Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best U.S city to live:
Plano,TX 22 11.76%
Richardson,TX 8 4.28%
Lincoln,NE 10 5.35%
Denver,CO 65 34.76%
Scottsdale,AZ 26 13.90%
Others (Please specify within your comment) 56 29.95%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 05:46 PM

57 posts, read 123,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Plano is the best choice and Detroit being mueslim capital is ludacris,Houston is growing by the thousands every year and the mueslim pop has been steady growing in Houston.
Thank you ..but what do u mean with " ludacris"??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 07:03 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrawi View Post
Thank you ..but what do u mean with " ludacris"??
lol what I meant was Detroit isn't the capital of mueslim when Houston has a large mueslim pop too.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:32 AM

57 posts, read 123,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
lol what I meant was Detroit isn't the capital of mueslim when Houston has a large mueslim pop too.
Ok ! I think most of u didn't understand me well !! everybody think about large community of Muslims when picking a city !!

I'm not that bias to my people ,,yes I like to live near to muslims and arabs and mostly prefer Iraqis as being Iraqi,,but I chose USA cause I believe people there are open minded,,there is racism,I know but not everywhere..

1- I like city with people who are good,,,have good morals,,open minded,,peaceful and educated...(if there is arab and muslims that would be better but not my first consideration!)

2- I like city which has good four-seasons (not too cold ..... low humidity is preferable )

3- I like city with much outdoors (Gardens,Parks)

4- I like city which is Urban and quit (low noise please!)

5- I like city with much job opportunities especially for architects (Architectural drafter)

6- I like city which has good universities and colleges (for B. Arch and M. Arch )

7- I like city which is very safe ( has very low rate of crime,has low rate of natural disasters )

8- I like city which is clean ! ( pure water,pure air,city is clean overall )

that's main factors who still does not understand my real criteria !

Old 08-06-2012, 03:27 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrawi View Post
It's known to everyone that Indianapolis has one of the worst winter season in the US, so no matter how Forbes reliable or not..I know that government sources are much reliable than any others but that's not mean Forbes is not reliable !

Look, if I have a chance to visit Indiana or any other states then then to change if I didn't like it,I would made a post here and ask about these cities,,I said it before,I am a refugee,not real refugee but registered as refugee at UNHCR organization and by this registration I have a chance to live in USA..

about dismissing Indiana,,why I'm dismissing Seattle,WA,,,New York,NY,,,Irvine,CA and maybe Washington,DC ?!! all those are much better Indianapolis or even better most of my list ! It's not dismissing as much as its to choose the best city due to my criteria...I see u look biased much to Indiana..but everyone has his criteria ..btw,I don't like to live in city which has very low temperature in winter

Thanks for ur help,have a nice day..

Being rude about it isnt going to help you.
Obiviously you havent been to Indiana so your on your own.

Last edited by Broadrippleguy; 08-06-2012 at 03:46 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 11:01 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Being rude about it isnt going to help you.
Obiviously you havent been to Indiana so your on your own.
Calm down. Nobody is being rude to you. This poster is looking for *relocation* advice. They have a list of cities to pick from. Indy is not on that list. Get over it. Not everybody is as obsessive about the greatness of Indy as you, broadripple

Old 08-09-2012, 02:15 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Calm down. Nobody is being rude to you. This poster is looking for *relocation* advice. They have a list of cities to pick from. Indy is not on that list. Get over it. Not everybody is as obsessive about the greatness of Indy as you, broadripple

they didnt give their short list of cities.
Plus they said others and open to ideas.........
should maybe read the thread before going after me srsmn.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
they didnt give their short list of cities.
Plus they said others and open to ideas.........
should maybe read the thread before going after me srsmn.

Quote:
I am an Iraqi refugee registered at UNHCR organization and I plan to live in America in the near future,,so I would like to ask about the best U.S city to live depending on my criteria..I did a lot of research on the net about this issue,I found the most appropriate cities for me are :

- Plano,TX
- Richardson,TX
- Lincoln,NE
- Denver,CO
- Scottsdale,AZ

My criteria of selection were:

- Cost of living (Housing,Utilities,transportation)
- Economy (Job growth,Job outlook,unemployment rate) (Consider my main job is Architectural drafter)
- Weather (Temperatures,Humidity rate)
- Crime rate (Violent crimes,Property crimes,Hate crimes)
- Friendliness (with Arab and Muslims)
- Health (Air quality,Water quality)
- Education (near to good high schools,colleges and/or universities)
Plus, they added a poll with those cities, as well. Not sure how much more "short-list" you can get than that.

Sorry, but I think that it is more confusing to the OP to be adding cities at this point, unless they really embody his/her list. This thread really isn't a suitable venue for you to play Indy cheerleader, unfortunately.

And more to the point, nobody is being rude to you. Or coming after you.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:31 AM

To the OP, Denver is certainly the largest of your listed cities. Of the rest, I only really have firsthand experience with Lincoln. I think Lincoln good be a really, really good fit for you, for a couple of reasons:

Friendliness: Lincoln is a "resettlement community," which basically means that the US Government has been placing immigrants and refugees there for a long, long time. The large immigrant communities in Lincoln are not Iraqi, but rather Sudanese and from the Balkans. However, I many are probably Muslim, and many are not. I think that the fact that people in Lincoln are more or less used to seeing people that look very different, speak different languages, etc., can help you, even if there is not necessarily a high concentration of Iraqis.

Plus, Lincoln is pretty famous for its Midwestern niceness/politeness.

Cost of Living: Lincoln-- and all of Nebraska-- is pretty cheap.

Education: Lincoln is home to the University of Nebraska, and anytime you have a research institution of that scale in a community, there is a trickle down effect of educational amenities. I am not sure what it's like in your country, but in the US, large universities bring with them art galleries, writers' workshops, art fairs, orchestras, operas, choirs, theater, and venues for visiting artists, as well. Plus, the public schools in Nebraska are very good, too.

Crime: Not something that would even be on my radar in Lincoln. There might be an isolated incident or two in your neighborhood every once in a while. Maybe. It just seems to be very, very low crime.

Health: Air quality and water quality probably rank very high there. I do know that Lincoln is very close to some rural areas, drivable to some state parks and camping opportunities, etc. My impression is that people in Lincoln do a really good job of utilizing their parks, getting out and staying active.

Plus, I assume University of Nebraska has a medical system. I am not sure how it ranks, but medical schools and hospitals attached to Big Ten universities tend to do very well.

I can not comment on the economy or job outlook there, particularly for your field. Universities also tend to constantly be building new stuff on campus, however. They are one of the few clients for developers, architects, and construction companies that have proven to be "recession proof." So maybe there is an opportunity there if your firm works closely with the university, but I can only speculate....

The weather I am thinking might not be ideal for you. It will get considerable colder than your other choices (except maybe Denver?) during the winter, and it gets pretty humid in the summer. I imagine you would get used to both; it snows relatively little in Lincoln than it does in a lot of cities in the US-- more of an annoyance than a way of life, like it would be in, say, Detroit, Minneapolis or Chicago. And, I think you might find that the humidity in Lincoln's summers is more tolerable than the hotter dry heat in places like Scottsdale. I don't have much firsthand experience with the Southwest, but I have a friend in Phoenix who says the dry heat is unbearable, but we're both from the Upper Midwest and used to humidity. Maybe coming from Iraq your perspective would be different....?

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:38 PM

5 posts, read 15,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
WHAT ABOUT THESE CRITERIA? We know what they represent, but what do you PREFER? Like for weather, do you like warm/cold temps? Do you like low/high humidity? Etc.

My criteria of selection were:

- Cost of living (Housing,Utilities,transportation)
- Economy (Job growth,Job outlook,unemployment rate) (Consider my main job is Architectural drafter)
- Weather (Temperatures,Humidity rate)
- Crime rate (Violent crimes,Property crimes,Hate crimes)
- Friendliness (with Arab and Muslims)
- Health (Air quality,Water quality)
- Education (near to good high schools,colleges and/or universities)

I'll take a stab at it anyways, assuming what you meant: DENVER

I don't mean to suggest where you should live, but maybe consider Detroit if you want to be near larger Arab populations. Detroit has the largest in the country (I believe). If you are highly educated and are an enginieer, especially, Detroit has tons of engineering jobs available and need smart people working there. It's NOT the most lovable city in the U.S. though, but it does rank well on much of your criteria (schools, healthcare, etc.). Cleveland, OH also.

I have lived in Oakland County MI my whole life and I would stay away from Detroit. Dearborn however has a very large population of Arab Americans. Dearborn, sterling heights, and troy. These are still relatively large cities and are very safe especially Troy or Sterling Heights. Troy is one of the richest cities in the country.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:05 PM

5 posts, read 18,453 times
Default Washington State/ Spokane

Forbes magazine rated #1 for 2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City