Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2016, 01:35 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times

Advertisements

Yeah, because truly great downtowns really needs a skyline to be great, right?

Old 09-30-2016, 01:38 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
It helps. I understand DC has the building height limit, which restricts it's skyline in, but for city with such beautiful residential architecture, it has a really bad downtown architecture.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:39 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:

to me the street level is more interesting That said I actually really like the DC skyline with the iconic national structures, I personally like that aspect and to me it I both iconic and to me a very interesting skyline because of what it is and how profound the tallest structure are that stick out

all other large cities have interesting (and not so) boxes that in many cases could be easily interchanged for DC not so much

Old 09-30-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
to me the street level is more interesting That said I actually really like the DC skyline with the iconic national structures, I personally like that aspect and to me it I both iconic and to me a very interesting skyline because of what it is and how profound the tallest structure are that stick out

all other large cities have interesting (and not so) boxes that in many cases could be easily interchanged for DC not so much
For me, the measure of a great downtown is whether I would spend any time there when I wasn't working. DC doesn't rank that high.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:03 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Im no fan of DC generally speaking, so this pains me to say, but:

DCs downtown shopping has catapulted due to City Center which I incorrectly dismissed at first, but having visited now acknowledge to be a top tier shopping center, even if it's relatively small, the caliber of the boutiques there is impeccable.

Also, DC is getting it's own Michelin restaurant guide next month or so, which is HUGE. Only NY, SF and Chicago had guides until now.

Combined with the city's vibrancy and growing international community, I look forward to seeing Washington DCs downtown continue to expand and add amenities.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:12 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
What do the Upper West Side and Upper East Side have to do with downtown anything?

I figured I get a response like this, so I made a thread in the general for him about defining downtown in various cities. For me, New York has two downtown; Midtown and Lower Manhattan. The midtown "downtown" is basically 59th St. down to the, maybe 23rd St, minus Murray Hill. The downtown "downtown" is Canal and below, minus Chinatown.

Chicago's Downtown is the Loop, Mag Mile, River North, and Streeterville, along with parts of the South Loop.

Again, that's just my opinion.
I respect your opinion, but I just can't fathom how you don't consider THIS "downtown" or THIS but you consider THIS "downtown".

Old 09-30-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I respect your opinion, but I just can't fathom how you don't consider THIS "downtown" or THIS but you consider THIS "downtown".
It's a matter of function. The UES is primarily a a residential neighborhood, and NO ONE in NY would consider it a part of "downtown" (downtown doesn't really mean downtown in NYC). Way to cherrypick probably the only gas station or surface parking lot in the entire area.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:28 PM

234 posts, read 142,385 times
Quote:
Skyline has zero to do with downtown quality. Towers might even harm downtown quality, depending on the city and whether the towers have parking garages.

Paris has one of the best downtowns on earth, and is about 100x better than any U.S. core not named NYC, and there are basically no towers in Paris' core.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:31 PM

234 posts, read 142,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It's a matter of function. The UES is primarily a a residential neighborhood, and NO ONE in NY would consider it a part of "downtown" (downtown doesn't really mean downtown in NYC). Way to cherrypick probably the only gas station or surface parking lot in the entire area.
The UES isn't "Downtown NYC" but the term "Downtown" in NYC has nothing to do with how it's commonly used in the rest of the country.

Using the non-NYC definition of "downtown" (which usually means "city center"), NYC's "downtown" is gigantic and probably 5 tiers above that of any other U.S. city. If you combined the downtowns in SF, Chicago, Boston, DC and Philly into one super-downtown, it would still be 2-3 tiers behind NYC.

NYC probably has the best "downtown" on the planet. I don't think any other U.S. city would be in the planet's Top 50. There's a gigantic gap.

IMO, if you want to rank American downtown area tiers, NYC needs to be put aside, and just consider everyone else.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomfield1 View Post
Skyline has zero to do with downtown quality. Towers might even harm downtown quality, depending on the city and whether the towers have parking garages.

Paris has one of the best downtowns on earth, and is about 100x better than any U.S. core not named NYC, and there are basically no towers in Paris' core.
Which arrondissments to you consider "downtown Paris"? Paris' CBD technically lies outside the city in La Defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City