Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2013, 10:57 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
As for Philadelphia, I wouldn't put it in the top 10 and the same goes for Minneapolis and San Diego.
Anyone who puts Philly below Top 5 or so has never been to Philly.

The only city that destroys Philly is NYC. Chicago, SF, Boston, DC are in the same general range as Philly. Every other U.S. city definitely has a smaller and less important downtown.

Minneapolis probably isn't Top 10. San Diego almost certainly isn't Top 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 01:12 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
I wonder where's San Jose on the lists? Is it the worst downtown in America? Is that why it's not on the lists? As for Philadelphia, I wouldn't put it in the top 10 and the same goes for Minneapolis and San Diego.
We're talking top ten, SJ isn't close, although its clean and nice.

As far as Philly it's top 5-6 for sure. I think SF, Chi, and NY are tops. Then Philly, Bos, and DC

Old 11-23-2013, 01:33 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michivegas View Post
anyone who puts philly below top 5 or so has never been to philly.

the only city that destroys philly is nyc. Chicago, sf, boston, dc are in the same general range as philly. Every other u.s. City definitely has a smaller and less important downtown.

minneapolis probably isn't top 10. San diego almost certainly isn't top 10.
+1

Old 11-23-2013, 06:47 PM

165 posts, read 276,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Anyone who puts Philly below Top 5 or so has never been to Philly.

The only city that destroys Philly is NYC. Chicago, SF, Boston, DC are in the same general range as Philly. Every other U.S. city definitely has a smaller and less important downtown.

Minneapolis probably isn't Top 10. San Diego almost certainly isn't Top 10.
Wrong! I have been to Philadelphia just this past Summer. I scoured everywhere in this city's downtown. As much I was impressed with this downtown, it pales in comparison to many others in America like SF, New Orleans, Boston, NY, Austin, Chicago, Portland, Washington, Charleston and even Nashville, especially when it comes to nightly vibrancy. I'm not talking about sizes here. Just maybe I'd put Downtown Philadelphia in the top 15 ok. I may be guilty of not venturing out to its possible wonderful neighborhoods. I've only seen downtown, which is interesting, relatively clean, ok safety, vibrant relatively during the day, historical and somewhat fun. I do like eating at Reading Terminal market and do some sightseeing at Chinatown, Ben Franklin/Constitution Center park and etc. It even has some upscale and lower end shopping downtown but slightly limited. I like this town, but it's not the top 10 in terms of downtown. Maybe the whole city is, but I can't vouch for that since I unfortunately didn't get to do that.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:30 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Erecting a bunch of glass boxes doesn't create urban vibrancy and a lively street scene. Downtown Miami/Brickell doesn't have a lot of street level retail, dining, or anything very eclectic. It all seems to mostly be happening in Miami Beach. There's very a palpable difference between the two.
Yes! I am sure there is no "Urbanity" here at all in Miami! Just glass boxes!

^ Atlanta, Houston or Dallas would cream in their pants to look like the way Miami does now with with tens of thousands of residents living in downtown/ Brickell.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:34 PM

281 posts, read 472,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Dude did you look at that pic before posting it? The base of that buildong is the reason why Miami gets no love for its downtown on CD.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:42 PM

669 posts, read 915,469 times
Quote:
Wrong! I have been to Philadelphia just this past Summer. I scoured everywhere in this city's downtown. As much I was impressed with this downtown, it pales in comparison to many others in America like SF, New Orleans, Boston, NY, Austin, Chicago, Portland, Washington, Charleston and even Nashville, especially when it comes to nightly vibrancy. I'm not talking about sizes here. Just maybe I'd put Downtown Philadelphia in the top 15 ok. I may be guilty of not venturing out to its possible wonderful neighborhoods. I've only seen downtown, which is interesting, relatively clean, ok safety, vibrant relatively during the day, historical and somewhat fun. I do like eating at Reading Terminal market and do some sightseeing at Chinatown, Ben Franklin/Constitution Center park and etc. It even has some upscale and lower end shopping downtown but slightly limited. I like this town, but it's not the top 10 in terms of downtown. Maybe the whole city is, but I can't vouch for that since I unfortunately didn't get to do that.
Lol.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:42 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:

^ Atlanta, Houston or Dallas would cream in their pants to look like the way Miami does now with with tens of thousands of residents living in downtown/ Brickell.
The fact that even Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta have more pedestrians walking around is enough to not care about the amount of residential buildings honestly. It's shocking to me how so many people could live in Downtown Miami, yet there's so little activity.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:46 PM

165 posts, read 276,939 times
Quote:

It looks like a residential sterile wasteland with no substance.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:51 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
thing is Miami has well over 30,000 residents downtown and what does ATL have? besides bums, Houston is a cemetery after 5 PM and Dallas at least has some options as "witnessed" by Lamar Odom! in his "reality show"!

Sterile "wasteland" would describe ATL, Houston and Dallas after 5 PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City