Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: KC vs Sac
Kansas City 78 50.65%
Sacramento 76 49.35%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:45 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times

Advertisements

Violent crime per 100,000. (2016)

Kansas City: 1,650

Sacramento: 770

KC has more than DOUBLE the Violent Crime of Sac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 09:27 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Violent crime per 100,000. (2016)

Kansas City: 1,650

Sacramento: 770

KC has more than DOUBLE the Violent Crime of Sac.
And you cannot travel 90 miles and be in San Francisco from Kansas City MO either....

Old 04-23-2018, 10:44 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Yeah, but you can not travel 60 miles and be in Topeka from Sacramento either.

LOL. KCMO is a pretty cool town, but its location does leave a lot to be desired.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yeah, but you can not travel 60 miles and be in Topeka from Sacramento either.

LOL. KCMO is a pretty cool town, but its location does leave a lot to be desired.
Rep you one , and I agree....LOL... originally from Tulsa Oklahoma and have been to Kansas City Missouri and Wichita Kansas , not sure about Topeka Kansas however they all are very Fine Cities...

Old 04-24-2018, 06:36 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You've convinced yourself that you're smarter on Sacramento than you actually are, because anybody who thinks Sacramento struggles to "maintain an identity" immediately exposes themselves as unfamiliar with the city...

Sacramento has an undersized perception to the larger greater US because it lies within the most populous state in the Union in which it's only the 5th largest. In any other state Sacramento would be no less than #3, besides Texas. It has a perception problem, which is very different from an identity issue...

Greater Sacramento is a 2.4 million person metropolis. It has a very different identity than Bakersfield or Fresno. Locally, it's a former cowtown, sure, but it's also the capital, with a more robust creative scene and more identifiable dining culture than any other Valley city. It's a cheap alternative to The Bay...as Kansas City is also a cheap alternative to Chicago, no? The difference is KC is in a seperate state, hundreds of miles away. The advent of supercommuters has allowed for Greater Sac and The Bay to grow into one another, but Sac could never be an exurb of The Bay simply because it has its own core and sphere of influence. Exurbs are influenced by the central core(s) of a region and depend upon that core, logistically, politically, and otherwise. This doesn't describe Sacramento...

KC has a wider sphere of influence because let's be honest, if KC wasn't there, it would just be an extension of Flyover Country, nothing there to see or do. KC's character may be more agreeable to you. Personally, I don't get the hype about KC at all--its in a horrible location, it's character is decidedly suburban compared to here, and it's really kind of boring. The architecture and neighborhoods in general are nothing to write home about. Sacramento is a much more developed city with a character that oozes inclusiveness, diversity, recreation, and the artistic passions to a greater degree than KC, save maybe KC's storied music legend...

Overall, they are two cities that occupy the same tier, and most people would agree, hence the poll votes, and rightly so. This thing that KC deserves some higher order of appreciation is mythical and you really should get out of your own head...
First of all, KC absolutely has more of a distinct identity. You may call it a national “perception” but we are really just talking semantics. When I think of KC a number of things come to mind. When I think of Sacramento I think of state capitol... and then the crickets chirp.

Yeah yeah, it’s “an artists colony”. Dime a dozen. KC has the Crossroads Arts District as well. You know, as I know, that the truly top tier creative class of SF did not go to Sacramento. They went to LA and NY.

Why in the world are you comparing Sac/SF to KC/Chicago? Kansas City is over 8 hours from Chicago. Sacramento is 1.5 from SF.

I will agree Sacramento has a better location, but it’s a double edged sword. KC is the destination in that area because there is nothing else to see/do. Sacramento is way overshadowed due to its location. There are so many other/better things to see and do in Northern California than Sacramento.

I was unimpressed with the food scene in Sacramento as well.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:05 PM

I casted my vote for Sacramento California simply because it's in the state of California. Sacramento is overshadowed simply because it's surrounded by some pretty heady world-class stuff , and at the end of the day all the cities and towns and rural area are woven into the great state of California .... You would have to pay me three times what I am making hypothetically playing devil advocate living in Sacramento CA to move out to KCMO . I would also be taking a lot of vacations to California and Europe Asia and Africa.... to keep me satisfied and happy living in Kansas City Missouri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City