Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:39 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I was talking about North Carolina compared to Georgia and Pennsylvania compared to Illinois in that regard, not necessarily North Carolina compared to Illinois. With that said, I think you're selling North Carolina short compared to Illinois as well. In terms of national recognition, Illinois has the University of Illinois, Northwestern and DePaul. (Yes, I know about the University of Chicago, but it's still relatively unknown among the top colleges.) As for North Carolina, it has the University of North Carolina, NC State, Duke and Wake Forest.

You notice how so many people complained when the 2010 Census figures were made official? It's because they were expecting the populations of their cities/states to be higher based on the annual U.S. Census estimates in the years prior to 2010. In other words, the U.S. Census overestimated the populations of a great many cities and states. Pennsylvania was not one of them; in fact, Pennsylvania was grossly underestimated. According to the annual estimates, Illinois was pulling away from Pennsylvania until the official numbers came out and showed that Illinois grew slower than estimated and Pennsylvania grew faster than estimated.

Furthermore, Pennsylvania kept pace with Illinois in spite of a huge demographic ball and chain around its ankle. The natural increase (births minus deaths) in Pennsylvania was very small last decade, while it was robust in Illinois. During this decade, the birth rate will increase, and the death rate will decrease. This should help Pennsylvania's population growth accelerate even more as the decade progresses. The state added 399,411 people during the 1990's, and 421,325 people during the 2000's. Don't be surprised if Pennsylvania's increase approaches 500,000 during this decade as its demographics normalize.

Three other advantages that Pennsylvania has: 1) its net domestic migration has been close to zero in the last several years while it's still strongly negative in Illinois. 2) Philadelphia is reemerging as an immigrant gateway while Chicago is saturated in that regard. 3) The economy in Pennsylvania has been more fundamentally sound than the economy in Illinois for the better part of a decade now. All in all, I wouldn't be surprised if Pennsylvania's population growth accelerates even more this decade.
I think you don't know what you're talking about with the U of Chicago. It's ranked in the top 10 nationally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 07:59 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Quote:
False.. Obviously another person who's never been to the mutiple other cities in Georgia outside of Atlanta.. The Business Journals estimates Augusta's MSA to be 570k by itself.. The Triad creates a CSA of around 1.2 million, and it can't be a valid comparison unless you're using the CSA's in Georiga..

I doubt any metro outside of Charlotte or Raleigh grows faster than Augusta or Savannah this decade.. I think Savannah and Augusta can both grow faster than Wilmington, Asheville, or Durham..
I was correct as already pointed out, but also your complaint about NC having CSAs falls flat. Some metros that are CSAs are true overlapping metros. NC has 2 decent sizes metros that fall into this category, the Triangle and Triad areas.

It's not logical to separate them.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:43 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I was correct as already pointed out, but also your complaint about NC having CSAs falls flat. Some metros that are CSAs are true overlapping metros. NC has 2 decent sizes metros that fall into this category, the Triangle and Triad areas.

It's not logical to separate them.
Nope you're still wrong, and nobody pointed out anything except for the Traid being 1.6 million instead of 1.2 million...

The population of metro Augusta, Savannah, Columbus, Macon, and Athens equals more than 1.6 million... Those aren't the only metros in Georgia outside of Atlanta(Gainesville, Albany, Dalton, Warner Robins, Brunswick, etc)..

It doesn't really matter if NC has CSA's that are true overlapping metros.. The same can be said for certain one's in Georgia too..

Old 02-03-2012, 11:57 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Nope you're still wrong, and nobody pointed out anything except for the Traid being 1.6 million instead of 1.2 million...

The population of metro Augusta, Savannah, Columbus, Macon, and Athens equals more than 1.6 million... Those aren't the only metros in Georgia outside of Atlanta(Gainesville, Albany, Dalton, Warner Robins, Brunswick, etc)..

It doesn't really matter if NC has CSA's that are true overlapping metros.. The same can be said for certain one's in Georgia too..
Nobody pointed out anything except that the Triad being 1.6 million???? Are you not reading replies?

Where in fact do these GA metros physically overlap? There's nothing in GA that's like the Triangle or the Triad. The reality is that NC is growing more rapidly than Georgia now and will eventually pass it in population.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:58 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Nobody pointed out anything except that the Triad being 1.6 million???? Are you not reading replies?

Where in fact do these GA metros physically overlap? There's nothing in GA that's like the Triangle or the Triad. The reality is that NC is growing more rapidly than Georgia now and will eventually pass it in population.
Did you read his initial comment? Nobody pointed out anything backing up the claim the Triad is more populated than all of GA's smaller metro's combined..

Macon and Warner Robins used to be form one MSA similar to the Triad...

Old 02-04-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Did you read his initial comment? Nobody pointed out anything backing up the claim the Triad is more populated than all of GA's smaller metro's combined..

Macon and Warner Robins used to be form one MSA similar to the Triad...
You need to take that up with JoeP. He only speaks for himself.

Thanks for the info. on Macon/Warner Robins. It's technically similar regarding the Census' action, but not in the same league as the Triad.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 AM

47 posts, read 49,379 times
philadelphia reversed its population decline so recently, it's hard to see what kind of growth is really occurring. in reality, philadelphia is likely growing faster than los angeles at this time. practically every single remaining vacant lot is now being developed. even those small open air parking lots downtown are slated 4 development. philadelphia it has recently gotten automated garages, a clear sign that development and density are of the highest priority and a recognition that accommodating cars (coming in from the suburbs) remains an important aspect of maintaining that urban density, but that storing those cars should be done in as little space and as efficiently as possible.
what I really see in this list is that nothing can stop the east coast megalopolis.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:17 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Quote:

Really? That's all that was said?

Quote:
The population of metro Augusta, Savannah, Columbus, Macon, and Athens equals more than 1.6 million...
Perhaps, maybe they do, and if so great for my state of GA, but let's be real here, GA's cities that are not Atlanta are not big. And that's fine, except that let's not compare our non-Atlanta's that might, perhaps collectively be the same as Greensboro-WS metro.

Quote:
Those aren't the only metros in Georgia outside of Atlanta(Gainesville, Albany, Dalton, Warner Robins, Brunswick, etc)..
Well of course there are others, but these are tiny places so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.

Quote:
like where? The only place where that might true is Atlanta and what is considered Atlanta CSA is really just one metro anyway. Sandy Springs is not a city (let's skip the Sandy Springs became a city stuff, it's a burb that technically became a city, but in this context, it's just another burb like Dunwoody, Smyrna etc)

Old 02-04-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
like where? The only place where that might true is Atlanta and what is considered Atlanta CSA is really just one metro anyway. Sandy Springs is not a city (let's skip the Sandy Springs became a city stuff, it's a burb that technically became a city, but in this context, it's just another burb like Dunwoody, Smyrna etc)
He cited Macon/Warner Robins CSA. Frankly, I have never even heard of Warner Robins.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:52 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
I can't wait to see what will happen in 2013 with the MSA and CSA. Gainesville GA "Hall County" is part of CSA but MSA changes. Even though the atlanta regional commission often consider it as Atlanta. Which is strange because the ARC is stricter when consider counties.

Also if you look on a map at Athens and Rome MSA they border Atlanta MSA. I won't be surprise if they join Atlanta CSA some day. Atlanta CSA abuts Columbus and Macon but I hope they never join because they are too far out. For what ever the reason a commuter rail may built from Atlanta to Macon.

GA has alot border MSA's and CSA. Chattanooga suburbs goes into GA, and Chattanooga and Dalton are closer to each than Dallas and FT Worth are but they aren't even one CSA. The same with Savannah and Hilton head when they share the Savannah Hilton head international airport. And Central Georgia Macon and Warner Robins were already brought up.

If they join up they want make Georgia grow faster just GA metros will be a little larger, Both GA and NC are fast growing states and know no one the future, earlier last GA was growing faster, what if 2022 role round and were like NC was growing faster earlier last decade. But whatever happen I doubt either would grow much larger than other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City