Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Boston as urban as Chicago
Yes, as urban or more so 65 53.28%
No, not as urban 57 46.72%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:44 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times

Advertisements

Does Chicago have better overall PT than Boston?

Boston lacks rail coverage in a few places in the city, namely the eastern part of Roxbury, west part of Dorchester, South Boston, Brighton Center and Lower Allston.

I'm sure Chicago has some gaps in coverage as well, I would be curious to see what they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 04:47 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,165,165 times
Boston is a provincial small town compared to Chicago. No way.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:48 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
I guessed the Boston suburbs or the Philly suburbs would be more urban than the Chicago suburbs because they're older but maybe I'm wrong.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:54 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,021 times
It is and it isn't in a way. Boston has a very dense core, but once you go a few miles, you're in single family home ville. Boston could be a neighborhood in a Chicago. Scale-wise it just isn't as urban, IMO. It's arguable though.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
It is and it isn't in a way. Boston has a very dense core, but once you go a few miles, you're in single family home ville. Boston could be a neighborhood in a Chicago. Scale-wise it just isn't as urban, IMO. It's arguable though.
I think you are selling Boston short and overselling Chicago. As you know, if places like Cambridge or Somerville (seamlessly part of the city really, I know a river splits em) were part of Boston it would be much larger but still retain a high density.

Boston is the 22nd largest city but the 10th largest metro. I still think Chicago is more urban but its not a large canyon.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:02 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I guessed the Boston suburbs or the Philly suburbs would be more urban than the Chicago suburbs because they're older but maybe I'm wrong.
In general the tighter in burbs but Chicago already covers a larger footprint. Extending further Chicgo is more consistent without as many older towns with small pockets of more dense developement overall.

The short answer is they are different enough that it is hard to say definatively

Old 01-23-2012, 05:03 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I think you are selling Boston short and overselling Chicago. As you know, if places like Cambridge or Somerville (seamlessly part of the city really, I know a river splits em) were part of Boston it would be much larger but still retain a high density.

Boston is the 22nd largest city but the 10th largest metro. I still think Chicago is more urban but its not a large canyon.
I think people tend to oversell Boston. Cambridge and Somerville are not technically part of the city, so I'm not including them in my analysis. (I actually like Cambridge much more than I like Boston, in any case.) The density Boston conveys in its core is diluted once you leave a small section of the city.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 01-23-2012 at 05:16 PM..

Old 01-23-2012, 05:12 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
I think people tend to oversell Boston. Cambridge and Somerville are not technically part of the city, so I'm not including them in my analysis. (I actually like Cambridge much more than I like Boston, in any case.) The neighborhoods that actually make up more of Boston city proper tend to be far removed from the core.
Really there are tons of people that never left Dorcester or Eastie there entire lives exept for a few times.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I think people tend to oversell Boston. Cambridge is not part of the city, so I'm not including it in my analysis. (I actually like Cambridge much more than I like Boston, in any case.) City neighborhoods in Boston are a actually a lot less self-sufficient than one might think.
I agree that many aspects of Boston are overrated on this forum.

I just have a hard time separating Somerville and Cambridge because they are so close to the CBD and basically in the middle of the "hub". Same with the most northern parts of Brookline.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:17 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I am really familiar with Boston and only slightly familiar with Philadelphia (and what I know is limited to my one downtown experience and Philly posters here ) but I think they would be very comparable.

Philadelphia (I think) is grittier. It also has more rowhouses, while Boston has more of a mix of rowhouses, stand alone apartment buildings and Victorian style double decker duplexes.

Think overall they are very similar with some differences you noted, and yes grittier, though IMHO a little more lively as well overall.

In terms of footprint maintained with 10K density

Boston and SF at ~140 sq miles
Philly at 200 sq miles
Chicago and LA at about 280 sq miles
NYC at about 650 sq miles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City