Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 01:45 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,986,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
I can assure you I've been around the country (St. Paul, Houston and Nashville actually) enough to know Charlotte has one of the best downtowns.

We are clearly basing our lists off of different things and I don't expect you to share the same opinions as me, but you concluding that St. Paul, MN has a better/equal to downtown as Charlotte is silly.

I didn't base my decision off of just the skyline, honeyyy. You've clearly never been to Charlotte. Clearly.
Get out of here homer. Charlotte does not have one of the best downtown areas in the US. Uptown has almost zero in regards to shopping, it lacks a residential population, it has very few historic buildings, it's dead after 5 pm, etc.... Aside from an NFL stadium and a couple, shiny towers, downtown St. Paul has every thing that uptown Charlotte offers. And yes, I've been to Charlotte plenty; actually more than I care to admit (damn you Wells Fargo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
The guys is obviously a delusional homer, as small as St. Paul is it can only compete with cities the likes of Omaha or Des Moines
Unlike you, this guy has experienced both uptown Charlotte and downtown St. Paul. Again, with the exception of a few shiny towers and an NFL stadium, uptown Charlotte has nothing on downtown St. Paul - that's a fact. I get that you think you know what you are talking about, but all you need to do Instigator (great name BTW) is visit both. Thanks for reminding me of Omaha and Des Moines - they would go in my tier 10 downtown areas.

Last edited by YIMBY; 04-22-2013 at 02:17 PM..

Old 04-22-2013, 02:38 PM

274 posts, read 470,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Get out of here homer. Charlotte does not have one of the best downtown areas in the US. Uptown has almost zero in regards to shopping, it lacks a residential population, it has very few historic buildings, it's dead after 5 pm, etc.... Aside from an NFL stadium and a couple, shiny towers, downtown St. Paul has every thing that uptown Charlotte offers. And yes, I've been to Charlotte plenty; actually more than I care to admit (damn you Wells Fargo).

Unlike you, this guy has experienced both uptown Charlotte and downtown St. Paul. Again, with the exception of a few shiny towers and an NFL stadium, uptown Charlotte has nothing on downtown St. Paul - that's a fact. I get that you think you know what you are talking about, but all you need to do Instigator (great name BTW) is visit both. Thanks for reminding me of Omaha and Des Moines - they would go in my tier 10 downtown areas.
Hey Yimb, I guess you were so wrong about San Jose and some other cities since you've never been there!

Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 PM

Downtown Tier 1

Midtown Manhattan
San Francisco
Chicago Rivernorth
Seattle
Portland
Boston Back Bay
New Orleans

Downtown Tier 2

Denver
Boston
Minneapolis
San Diego
LA
Chicago Loop
Downtown Manhattan
Indianapolis
Baltimore

Downtown Tier 3

Houston
Pittsburgh
Dallas
Philadelphia
Atlanta
Detroit
Charlotte
San Jose
Miami
Albuqueque
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Kansas City

Downtown Tier 4

Phoenix
Sacramento
Fresno
Tampa

Old 04-22-2013, 02:51 PM

Downtown Manhattan would be on Tier 2 and San Antonio, too.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:10 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,136 times
Quote:

Yes, Charlotte, has the NFL stadium, soon to be baseball stadium, much more "shiny new towers", more dinning and hotel options (whether you care or not), more visitors, more office space, more employees and almost double the number of residence living in Uptown than St. Paul. What exactly does St. Paul have other than the arena? Your "facts" aren't very dependable and you're basing them off of your claimed experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOq4h-ss2lI
You obviously have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to Charlotte and you've obviously never been here. Dead after 5pm? Lol.

You can argue with yourself over whatever you choose to bring into the discussion next, but I've already proved my point.

Quote:
But all you need to do Instigator (great name BTW) is visit both. Thanks for reminding me of Omaha and Des Moines - they would go in my tier 10 downtown areas.
LOL. Ok. I'm not a double poster because other people agree with me. Get over yourself.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bird View Post
Hey Yimb, I guess you were so wrong about San Jose and some other cities since you've never been there!
Yeah, you are so right. After all, you placed Portland in tier 1 and Indianapolis within tier 2.

Where do you honestly think San Jose belongs??

I don't think it belongs with the cities I placed in Tier 6:
Los Angeles, New Orleans, Portland, Minneapolis, Denver, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Honolulu, and Miami.

It's really up in the air after the above cities, so if you think San Jose belongs in tier 7, 8, or 9 - fine with me as there is much difference between those downtown areas.

Last edited by YIMBY; 04-22-2013 at 03:36 PM..

Old 04-22-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Yes, Charlotte, has the NFL stadium, soon to be baseball stadium, much more "shiny new towers", more dinning and hotel options (whether you care or not), more visitors, more office space, more employees and almost double the number of residence living in Uptown than St. Paul. What exactly does St. Paul have other than the arena? Your "facts" aren't very dependable and you're basing them off of your claimed experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOq4h-ss2lI
You obviously have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to Charlotte and you've obviously never been here. Dead after 5pm? Lol.

You can argue with yourself over whatever you choose to bring into the discussion next, but I've already proved my point.

LOL. Ok. I'm not a double poster because other people agree with me. Get over yourself.
LOL!!! Nice video and how truly pathetic that someone went out of their way to make it. It's even more ridiculous that you posted it. Anyway, I don't think anyone who has actually been to both downtown areas would agree with you.

Uptown Charlotte is dead after 5pm the majority of the week. The rest of the time there are small pockets of activity. That is a fact.

Also, your claim that uptown Charlotte will have more visitors, more office space, more employees and almost double the number of residence living in Uptown than St. Paul is based on what exactly?

BTW, downtown St. Paul is about to get a new minor league baseball stadium - just like Charlotte.

Last edited by YIMBY; 04-22-2013 at 03:32 PM..

Old 04-22-2013, 03:30 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,675,731 times
Quote:
Downtown Tier 1

Midtown Manhattan
San Francisco
Chicago Rivernorth
Seattle
Portland
Boston Back Bay
New Orleans

Downtown Tier 2

Denver
Boston
Minneapolis
San Diego
LA
Chicago Loop
Downtown Manhattan
Indianapolis
Baltimore

Downtown Tier 3

Houston
Pittsburgh
Dallas
Philadelphia
Atlanta
Detroit
Charlotte
San Jose
Miami
Albuqueque
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Kansas City

Downtown Tier 4

Phoenix
Sacramento
Fresno
Tampa
I'm not sure what emoticon to use... so...

Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Pretty sure that is a new incarnation of Durf

Praise for the SJ DT

Oh and the Philly DT is bad, Borders closed...

Old 04-22-2013, 04:02 PM

725 posts, read 1,211,526 times
Quote:
Downtown Tier 1

Midtown Manhattan
San Francisco
Chicago Rivernorth
Seattle
Portland
Boston Back Bay
New Orleans

Downtown Tier 2

Denver
Boston
Minneapolis
San Diego
LA
Chicago Loop
Downtown Manhattan
Indianapolis
Baltimore

Downtown Tier 3

Houston
Pittsburgh
Dallas
Philadelphia
Atlanta
Detroit
Charlotte
San Jose
Miami
Albuqueque
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Kansas City

Downtown Tier 4

Phoenix
Sacramento
Fresno
Tampa
Worst list I've saw so far.... Horrible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City