Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,223 times

Advertisements

Hello I am a single black female (no hubby/kids) and I am a hairstylist.

I am interested in moving to one of the cities listed above and needed some advice. I want to move to a place where I can showcase my talent as a hair stylist...so I'm looking for high-end salons...caucasian and ethnic hair.

I was in the USAF so location/moving is not an issue. However it must be:

*fashion forward: loves to shop vintage
*cultural
*lots of entertainment: bars/clubs/comedy shows/concerts
***would also like to meet men and possibly marry one (race doesn't matter) but I would like a professional man that loves life and makes good money as I do***
*great people: I am very friendly person and could talk with anyone about anything.

So basically a BIG city with lots of choices...

I am from Jax, FL and would like to be within driving distance from home. I stayed in Dallas for two years AND I LOVE IT...it's just soooo far from home, being that now I am ready for children (I would love to hop in the car vs flying).

Thanks...B

OAN: Apart of me hates ATL. I'm in Southern GA right now and ATL just doesn't do it for me. I love gays as friends but not when they're hunting my man (sorry), 12 to 1 ratio kills me, and so does the traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 05:10 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Due to their size, Dallas and Atlanta (you also might want to consider Houston) will have the most variety and options. You're more likely to find what you're looking for in those two.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:29 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzBelon View Post

I am interested in moving to one of the cities listed above and needed some advice. I want to move to a place where I can showcase my talent as a hair stylist...so I'm looking for high-end salons...caucasian and ethnic hair.

*cultural
***would also like to meet men and possibly marry one (race doesn't matter) but I would like a professional man that loves life and makes good money as I do***
*great people: I am very friendly person and could talk with anyone about anything.

I am from Jax, FL and would like to be within driving distance from home. I stayed in Dallas for two years AND I LOVE IT...it's just soooo far from home, being that now I am ready for children (I would love to hop in the car vs flying).

Thanks...B

OAN: Apart of me hates ATL. I'm in Southern GA right now and ATL just doesn't do it for me. I love gays as friends but not when they're hunting my man (sorry), 12 to 1 ratio kills me, and so does the traffic.
Sounds like you have already made up your mind up... Move to the Dallas-Fort Worth area....

Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Did the previous two posters read the original post? She says that Dallas is too far from home and that a part of her hates Atlanta for various reasons.

I am curiuos why South Florida isn't on her short list but it isn't. Then again, finding a professional man for potential husband material might be the barrier? Who knows???
I can highly recommend both NC locations and particularly Raleigh since I know it best. While smaller than Dallas and Atlanta, both the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham) and Charlotte are professional, educated and family friendly locations that are rapidly growing with opportunity for hair stylists.
I have a friend from Miami who was having a hard time making it. He moved to Raleigh and went to Aveda's academy in Chapel Hill. He's now doing REALLY well in a high end salon in Raleigh.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:45 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzBelon View Post

*cultural

Thanks...B

Although you hate some of the things about Atlanta, I still believe it is your best bet considering you are a hairstylist. The reasons include, the numerous hairshows held in Atlanta annually (Bronner Bros. International Hair Show - February 2012) (World Natural Hair Show in Atlanta Georgia) just to name a few; The city is diverse, and this area is a great place to get "your business on" (meaning it is great for African-Americans to start their business here and then expand).

No matter where you go, you are going to hate something about it, but you have to look at the future as oppose to present concerns.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Did the previous two posters read the original post? She says that Dallas is too far from home and that a part of her hates Atlanta for various reasons.

I am curiuos why South Florida isn't on her short list but it isn't. Then again, finding a professional man for potential husband material might be the barrier? Who knows???
I can highly recommend both NC locations and particularly Raleigh since I know it best. While smaller than Dallas and Atlanta, both the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham) and Charlotte are professional, educated and family friendly locations that are rapidly growing with opportunity for hair stylists.
I have a friend from Miami who was having a hard time making it. He moved to Raleigh and went to Aveda's academy in Chapel Hill. He's now doing REALLY well in a high end salon in Raleigh.
I did read her post, and she also said that she LOVED Dallas.

I was merely pointing out that the larger cities will generally have more options and variety to offer for the five points she focused on.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:49 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times
Beauty shops in Atlanta are a dime a dozen, so if you don't have a connection there, it might be hard to break into the market. If you already have a part of you that hates ATL, don't go there. Charlotte may fit your needs better. Consider Houston too. If you're from Jacksonville, the weather is similar (hot and humid as hell) and it has the big city amenities you're looking for. Far more diverse and cosmopolitan than Dallas too. It's a 14-hour drive from Jax though

Old 01-19-2012, 01:52 PM

469 posts, read 886,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Consider Houston too. If you're from Jacksonville, the weather is similar (hot and humid as hell) and it has the big city amenities you're looking for. Far more diverse and cosmopolitan than Dallas too.
Do not listen to this. Dallas and Houston are extremely similar. The main difference will be the humidity.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
It's a 14-hour drive from Jax though
Considering the countless times I've driven along the Gulf Coast, it's so easy to forget how far Houston actually is from Florida. It feels so much closer. But even Pensacola is almost 6 hours from Jacksonville. That just goes to show you how huge the South is.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:25 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post

Doing beehives which are still popular in NC........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City