Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Buffalo vs Milwaukee
Buffalo 12 36.36%
Milwaukee 21 63.64%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:58 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,185 times

Advertisements

Criteria:
- Weather
- Sports (professional)
- Food
- Downtown
- Architecture
- Scenery
- Parks
- Shopping
- Nightlife

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 05:56 AM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Haven't been to either, but if I had a choice between the two, I'd go with Milwaukee. It has bit more notoriety and that landmark art museum looks awesome, close to Chicago, and from what I've heard seems to have a bit more renaissance rustbelt revival than Buffalo. Buffalo has its advantages being near Niagara Falls and Toronto and some good architecture I would imagine, but somehow I would think Milwaukee would be a bit more compelling of a city.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:48 PM

258 posts, read 1,034,635 times
Buffalo is geologically blessed... and has 2 professional sports franchises - Bills and Sabres. Not to mention 4am closing times, Canada 15 mins. away, and they also have the Bandits and the Bisons...

Old 08-15-2011, 01:50 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StampedeCity View Post
Buffalo is geologically blessed... and has 2 professional sports franchises - Bills and Sabres. Not to mention 4am closing times, Canada 15 mins. away, and they also have the Bandits and the Bisons...

Canada's 15 minutes away if your going to Niagara falls. But you can just cross at the peace bridge to save time. Whatever time it takes to cross a brige..

But to the OP's question. It would be a tough one for me, because as many days and nights as I've spent in Chicago, I've never gone to Milwaukee. With do regret. So since I haven't been there it would be impossible for me to choose.

Very similar cities in downtown architecture and diversity make up. I've always thought these two cities seemed the most similar. From what I've heard and seen regarding Milwaukee.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 PM

213 posts, read 448,965 times
Buffalo x10

Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,379 times
Sorry this is a no doubter----Milwaukee.

Milwaukee is a more vibrant city----great east side for younger people, and interesting developments downtown and in the third ward area.

Great lakefront and beach area in Milwaukee. It is also a city of great people---friendly and giving people.

I choose not to denigrate Buffalo---I just choose to brag on Milwaukee.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:20 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
Milwaukee!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
Both good bowling and drinking towns.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:32 AM

122 posts, read 189,941 times
OK, I'm reviving this thread because I'm interested in knowing more about Milwaukee, and I'm a big fan of the city of Buffalo.

- Weather: Gotta go with Milwaukee. Can it possibly be worse than the blizzards and various snowpocalypses that regularly hit Buffalo???

- Sports (professional): Buffalo here. NHL+NFL>MLB+NBA. Why the heck does Wisconsin's largest city NOT have a pro hockey team??? And no, the distant Green Bay Packers team doesn't count as a local sports franchise.

- Food: OK, both cities have that Great Lakes/rust belt genre of cuisine. Beef-on-weck in Buffalo, and I'm assuming its equivalent in Milwaukee. But Buffalo is known internationally for its amazing chicken wings. I don't think Milwaukee can counter with mediocre beer. Going with Buffalo.

- Downtown: Milwaukee, from everything I've heard, has the momentum here. Buffalo has amazing architecture, but is still a work in progress.

- Architecture: Buffalo punches way above its weight, and has better architecture than cities much larger.
Plus one of Frank Lloyd Wright's best projects (the Darwin Martin House) is here.

- Location: Both cities have enviable settings on the Great Lakes. Buffalo includes Niagara Falls as part of its metro and is close to Toronto (2 hours). Decent skiing is located an hour away. Milwaukee is close to Chicago. Nearby Madison is pleasant.

As for the other criteria -- neighbourhoods, scenery, parks, shopping, nightlife -- I just don't know Milwaukee well enough. Buffalo has good neighbourhoods (and some not-so-nice ones), rather dreary scenery in my opinion, but some surprisingly nice parks.

Anyone else care to weigh in here?

Old 11-21-2015, 05:13 AM

905 posts, read 790,365 times
Milwaukee all the way. Milwaukee does not have the little Detroit vibe going on that Buffalo does, Buffalo is tangibly more "rust belt". Don't get me wrong Milwaukee has plenty of issues and I found Buffalo intriguing including the location, architecture and city layout, if a bit scruffy, but to me this isn't much of a contest.

Also, the Packers played half their games in Milwaukee for decades and many of those who had season tickets retain their rights, Packers easily count for half a franchise or more IMO; I bet Buffalo's MLB and NBA fan loyalty is split among many franchises (to the extent it exists) but there is zero question the vast majority of Milwaukeeans are Hardcore Packer fans if they care about sports at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City