Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 04:26 PM

233 posts, read 368,959 times

Advertisements

I find it surprising that anyone thinks Philly is close to Chicago or ever will be in decades. It has very narrow streets and is quite dark and dirty IMHO not to mention having many really cruddy streets near the main streets in Center City. The city still has to subsidize building with tax breaks, certainly not a sign of a building boom.

Philly is definitely not on par with either SF or Boston either. There are hundreds if not thousands of housing units being built in Boston and Cambridge right now. There are numerous mixed use, office, apartment, condo, and lab buildings going up. The Seaport district is being built out and there are a number of places on the waterfront that didn't exist 10 years ago. If you want to see which places are the most desirable just look at rents for housing and commercial space. NY, Bos and SF are much more expensive in both categories, even though they each have much more commercial space than Philly .

Old 05-26-2012, 05:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
I find it surprising that anyone thinks Philly is close to Chicago or ever will be in decades. It has very narrow streets and is quite dark and dirty IMHO not to mention having many really cruddy streets near the main streets in Center City. The city still has to subsidize building with tax breaks, certainly not a sign of a building boom.

Philly is definitely not on par with either SF or Boston either. There are hundreds if not thousands of housing units being built in Boston and Cambridge right now. There are numerous mixed use, office, apartment, condo, and lab buildings going up. The Seaport district is being built out and there are a number of places on the waterfront that didn't exist 10 years ago. If you want to see which places are the most desirable just look at rents for housing and commercial space. NY, Bos and SF are much more expensive in both categories, even though they each have much more commercial space than Philly .

I dont think the DT on scale is the size nor will be with Chicago, Philly does have a very vibrant DT, in some ways especially at night surpassing the peak ares of Chicago but not the scale, nor will it be in our future.

On housing units; I suggest you look a little deeper at Philly, there are ~4,000 unit in Center under construction today, the population has grown by large strides in the last 20 years. Commercial space is another issue though there are some adds. On the comparison to research space, there is currently 2 million sq ft in Unniversity City under construction with another 1 million about to break ground. Also the prices in Center City are not as cheap as you might suggest, Philly on the metro averages is definately less (not cheap by national standards) and in Center isnt that much cheaper than Boston actually.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:05 PM

233 posts, read 368,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I dont think the DT on scale is the size nor will be with Chicago, Philly does have a very vibrant DT, in some ways especially at night surpassing the peak ares of Chicago but not the scale, nor will it be in our future.

On housing units; I suggest you look a little deeper at Philly, there are ~4,000 unit in Center under construction today, the population has grown by large strides in the last 20 years. Commercial space is another issue though there are some adds. On the comparison to research space, there is currently 2 million sq ft in Unniversity City under construction with another 1 million about to break ground. Also the prices in Center City are not as cheap as you might suggest, Philly on the metro averages is definately less (not cheap by national standards) and in Center isnt that much cheaper than Boston actually.
Not to say Philly isn't a great city, the question is about its DT and I believe it is not close to Chicago or Boston or SF. Just my opinion.

class A office rent approximately - check at Colliers.com:

SF $39/sqft
Boston $65/sqft
NYC $68/sqft
Philly $26/sqft

Philly city population

1990 1,585,577
2012 1,526,006

Philly gained approximately 8,500 people between 2000 and 2010.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:20 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
LOL!! Uptown Charlotte is not in the same tier as downtown Minneapolis or Denver. I know as I've lived in all three cities.
Its not THAT FAR off and us on part if not better than Cleveland and Pittsburgh so....

Old 05-26-2012, 08:25 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Not to say Philly isn't a great city, the question is about its DT and I believe it is not close to Chicago or Boston or SF. Just my opinion.

SF $39/sqft
Boston $65/sqft
NYC $68/sqft
Philly $26/sqft

Philly city population

1990 1,585,577
2012 1,526,006

The city gain and nabes are a completely different story, Center city grew by 10K (16%) since 2000 and the next set of nabes are growing faster

The 2010 Census | Philly

Also I agree Philly needs to do a better job with commercial real estate but to me is better than Boston as an example on food/restaurants and nightlife, also to me more vibrant overall and I love Boston. I honestly see Boston/Philly/SF as all very similar with their pluses and minuses and Chicago a different form and NYC just vastly larger and on a scale not comparable to any others. Chicago is closer to these three than to NYC that is for sure (Love Chicago too). But PHilly is probably changing for the better more rapidly still than any of these (it also fell harder even in the core)

Center City gets younger - Philly.com

Old 05-26-2012, 11:05 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:

SF $39/sqft
Boston $65/sqft
NYC $68/sqft
Philly $26/sqft

Philly city population

1990 1,585,577
2012 1,526,006

Chicago lost over 200,000 people between 2000 and 2010. That doesn't change the fact that Chicago is still a great city, so what's your point in bringing up Philly's population statistics?

Old 05-27-2012, 08:53 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:

SF $39/sqft
Boston $65/sqft
NYC $68/sqft
Philly $26/sqft
Not sure how office rents are directly correlative to the best downtowns. Sure, there is a general indication of the most expensive downtowns, which as to do with demand -- but it does not necessarily reflect downtown "tiers."

Old 05-27-2012, 09:14 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
1. New York is an entirely different animal, with a ridiculous magnitude of real estate investment on a world scale. So, comparison to any other cities than London, Paris or Tokyo is extremely off-base.

2. Both San Francisco and Boston both have similar scenarios of being pretty land-scarce cities. High rents and widespread revitalization of both cities is very highly related to the fact that both cities are extremely small by land area.

3. Even developers in New York count on incentives to attract buyers and marketability, so let's be fair, here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/re...ncentives.html

Especially for being a much more recent post-industrial city, Philadelphia has performed remarkably well and also continues to attract a lot private development. One thing that I foresee making Philly even more attractive to developers in the future is that it has a lot more develop-able land near its strongly-performing core than cities like Boston and SF.

In other words, it's not necessarily something to brag about if your office rents are cost-prohibitive to growing businesses. That is something that Philadelphia will definitely be able to capitalize on in the future as the economy recovers, particularly as a critical transportation/logistics/business hub in the middle of the financial and political capitals of the US.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
I kind of have a new perspctive on this, so here is my new list.
Tier 1:
-Midtown Manhattan

Tier 2:
-Lower Manhattan
-Chicago

Tier 3:
-San Francisco
-Boston
-Philadelphia
-Los Angeles
-Washington D.C.

Tier 4:
-San Diego
-Denver
-Minneapolis
-Portland
-Detroit
-Pittsburgh
-Seattle (Maybe tier 3?)

Tier 5:
-Charlotte
-Indianapolis
-Austin
-Nashville
-New Orleans
-Phoenix
-San Antonio
-Milwaukee
-Etc..

-Not sure on where Atlanta, Houston, Dallas and Miami would be placed.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:03 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,405 times
Tier 1:
-Midtown/Lower Manhattan

Tier 2:
- Chicago
- San Francisco
- Las Angeles

Tier 3:
- Seattle
- Atlanta
- Boston
- Denver
- Houston
- Dallas
- Miami

Tier 4:
- Minneapolis
- Portland
- Charlotte
- Austin
- New Orleans
- Phoenix

Tier 5:
- Cleveland
- Nashville
- Indianapolis
ect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City