Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,427,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
I don't think there are really any European feeling cities in the U.S. I mean, sure there are some superficial similarities in places like Boston and New Orleans, but scratch the surface, and they seem to have more in common with other American cities. Most of the cities people have named in this thread are very good cities, very urban, very walkable, great places for enthusiastic urbanists. But that doesn't mean they are European, just because European cities happen to meet those same criteria.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 11:05 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
I agree with above posters. No American city is very European.
Does anyone think they would see this in Europe:

Old 01-26-2012, 12:12 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,667 times
So are there any European Cities that are most like cities in the US? Any in the World that are like those the cities in the US?

Old 01-26-2012, 04:20 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
St. Paul, MN is not at all a "European" city. In fact, there are no cities or towns really that fit the description in Minnesota.
New Ulm? New Prague? New......Moscow? JK.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:24 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
for the midwest, st. louis wins in a landslide. cincinnati would be next.
Again with the St. Louis homerism! How can you adopt a place the way you adopted St. Louis (aren't you from Philly or something)? I'm not sure if St. Louis is the most European or not, but it's certainly NOT by "a landslide"!

Old 01-26-2012, 04:50 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Santa Fe, NM: Though aestheticly it looks New Mexican and not anywhere like Europe; with its abundance in artistry, narrow streets, and cohesive downtown core surrounding the plaza, and a beautiful cathedral it's as close as it gets to a European model for a city in the Rocky Mountain West.
I don't think there really is a city or town in the Mountain region that comes across as very European; however, if strictly looking at design, I might say the town is Bisbee in AZ:

http://www.whataboutclients.com/arch...zonaStreet.jpg

http://www.desmosouthwest.com/blog/w...bisbee_500.jpg

http://hubertdesigns.com/wordpress/w.../bisbee_lg.jpg

Old 01-26-2012, 06:54 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Again with the St. Louis homerism! How can you adopt a place the way you adopted St. Louis (aren't you from Philly or something)? I'm not sure if St. Louis is the most European or not, but it's certainly NOT by "a landslide"!
st. louis is older than the united states, and was a french colony before becoming a spanish colony before then joining the usa. yeah, it's got a more european atmosphere than other cities in the midwest:

Old 01-26-2012, 07:06 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,180,851 times
I think Over The Rhine in Cincinnati is the most European in the Midwest. Followed by Soulard and Lafayette Square in St. Louis.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:56 AM

192 posts, read 450,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
St. Paul, MN is not at all a "European" city. In fact, there are no cities or towns really that fit the description in Minnesota.
I have traveled extensively throughout Europe and the USA and lived in San Francisco, Seattle, Portland and Minneapolis/Saint Paul and I just couldn't disagree with you more. Saint Paul is by far and away the most truly like European cities. The Neo Classical architecture everywhere, the Cathedral of Saint Paul, The Landmark Centre, the drunken maze of roads circling out from Rice Park which is the circular heart of the city just like European cities. Outside of Boston and some other east coast cities and towns it is by far and away the most European.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
I disagree. Maybe it has a large Hmong population, but the homes and architecture are very old and classical. Summit Avenue and Cathedral Hill are fine examples of what I mean. The capitol and cathedral are beautiful, and European! Granted most capitols are European. But the homes in St. Paul remind me of European, Victorian homes. I think St. Paul has some of the best neighborhoods, because of the architecture, in the midwest.
St. Paul does have quality architecture, but not the narrow streets nor closely-spaced buildings of Europe. Just because it's not strip malls (though there are plenty along University Ave), highways, and big-box buildings does not mean it is European. Parts of St. Paul are better described as "traditional American".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City