to any other cities.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Are you from Miami?
Id say Lincoln road is more like the SM promenade.
I am from NY. But my parents live near Miami and I go there a lot.

I'll grant you, there are some similarities between Lincoln Road and SM promenade area. But I would still give the edge to Lincoln Road (though I'll admit it's been a few years since I've been to LA). Frankly, I don't think there is anything quite like Lincoln Road anywhere in the US.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:53 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Frankly, I don't think there is anything quite like Lincoln Road anywhere in the US.
Why? What is so special about it?

It is funny that someone who obviously loves Miami has such a dislike for Los Angeles. One of the biggest things people from the Northeast have with LA's urbanity is its totally different architectural style (brownstones and rowhouses vs. detached apartment buildings and tightly packed single family homes) But one other urban city that shares that style is Miami.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I am from NY. But my parents live near Miami and I go there a lot.

I'll grant you, there are some similarities between Lincoln Road and SM promenade area. But I would still give the edge to Lincoln Road (though I'll admit it's been a few years since I've been to LA). Frankly, I don't think there is anything quite like Lincoln Road anywhere in the US.

I dont know about that, it is somewhat unique....the fact that its pedestrian makes it different, but the amenities arent that big a deal really. Ive walked it several times, had dinner there twice, and its fun for sure, but I'd have just as much fun at SM Promenade or State street in Santa Barbara, La Jolla in SD, Pacific Beach in SD, Newport Beach, DT San Luis Obispo. Even Laguna Beach, Manhattan/Hermosa Beach. I brought up mainly beach cities for the comparison. Theres lots of places you get a good mix of young people and more mature people that enjoy an outdoor space, that has good restaurants & good shopping.
Its a great spot, but I dont think its that unique.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:06 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
I named 4 L.A. neighborhoods that match/surpass Miami Beach in the categories listed. I could name more, but Miami Beach only got a 75 in walkability. Not worth my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City