Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 09:24 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
Charlotte does not have a very strong downtown. It's really suburban-feeling, sterile, and auto-oriented. Feels more like an office park than a regular, walkable, pedestrian-oriented area. Just sayin.
Charlotte's downtown (called Uptown by the locals) is certainly a work in progress and unfortunately doesn't have much historic stock left, but it's fairly urban and pedestrian-oriented although not all that dense.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:36 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bird View Post
I revised my Downtown Tier 1 list:

Tier 1

Philly
SF
Chi Mag Mile
NY Midtown
I fail to see how any of those even reaches the depths of Midtown Manhattan....Midtown Manhattan is by far the densiest, busiest, and most action packed urban core in the entire country by far....Nothing in the country ca match Theatre District and Times Square....nothing.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
If you believe this:

beats this:

Then you're delusional and simply a booster.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I fail to see how any of those even reaches the depths of Midtown Manhattan....Midtown Manhattan is by far the densiest, busiest, and most action packed urban core in the entire country by far....Nothing in the country ca match Theatre District and Times Square....nothing.
I fail to see why you are even bothering to respond to him.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:21 PM

178 posts, read 284,200 times
Anyone who doesn't rank Manhattan as #1 (and completely alone as #1) is a homer. That is all.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:32 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I don't see how downtown Atlanta is comparable to cities in the northeast.

Are you writing about Philly, Boston and DC when you refer to the northeast?

What areas in Atlanta are you referring to compared to"northeast". I have been missing an entire city when working in the city.
I think it was reference to downtown only, and the assertion is that downtown Atlanta is more comparable to northeaster downtown than to Dallas/Houston/etc. I can agree with that.

Some northeastern downtowns are older and larger than downtown Atlanta, but they still have more in common than Atlanta does with most sunbelt downtowns.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:04 PM

274 posts, read 705,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I think it was reference to downtown only, and the assertion is that downtown Atlanta is more comparable to northeaster downtown than to Dallas/Houston/etc. I can agree with that.

Some northeastern downtowns are older and larger than downtown Atlanta, but they still have more in common than Atlanta does with most sunbelt downtowns.
Downtown Atlanta may have more residents than the other sunbelt cities, but the built environment is much more similar to Houston or Dallas than it is to anywhere in the northeast.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:10 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
Downtown Atlanta may have more residents than the other sunbelt cities, but the built environment is much more similar to Houston or Dallas than it is to anywhere in the northeast.
I'm a fan of Atlanta, but it is at least a tier or two below places like Philly, Boston, and DC (or even Baltimore). And those places are all a tier below NYC.

IMO the best urban cores in the south are NOLA and Miami. Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas are a step below.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:40 PM

7 posts, read 19,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I'm a fan of Atlanta, but it is at least a tier or two below places like Philly, Boston, and DC (or even Baltimore). And those places are all a tier below NYC.

IMO the best urban cores in the south are NOLA and Miami. Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas are a step below.
Miami?

Old 05-03-2013, 02:07 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
That was my point...it isn't more similar to Houston or Dallas. Large areas of downtown Atlanta are pre-1900, so the streets are narrow and the building density is very high. Some areas of it are probably more like Dallas or Houston, but there are streets in the more historic areas that could easily be confused for a large northeastern city. So I guess downtown Atlanta has aspects of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City