Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i'm still curious about the OP posting lower & mid-town nyc

wtf? downtown brooklyn,queens should be tier 1 as well
I can vouch for Brooklyn (as it is a fully functioning Downtown ) but Queens? Where exactly is Downtown Queens? Lol

Old 01-18-2012, 12:00 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
1. NY

2. Chicago , SanFransico

3. Boston , Seattle, Philadelphia , LA

4. Denver , Minneapolis, Portland

These are the cities with vibrant downtowns and mutiple department stores. I rank cities on how 24hr they are and the amount of retail and attractions . Some of the cities in the tier listing are basicly vertical offfice park . When the cities are 9 to 5 cities with one department store downtown and not much going on. Denver , Minneapolis , and Portland have vibrant downtowns at least 2 department stores . Boston , Seattle and Philadelphia have large tourist and shopping based downtowns with multiple department stores. Chicago and Sanfransico are large American Icon cities heavly based on tourism and shopping and finance. And NY is NY.
Does this mean that Denver and Minneapolis are not 9 to 5 downtowns? Is that because they have 2 department stores instead of 1?

What about Washington, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland? They are 9 to 5 but at least they are active 9 to 5! Thats more than you can say about some of the cities that have been listed on here (e.g., Houston).

Old 01-18-2012, 04:00 PM

345 posts, read 833,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
1. NY

2. Chicago , SanFransico

3. Boston , Seattle, Philadelphia , LA

4. Denver , Minneapolis, Portland

These are the cities with vibrant downtowns and mutiple department stores. I rank cities on how 24hr they are and the amount of retail and attractions . Some of the cities in the tier listing are basicly vertical offfice park . When the cities are 9 to 5 cities with one department store downtown and not much going on. Denver , Minneapolis , and Portland have vibrant downtowns at least 2 department stores . Boston , Seattle and Philadelphia have large tourist and shopping based downtowns with multiple department stores. Chicago and Sanfransico are large American Icon cities heavly based on tourism and shopping and finance. And NY is NY.
I actually think this was probably the best list posted. Though I somewhat disagree with your reasoning. I would add Washington on 3, and drop LA down to 4. Maybe even Atlanta on 4. Overall, nice list.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:08 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post

I also feel like perhaps tier 5 should be split up. Austin, Cleveland, and a few others are quite at the level of Pittsburgh or Portland, but I feel they are also significantly better than fort worth or charlotte.
I just got back from Austin. I loved it. But its downtown is not in the same league as Portland, and it isn't close.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Ii disagree Boston is Bigger, more Vibrant, and has better nightlife ( though the cities are both somewhat conservitive in this area) also Pioneer Sq < Post Office sq, Seattle may beat Boston in Farmers markets but that's just about it.
Downtown Seattle feels bigger and more vibrant than downtown Boston. Also has better nightlife. Belltown and Pioneer Square both bookend downtown and are the major local nightlife destinations. When were you in Seattle? I lived there for 6 years and been to Boston many times as my dad and sister both used to live there.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:39 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Downtown Seattle feels bigger and more vibrant than downtown Boston. Also has better nightlife. Belltown and Pioneer Square both bookend downtown and are the major local nightlife destinations. When were you in Seattle? I lived there for 6 years and been to Boston many times as my dad and sister both used to live there.
I disagree Boston is more Vibrant than Seattles equvilants, Dtx and Newbury are better than any Seattl equvilae offers, not to mentin the Northend.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:34 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studdedleather View Post
i can vouch for brooklyn (as it is a fully functioning downtown ) but queens? Where exactly is downtown queens? Lol
lic? astoria?

agree not the same

Old 01-18-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I disagree Boston is more Vibrant than Seattles equvilants, Dtx and Newbury are better than any Seattl equvilae offers, not to mentin the Northend.

When were you in Seattle? Just curious, because I have spent time in both cities and Seattle is way more lively. The way you talk, it sounds like you never been there.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
When were you in Seattle? Just curious, because I have spent time in both cities and Seattle is way more lively. The way you talk, it sounds like you never been there.
Well literally everyone else disagrees with you, you said you had family in Boston so I would assume you visit during the Holidays which Nobody goes DT they are at Home.
I did go far by saying Back Bay is Better than DT Seattle, but you even said you would need to take out the Freedom trail ( a huge chinck of city center) to make them equal.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:03 PM

10 posts, read 13,322 times
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco, Philadelphia, Seattle
4. LA, Boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City