Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 11:10 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post
Salt Lake City. It's the only world famous city that's not too important. The lake is overated; there's no lakeside development as you would expect from a city that hosted the olympics. The main attraction is the Mormon temple, which is a waste of time if you're not Mormon.
Great points. I didn't consider SLC, since I've never lived there.

The lake is salty and the shoreline is real drab. There's this one moorish structure, I think it's called Saltair, that was an attempt at a lakeside development. It looks abandoned from I-70. Well, as for the Mormon Temple, it's closed to non-Mormons, anyway. I don't see why any non-Mormom would even consider living there. Not to mention isolated, too. I've changed planes in their airport, which is fine, but SLC doesn't even register.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 12:08 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post
Salt Lake City. It's the only world famous city that's not too important. The lake is overated; there's no lakeside development as you would expect from a city that hosted the olympics. The main attraction is the Mormon temple, which is a waste of time if you're not Mormon. The public transport system sucks; the light rail only has 3 lines, the mountains are huge and gloomy, the people OBEY the speed limit (unthinkable in LA!) there's no Los Angeles-grade congestion, the highways are an archaic six lanes (usually 10-12 lanes in LA) and the awesome master-planned communities with their sprawl at its most aesthetic are down yonder in West Jordan. The downtown SERIOUSLY lacks even the skyline of Houston or Portland or Vancouver.

The best, most exciting and world-class thing about any boring city (Salt Lake City included) is the International Airport (you do need to make first impressions). It is fairly modern and high capacity, the proportions are on par with Taipei's airport, with 30 million annual passengers and flights to Tokyo and Paris, but it doesn't have the defining feature of excellent airports-the Automated People Mover, the futuristic, driverless, free train that transports passengers between terminals.
Sounds like you were expecting another Los Angeles..

Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 AM

239 posts, read 509,072 times
Albany, NY and most of the other smaller cities in its metro area (Schenectady and Troy). It doesn't seem that bad when you first move here but it really becomes the pits the longer you've lived here. I think Albany is a good place to go to college because there a lot of good schools here, the COL is very reasonable for a college student, and there are enough bars/restaurants/venues to keep a low-budget college student entertained..but that's it.

The city of Albany itself seems to have a lot of violent crime in relation to its size. Downtown Pearl St. near the state government offices has some beautiful architecture, but it has no substance. There are a few clubs there for college students, but recently there have been so many fights and shootings in the area that the police are thinking of just shutting all the clubs down and entertainment venues down. It's really sad because the downtown area has potential. If downtown Pearl St. in Albany was like downtown Annapolis, it'd be so much better.

Being that Albany is in Upstate NY, it has some of the worst weather conditions in the country with freezing winters (average 20s) and dismal climate, from November to April it feels like one giant cloud covers the area. I actually prefer the weather in Seattle over Albany, that's how bad it is. The economy could has be a lot better, as with the rest of Upstate NY. The few highlights only consist of downtown Saratoga Springs, Lake George, and the Adirondacks/Catskills during the warm weather months. Many of the surrounding suburbs are nice with good schools, so the area is fine for families but never for a young professional. It seems that nobody moves to Albany unless 1) College, 2) An amazing job offer one couldn't find elsewhere (which is rare), 3) Families from NYC or Boston metro area to escape the high COL.

Sorry that this rant was long, but my two cents.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:48 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,021 times
Chicago. Oh how I tried! It just wasn't for me.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:59 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
I despise Atlanta. Oh let's see..."ATL" isn't all it is cracked up to be.
Where to begin? Traffic-clogged interstates, pathetic mass transit, rascism from every possible angle, screaming rightwing radio demigogues, screaming leftwing weirdos, corrupt government, obnoxious displays of wealth, 30 k/yr millionaires; abject poverty 5 minutes from downtown, perrenial sports failures, What-iz-it?, Michael Vick, T.I., Chris Benoit, pollen everywhere, the southern belle myth, still fighting the Civil War, Atl vs. the rest of Georgia on every issue in the legislature, inadequate and corrupt policing, chain store infestation, water shortage, urban sprawl, smog, educational class divide with the poor and working class stuck with inferior public schools, voluntary and involuntary segregation, high-school like cliques with rare intermixing (i.e. L5P, Buckhead, Castleberry Hill), ridiculously stupid liquor laws and expensive drink prices most places, ever increasing taxes with diminished services, seceeding suburbs run by private companies, McMansion subdivisions...
This reads like demented fiction from another planet to me. At any rate, most of this is purely personal opinion presented as fact.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:07 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
I despise Atlanta. Oh let's see..."ATL" isn't all it is cracked up to be.
Where to begin? Traffic-clogged interstates, pathetic mass transit, rascism from every possible angle, screaming rightwing radio demigogues, screaming leftwing weirdos, corrupt government, obnoxious displays of wealth, 30 k/yr millionaires; abject poverty 5 minutes from downtown, perrenial sports failures, What-iz-it?, Michael Vick, T.I., Chris Benoit, pollen everywhere, the southern belle myth, still fighting the Civil War, Atl vs. the rest of Georgia on every issue in the legislature, inadequate and corrupt policing, chain store infestation, water shortage, urban sprawl, smog, educational class divide with the poor and working class stuck with inferior public schools, voluntary and involuntary segregation, high-school like cliques with rare intermixing (i.e. L5P, Buckhead, Castleberry Hill), ridiculously stupid liquor laws and expensive drink prices most places, ever increasing taxes with diminished services, seceeding suburbs run by private companies, McMansion subdivisions...
Rep points to you. The whole metro Atlanta mess and ultra-conservative Georgia as a whole is stuck in reverse.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:50 PM

42 posts, read 63,926 times
Boston, ......you talk about some snobby complainers!!! Its also very segragated!!! I sensed a lot of racial tension, I wasnt by anything that was said I could tell by the demeanor of people there. My jobs corporate office is located there and I visited for a 2 weeks for training, even the people I worked with didnt seem to take kindly to me!!! Maybe its the shoulder length dreads hint hint (LOL) I know some Bostonian Is going to read this and rip me a new one (hence its my perception and my view on things)!!!

Old 03-23-2012, 06:05 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think in SF it's mostly the men who have something stuck up their arse (I thought you Americans said 'ass').
I politically incorrectly got a good chuckle out of this.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:06 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
New York

There is no culture. There are StarBucks, Red Lobsters, and cutesy cupcake shops popping up on every corner. Every block is starting to look the same.
What's wrong, don't you want to pay $9 for one cupcake?

Old 03-24-2012, 09:19 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
It's been said on here before bus Los Angeles. Just horrible. I knew before heading out there that it wasn't for me with the car dependence, desert-like climate (I'm odd in that I like humidity), suburb-like living in a city, and the people, but I wasn't prepared for just how much I'd dislike it. Shame, because it could really be somewhere worth living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City