Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Boston as urban as Chicago
Yes, as urban or more so 65 53.28%
No, not as urban 57 46.72%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Great information, an interesting question would be: How many square miles does it take each of the largest cities to hit 1,000,000 people? I know that is an arbitrary number, but that population point should give an idea of which cities are densest/most urban.

I would wager it looks like this:

NYC - ~13 sq miles
Chicago/LA - ~45 sq miles
San Fran - ~55 sq miles
Philly - ~60 sq miles
Boston - ~70 sq miles
DC - ~100 sq miles
Probably spot on....especially with LA. While marothisu pointed out some people aren't familiar with Chicago, I think even less are familiar with how dense that city is in its inner neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 01:00 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Probably spot on....especially with LA. While marothisu pointed out some people aren't familiar with Chicago, I think even less are familiar with how dense that city is in its inner neighborhoods.
Definitely. I think some of it just goes on people who have actually explored the city versus ones who haven't. Most people who visit the city have never been outside of Near North, The Loop, and maybe Wrigleyville for Cubs games, Near West for Bulls/Blackhawks, and Bridgeport for Sox games (though the United Center and US Cellular Field are in dead areas) so they are shocked about the fact that there are tons of people in dense neighborhoods miles outside of the touristic areas.

Other dense neighborhoods outside of the well known tourist areas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_View,_Chicago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Park,_Chicago (even further north than Edgewater)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uptown,_Chicago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_Square,_Chicago

etc

Same with LA too. While LA is less urban than NYC and Chicago, there are definitely areas, like Koreatown, where it's pretty damn dense for US standards and just as dense, if not more dense, than some areas of Chicago.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:01 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,408 times
Quote:
Couldn't agree more, LA is a Beast.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:30 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
A zip code comparison is useless, though. Zip codes aren't assigned based on population. They're basically random. You could have a city where 90% of people live in dense zip codes with lower density than a city where 90% of people live in sparse zip codes.
I wouldn't say useless, but perhaps a better way to measure it would be census tracts... I guess it really depends on how large the zip codes are and if high-density areas within a zip code are dragged down due to non-residential or very low density areas that are also within that zip code. In that case people that live above a certain density may not be counted towards it because their overall zip code is lower density.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I wouldn't say useless, but perhaps a better way to measure it would be census tracts... I guess it really depends on how large the zip codes are and if high-density areas within a zip code are dragged down due to non-residential or very low density areas that are also within that zip code. In that case people that live above a certain density may not be counted towards it because their overall zip code is lower density.
Is there a way to download all of the census tracts in excel? I think any use of census tracts will need to use Excel functions...otherwise there's just far too much data.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Is there a way to download all of the census tracts in excel? I think any use of census tracts will need to use Excel functions...otherwise there's just far too much data.
I agree, it would be way to time-consuming for anyone on here to wade through that info...

Perhaps the US Census has some sort of function on their site, though I cannot really get a handle on their database system. Seems like a lot of posters on here do though.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
If you want them in text:

2010 Census Gazetteer Files - Geography - U.S. Census Bureau

includes latitude and longitude as well as housing unit amounts. You can get excel to open text. Another method to narrow down tracts to a specific place or county:

1) Go to factfinder2.census.gov
2) Click "advanced search" then the Show All button
3) Type "GCT-PH1" under "topic or table name", don't select any of the choices that may pop up in the drop down menu. Click Go instead
4) Once the results are listed on the screen, click the "geographies" button.
5) Below select a geographic type, choose county (or something else)
6) Choose a state, and place
7) Then click "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- Census Tract"
8) There's an option to Download the data in various formats (including csv and excel) but unlike the first method census tract latitude and longitude not included.
9) You can also create a custom map

via Population density of cities by neighborhood (census tract) - SkyscraperPage Forum

A third, easiest visualize (my preference unless I'm actually interested in doing number crunching) is the census maps from the NYTimes or Washington Post:

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com has density

Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com does not have density but has income, education and housing cost data

and then there's this one:

Interactive map: 30 years of census data - The Washington Post

zoom in and you get data down to the census block level, which is neat for really local info. I've had issue with the site on my computer though.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:48 PM

504 posts, read 616,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Great information, an interesting question would be: How many square miles does it take each of the largest cities to hit 1,000,000 people? I know that is an arbitrary number, but that population point should give an idea of which cities are densest/most urban.

I would wager it looks like this:

NYC - ~13 sq miles
Chicago/LA - ~45 sq miles
San Fran - ~55 sq miles
Philly - ~60 sq miles
Boston - ~70 sq miles
DC - ~100 sq miles
Out of curiosity I did this for Boston and got about 77 square miles to reach about 1.2 million people.

I also did it for San Francisco and used only areas in San Mateo county and it took about 72 square miles to reach about 1.2 million people.

I think looking at this Philly would probably also take about 70 square miles to reach a population of 1 million.

I would think Chicago would be close to 60 and LA would be somewhere between 50 and 70.

I may be way off on Chicago and LA because I don't know those cities very well so if someone wants to crunch the numbers and see I would love to know but I just do not have the time.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
Isn't Boston arguably more urban than Chicago? I mean, couldn't you reverse the question?

Now Chicago, unquestionably, has FAR, FAR more highrises and is much bigger, but Boston has more narrow streets, rowhouses, pedestrian scale, and underground rail, and Chicago has more parking garages, wide streets, freeways, and auto-oriented infrastructure (drive-through banks and fast food right off Michigan Ave., for example). Boston has higher transit share and lower proportion of residents owning cars. It's small but tightly built, and the urbanity doesn't get much better in the U.S. (excepting NYC).

Boston is more European-style urban, and Chicago is more American-style urban. I think an argument can be made for either city regarding relative urbanity.
One could also describe Chicago as being more like an Asian city than a European one. Very few people would question Paris as feeling urban, despite the fact that the entire center of the city is a historic core, undamaged by WWII, with high rises only the periphery. So I'm not sure why a city has to be defined by the skyscrapers in the US.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:02 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Also, Bostons urban sprawl is nearly as extensive as Chicagolands, its just that surrounding Boston, you have suburbs that have way more trees that screen out the urban sprawl. The most woodsy suburbs, such as the north shore, Riverside, Glen Ellyn, Flossmoor and others are typical of areas surrounding Boston. So, it looks more rural.

Thats largely because a lot of the pre-sprawl rural landscape was largely forested, with farm field in the middle of the woods. Outside Chicago, it was small patches of woods in the middle of farm fields. So the urban sprawl is more visible, because the houses, etc. were built around trees, because there were none. It was more prairie and fields.

Plus, a lot of small cities outside Boston are not considered part of the metro area, partially because they are in a different state, partially because they had their own identity.

Bostons urban/suburban sprawl extends to Providence, RI, Worcester, MA, and Portsmouth, NH. You can see this on google maps/earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City