Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:41 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Although Pittsburgh is quaint, there really is no comparison - especially for a young person.
I suppose I'm atypical since I'm a young professional who has thrived in Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 03:50 PM

364 posts, read 715,442 times
If I had the choice, I would choose Atlanta. Pittsburgh is more aesthetically pleasing, but as a black person I would choose Atlanta. I'm not a race baiter by any means, but I feel like I would be able to progress my career further and achieve more general life satisfaction in Atlanta than in Pittsburgh. If I'm not mistaken, Pgh is one of the "whitest" major metropolitan area in the U.S, and I've heard from other minorities who have resided there that it is not really a good place for minorities (especially blacks). With that being said, if I were white, I would probably choose Pittsburgh.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:56 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,096,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Pittsburgh, by a mile (and this from someone who hates, despises and outright loathes the Steelers).

Two miles, actually.

Atlanta is the very definition of generic plastic. If you love 16-lane interstates, Atlanta is for you.
True just like you can name intown Atlanta neighborhoods ) for this to be taken seriously.

Allegheny County has only a page more of national register historic places than Fulton. Allegheny County is also a larger county by population and area. So there pretty equal in national land marks.

Allegheny County PA 745 sq mi
National Register of Historical Places - PENNSYLVANIA (PA), Allegheny County

Fulton County GA 534.61 sq mi
National Register of Historical Places - GEORGIA (GA), Fulton County

Dekalb County GA 270.91 sq mi
National Register of Historical Places - GEORGIA (GA), De Kalb County

Old 02-05-2012, 12:22 AM

364 posts, read 715,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Pittsburgh is the very definition of a once great place stuck in a time warp. If you love provincial, close-minded Yinzers Pittsburgh is for you.
Yeah, I get a weird vibe from Pittsburgh. I can't quite place what it is, but that place always feel weird to me. I don't know if it stems from the city being nestled in the rugged Appalachian landscape or what, but it feels very foreign to me.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:31 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,354,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
Yeah, I get a weird vibe from Pittsburgh. I can't quite place what it is, but that place always feel weird to me. I don't know if it stems from the city being nestled in the rugged Appalachian landscape or what, but it feels very foreign to me.
I didn't mean to be as harsh as I was with Pittsburgh.

That being said, Pittsburgh is similar in ways to how you describe Cincy. Not much domestic migration really makes the place feel insular to me. They also tend to not be interested in "new people" there, as most seem to be from the area and have their established circle of friends and relations. I do think it is a much, much more provincial place than Atlanta by a long shot.

It's also one of the most beautiful and dramatic urban settings we have in the U.S.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-05-2012 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 02-05-2012, 03:47 AM

2,858 posts, read 4,612,891 times
Atlanta all day!

Old 02-05-2012, 01:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
As a notorious critic on these boards of Atlanta... I'd actually pick Atlanta on this, it largely overshadows Pittsburgh on just about all metrics, and while Pittsburgh might have a distinct "scene". Atlanta has just about all the scenes you could look for in a city of it's size. I would be a transplant to either place, and would feel much more comfortable as a transplant to Atlanta. Pittsburgh from my analysis, seems kind of provincial and closed off.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times
Warning Warning Warning Warning Warning Warning Warning Warning Warning Warning Warning Warning

A handful of users, as per the norm in this room, are turning this thread into a Kinder-Care playground of potshots and insults. There will be no further warnings. The next round will earn you a LONG vacation from being able to post.... any of you who participate in it. COOL IT.

Read the FIRST post for the topic, since you've forgotten what it is. Answer the OP's question, or don't.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Pgh is one of the "whitest" major metropolitan area in the U.S, and I've heard from other minorities who have resided there that it is not really a good place for minorities (especially blacks). With that being said, if I were white, I would probably choose Pittsburgh.
When I lived in Charlotte, I worked with a Black guy who was a native of Pittsburgh and he mentioned moving back there at one point and never said anything about it being bad for Blacks. I also had a cousin (Black) who was a native Southerner who had lived in Pittsburgh for several years.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:25 PM

322 posts, read 614,269 times
Atlanta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City