Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 AM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Salt Lake City is a lot more conservative than Dallas.

I dont know where you got the impression otherwise.
Salt Lake City itself is pretty liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 05:10 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,787,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
Yes, although I did'nt list it under SLC- both cities are generally conservative. Although with SLC being the "gayest city" in the states and Dallas being huge- I am sure there are exceptions to the rules as there are everywhere. I guess I should have said I have heard rumors that Dallas is more clickish & it can be hard to fit in- but honestly that may be a factor in both places.

I know I should not listen to generalizations (I should know better) just like all Arkansans are hillbillies & rednecks. Some of the state-maybe so. Other parts- simply does not apply.
The city of Dallas is anything but conservative these days....Dallas has a district dedicated to GLBT community. Even has a Gay Mega Church.....

Old 02-20-2012, 03:05 PM

4 posts, read 7,185 times
people in the SLC are really nice. If u like mountain, it should be a good place to live.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:02 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,080,953 times
Between the 2 I'd go for SLC. It's much prettier, probably has better schools and lower crime, and probably doesn't have the resource problems that Dallas has. The traffic here is horrible and Dallas itself is hideous. If you're outdoorsy at all, go to SLC.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 8,590 times
I must have misread the part about the OP wanting a debate about which area is more gay, conservative or liberal.

Anyways,I moved from Michigan down to Texas where we Initially we moved to Bedford, which is a small city sandwiched between Fort Worth and Dallas.

Following that we moved to the north Dallas area. Dallas was nice but I didn't care for the feel or the people.

We then moved to Fort Worth and continue to live there. The feeling in this area is a bit different than Dallas. We are a middle class family and I didn't find the Dallas area appealing to us.

Traffic-The traffic is horrible in the entire DFW area and isn't helped by the construction that is going on all over the place. The congestion should be a little better once some of the large construction processes are completed. Traffic in Dallas is worse than the rest of DFW. In DFW everything in the area is a walk, bike ride or quick drive in the car away (traffic permitting.)

Weather-The warmth down here isn't that bad. Once you've lived down here a full year you get acclimated. Winters down here are usually in the 50's and sometimes get a day to a week of snowy weather. This year we never had snow stick other than one night, which if you didn't go outside as it came down you never knew it snowed. I love that there isn't any rain in the summer but this has its downfalls too (ie-water restrictions, no break from the heat, dead grass, dust, etc.)

Cost of living-Depending on the area you choose you get a lot of house for the money. Taxes are high here in north Fort Worth but Keller ISD raise the cost. I'm not familiar with Dallas so can't help with that.

Outdoor activities-There are parks all over the place, bike trails, walking trails and other things for families to do. There are some lakes spread out for boating in the summer and quite a few different water parks.

In the end I love Fort Worth and don't plan on moving anywhere else unless it's to find property which I will have to move just outside of Fort Worth.

It is actually ironic I found this thread as my wife's work is now pressuring her to move to Salt Lake City and it is a decision we are going to have to look into. I personally don't want to leave the DFW area for the above reasons, but for the future of our family I am considering it as are you. I've been to SLC for a week and have driven through SLC in my childhood. We liked the SLC area a lot but I don't really want to go back to cold weather. But I like the idea of taking the kids sledding, skiiing and having hot summers. I guess I may have to get used to cold weather again. I'm looking to hear more about SLC.

I didn't separate the pros/cons because I take the good with the bad. Anything is better than living in MI again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City