Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:36 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I think people down south are much more friendlier and happier people. Not Florida but everywhere else in the south.
maybe you mean just south florida.

i find (most of) the people in the rest of the state rather friendly. reserved, sure (it is a transient state after all), but approachable and generally friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
All Florida cities lol
Nice beaches and I love Disney World, but I'm honestly not sure I would enjoy living down there myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
ride the dc metro during morning/afternoon commute times. not a single person will even acknowledge your existence, and if you do happen to catch a glance, they're probably looking at you like they want to steal your soul to replace the one they sold to live in dc.
Well, same applies to MUNI, BART and Caltrain in SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I think people down south are much more friendlier and happier people. Not Florida but everywhere else in the south.
True.

Quote:
maybe you mean just south florida.

i find (most of) the people in the rest of the state rather friendly. reserved, sure (it is a transient state after all), but approachable and generally friendly.
I have an older friend from Naples. He left before all the Chicago/Cincinnati/Cleveland/Detroit/Indiana/East Coast retirees started buying up all the beachfront property. He's from the old school and also not from a larger city in the state, so he's a pretty chill guy.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:27 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,160 times
Quote:
ride the dc metro during morning/afternoon commute times. not a single person will even acknowledge your existence, and if you do happen to catch a glance, they're probably looking at you like they want to steal your soul to replace the one they sold to live in dc.
I had a hard time learning to like DC, and ultimately gave up, but I just don't relate to this type of complaint. Honestly, what are you expecting out of your morning commute? Isn't it nice just being able to skip the drive, and be safe and comfortable while you're at it?

Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
I tried to like Dallas, but I just don't. I like other cities in Texas like San Antonio, Austin, even Fort Worth but Dallas just rubbed me the wrong way. I love the skyline and the freeways were impressive but just got the vibe of it being overly materialistic, not very cohesive and too spread out, and a pretty lame and dead downtown, and tons of corporate office parks everywhere. Topographically its in the middle of nowhere also. I'm willing to give it another shot but first impressions really wern't so good.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:18 PM

74 posts, read 275,094 times
Anywhere in South Florida. I tried, my wife and I both tried to like it here, but we just couldn't. At all. We hate it, and are very excited to be leaving soon.
I've been here for 7 years while she's been here for 6, and we still can't seem to like it.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:35 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Dallas, but I didn't try very hard. The "fashionable" part of town is on Turtle Creek Boulevard and it is a complete joke... it's clearly an invention by Dallas planners and people pay Manhattan prices to live in what looks/feels like an exurban office park.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:29 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,381 times
Vegas and LA both didn't live up to the "hype" prior to my first visit.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:36 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
I think in SF it's mostly the men who have something stuck up their arse (I thought you Americans said 'ass').

Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
I don't 'try' to like a place. I either like it or I don't. Some cities, like Houston, just don't deserved to be liked.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:58 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't 'try' to like a place. I either like it or I don't. Some cities, like Houston, just don't deserved to be liked.
Uh-oh... Cue 20 pages of psychobabble disguised as "frank discussion" on the merits of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City