Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:30 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Uh-oh... Cue 20 pages of psychobabble disguised as "frank discussion" on the merits of Texas.
Hopefully, not. Every city isn't for everyone, and hopefully we're all mature enough to accept that...Besides, Trimac is from Kangaroo Land, so his/her opinion doesn't count anyway.

But off the top of my head, I can't think of any city that had no redeeming qualities and I just flat out didn't like. There are plenty of places I would never want to live, but none that I thoroughly dislike. I guess I'm just more positive than the average person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 11:12 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
NYC
Birmingham, AL
Atlanta
Nashville
Pittsburgh
Santa Ana, CA
San Bernardino, CA
Norwalk, CA
Hollywood, CA
Culver City, CA

Old 01-18-2012, 11:34 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
LA for me, just for personal taste. I've tried to like it though because my friends want to go on vacation there and I don't want to be holding them back. Been three times though with an open mind and it just never did it for me. That's just me though

I did see people mentioning things about people in NYC, and I LOOOVE NYC, and would be the first to say "that's just a stereotype, people in NYC are some of the nicest you'll meet". Ironically though, having been there a dozen times, it does happen to be the one place where I've been a little shocked sometimes at the mindset of the locals. There are certainly many nice people I've met from there, but of all my "wow, I can't believe he just said that", most were from NYC. I was at a run down dive bar around 23rd street a few years ago, and a random person walked all the way across the bar just to loudly point at me and say "oh my GOD - you're wearing a hoodie in a bar!?!? Where are you from? The Midwest or something?". I just had to laugh. I mean it was NOT a nice place, and the guy saying it might not have thrown a hoodie on that night, but he was dressed just as crappy as everyone else. I'm not sure if he was trying to act cool because he had a zit infested pizza face and wasn't attractive or what - but who goes out of their way to comment on someone's clothes in a dive bar? I'd been to the bar multiple times as well and knew the bartender. No one else even batted an eye at what I was wearing.

Last week I was at a gay bar and the guy I was talking with was pretty drunk, and seriously wouldn't shut up about his family being extremely famous in the 1940's and that he was filthy rich. He was blathering on how I was the cutest thing he's ever seen and that no one exists like me anywhere in Manhatta. He's marry me in a heartbeat, I was so nice and sweet, etc. etc. Then he took a drink and said "god, that shirt looks SO awful on you. It just look so cheap and common". He was totally serious too. I wasn't dressed to impress, but it was a normal looking Hugo Boss button up shirt. He was wearing a sweatshirt and jeans with a baseball cap. I just laughed. I mean I certainly am not a fashion god by any means, I just dress nicely without spending thousands and go with it. I had on nice jeans and a button up shirt. It was a Sunday night at a low key gay bar full of old drunk people and misfits. Half the people there were wasted brits who basically had their shirts on backwards.

NYC is the only place after traveling to 24 counties and all 50 states where I'll go out to a bar, normally a dive bar or something low key, and multiple times now I've had someone go out of their way to tell me they randomly do NOT like the shirt I am wearing. Who cares? The part I love is they're never dressed any better.

One of the things I really do like about the Midwest. It's much more about having a blast with your friends and being comfortable in what you're doing than worrying the entire time about being seen with the right people or having it all be about fashion.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:17 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
LA for me, just for personal taste. I've tried to like it though because my friends want to go on vacation there and I don't want to be holding them back. Been three times though with an open mind and it just never did it for me. That's just me though

I did see people mentioning things about people in NYC, and I LOOOVE NYC, and would be the first to say "that's just a stereotype, people in NYC are some of the nicest you'll meet". Ironically though, having been there a dozen times, it does happen to be the one place where I've been a little shocked sometimes at the mindset of the locals. There are certainly many nice people I've met from there, but of all my "wow, I can't believe he just said that", most were from NYC. I was at a run down dive bar around 23rd street a few years ago, and a random person walked all the way across the bar just to loudly point at me and say "oh my GOD - you're wearing a hoodie in a bar!?!? Where are you from? The Midwest or something?". I just had to laugh. I mean it was NOT a nice place, and the guy saying it might not have thrown a hoodie on that night, but he was dressed just as crappy as everyone else. I'm not sure if he was trying to act cool because he had a zit infested pizza face and wasn't attractive or what - but who goes out of their way to comment on someone's clothes in a dive bar? I'd been to the bar multiple times as well and knew the bartender. No one else even batted an eye at what I was wearing.

Last week I was at a gay bar and the guy I was talking with was pretty drunk, and seriously wouldn't shut up about his family being extremely famous in the 1940's and that he was filthy rich. He was blathering on how I was the cutest thing he's ever seen and that no one exists like me anywhere in Manhatta. He's marry me in a heartbeat, I was so nice and sweet, etc. etc. Then he took a drink and said "god, that shirt looks SO awful on you. It just look so cheap and common". He was totally serious too. I wasn't dressed to impress, but it was a normal looking Hugo Boss button up shirt. He was wearing a sweatshirt and jeans with a baseball cap. I just laughed. I mean I certainly am not a fashion god by any means, I just dress nicely without spending thousands and go with it. I had on nice jeans and a button up shirt. It was a Sunday night at a low key gay bar full of old drunk people and misfits. Half the people there were wasted brits who basically had their shirts on backwards.

NYC is the only place after traveling to 24 counties and all 50 states where I'll go out to a bar, normally a dive bar or something low key, and multiple times now I've had someone go out of their way to tell me they randomly do NOT like the shirt I am wearing. Who cares? The part I love is they're never dressed any better.

One of the things I really do like about the Midwest. It's much more about having a blast with your friends and being comfortable in what you're doing than worrying the entire time about being seen with the right people or having it all be about fashion.
That's an unfortunate sequence of events.

Where the hell you buying your shirts?

Old 01-18-2012, 01:42 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,886 times
I wouldn't say I "dislike" any of these cities, but I don't like them as much as other people seem to:

San Francisco. I had a nice trip there. The scenery is pretty, there were interesting things to see and do, their baseball stadium is awesome, but for some reason I just didn't care for the vibe. Maybe it was b/c I was there in late spring/early summer and it was a bit chilly. Maybe the built environment is too small and it didn't feel as much like a "big city" as I was expecting. Anyway, a nice place, but it just didn't knock my socks off and people often talk about how great it is.

Miami: Love the weather, love the water and the palm trees, but again, I just didn't like the vibe. I have been several times and just never had a great time. The clusters are kind of spread out and the people didn't seem very friendly.

Charlotte: I know it isn't known as a tourist destination, but I like the south and I like cities, so I was hoping it would be a somewhat interesting place to check out, but whenever I have been to Charlotte it has seemed bland. I couldn't find much of a nightlife scene and was not impressed with their museum. That one street looks nice (Tryon?) with all the big buildings, but I just don't get much personality from it.

And just so as to not be all negative, a few cities that I think are awesome: New York, New Orleans, Chicago, and DC.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:25 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
That's an unfortunate sequence of events.

Where the hell you buying your shirts?
I know, right...garage sales? I'd actually gotten the button down at a department store in Manhattan that was having a sale, and the hoodie was probably just random Old Navy or something. I had been on a plane earlier and just wanted to dump things at the hotel and go to a bar.

I work in the corporate world in the Chicago loop and go out often on the east/west coasts as well as Chicago. It's not like I don't know how to dress myself that random people would actually stop and yell at me. I'm wondering if it's just cause it was gay bars, and gay boys love to critique clothes. Most of them just don't yell it in your face in other cities.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:46 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Los Angeles.
Back when I was younger and lived in Oregon, I came down to LA and Orange County to see family friends a lot. I dreamt about going to this place and was in heaven when I got here. Now that I've lived here as a teenager and a young adult, I can't find much to like about it. It feels like it's all hype and no substance. The only things around here to do are mostly tourist oriented and dull, plus you have to drive far and brave through traffic to get anywhere, no matter what it's always "about 20 minutes" or more.

Austin also. I visited Austin for two weeks this past Christmas. I like everything about the town, but I don't get the right vibe there. Maybe it's the heat that comes 7 months out of the year, I don't know, but there's another reason and I can't quite put my finger on it. Even then, I'd still take it over any other part of Texas.

Las Vegas too. Maybe it's because I'm not 21 yet, or that I'm not a huge gambler, I'm not sure. But outside of the tourist areas, it has no substance. It's quite depressing really. Another thing, extreme HEAT, which I have the biggest anathema for. It might be fine to visit, but I'd rather chop my arm off than live there.
I just visited Portland 2 weeks ago and though it was very nice I could never imagine living there, first of all the city is waaay to small, everything dies down around 10pm, no diversity to speak of, but a very "cute/quiant" city, definitely a better place to raise a family or retire than LA, maybe it's because LA and Portland are opposites, also the "20 min to get anywhere" and everything to do is dull or touristy is because you're a newcomer and not only that you live in La Habra, seriously though how are you going to judge LA on la habra is like judging Portland from living in Vancouver WA

Old 01-18-2012, 03:04 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Charlotte: I know it isn't known as a tourist destination, but I like the south and I like cities, so I was hoping it would be a somewhat interesting place to check out, but whenever I have been to Charlotte it has seemed bland. I couldn't find much of a nightlife scene and was not impressed with their museum. That one street looks nice (Tryon?) with all the big buildings, but I just don't get much personality from it.
Sounds like it's been several years since you visited. I'm not saying it's a completely different city now, but over the years Uptown and surrounding areas have been rounding out pretty well with the Levine Center for the Arts (formerly known as the Wachovia/Wells Fargo Cultural Campus), the Epicentre, and the NC Music Factory. And there's also the neighborhood districts of NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, Southend, and Elizabeth that's geared more towards the locals and are centers of nightlife.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:22 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
I just visited Portland 2 weeks ago and though it was very nice I could never imagine living there, first of all the city is waaay to small, everything dies down around 10pm, no diversity to speak of, but a very "cute/quiant" city, definitely a better place to raise a family or retire than LA, maybe it's because LA and Portland are opposites, also the "20 min to get anywhere" and everything to do is dull or touristy is because you're a newcomer and not only that you live in La Habra, seriously though how are you going to judge LA on la habra is like judging Portland from living in Vancouver WA
I guess I should have been more clear. I've gone into LA a few times, every time I do, I just don't get the right feeling. Everything feels dirty and disorganised. It's nice for a visit, but I can't live there. Cities that have a lot of urban sprawl are not my thing, I'm more for places like San Francisco or New York. I also find it to be extremely overrated in general, and that kind of turns me off in itself (yes, I'm a borderline hipster, deal with it).
Portland is diverse, just in the same way LA is. There's places that stay open late, you just got know where to look.
I've lived here for 7 and a half years, and have visited here many times before moving, so I can't really say I'm a newcomer anymore now can I?

Old 01-18-2012, 03:27 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I think people down south are much more friendlier and happier people. Not Florida but everywhere else in the south.
True. Also, there are many small towns in states like New York and California which are very friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City