Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 08:50 AM

10 posts, read 16,652 times

Advertisements

I am self-employed and lucky enough to be able to live almost anywhere in the US.

I've lived in DC for about a year now and love it, but I want to explore my options. I am planning to take a few trips this year to get to know some cities which I could see myself living in someday.

Here are the qualities I'm looking for:

-Very bike friendly with good public transit. I don't like driving, but I'm OK with using Zipcar now and then. An established cycling community with a lot of bike lanes and off street bike paths would be ideal.
-Short Winters. I enjoy the seasons, and I don't mind seasonal weather, but I wouldn't want a winter longer than what we have in DC. I grew up in a more Northernly Midwestern city and the three to four week difference between when the trees lose/get their leaves makes a big difference for me.
-Great Natural Surroundings. I love to go hiking and bird watching. DC is more nature-friendly than I expected (Rock Creek Park is great), but I'd also love easy access to some of the really spectacular natural areas in our country out West. Being within driving distance of the ocean would be nice, but it's not a necessity.
-Fairly Liberal/Secular - I realize that's probably not hard to find in most big cities, but I thought I'd mention it.
-High-rise Condos - Someday I'd love a condo in a high-rise with great views. I don't need much space (no more than 1000 sq ft; I'm quite comfortable sharing 500 sq ft with my SO now). I've seen some incredible condos in Seattle with lots of windows and great views of the city/mountains/sound, but I haven't come across anything comparable in other cities yet.
-General Cultural Offerings. A wide selection of restaurants, markets, and museums would be nice.

San Francisco and Seattle intrigue me the most from what I've read on these forums -- and maybe even Honolulu. But please suggest more cities for me to consider! Thanks for the input, and I hope to visit a few of your recommendations this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 09:03 AM

413 posts, read 789,519 times
I'd consider Portland, Oregon as well. It's a lovely city that's super bike friendly, and has very good public transit. Its Achilles heel has been its long-term chronic unemployment and underemployment, but it sounds like that wouldn't matter too much in your case.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:22 AM

10 posts, read 16,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
I'd consider Portland, Oregon as well. It's a lovely city that's super bike friendly, and has very good public transit. Its Achilles heel has been its long-term chronic unemployment and underemployment, but it sounds like that wouldn't matter too much in your case.
Thanks, I will add Portland to my list. As long as I'm near a post office I should be OK, but my SO would need a new job. We wouldn't move unless that was found beforehand though.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:25 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Portland and Seattle have long winters. They aren't cold, but no sunshine and lots of drizzle. A car is recommended in Seattle. San Francisco probably best fits your needs with significantly better winter weather and transit.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:26 PM

45 posts, read 75,266 times
Seattle if you're okay with a midsized city. Otherwise, San Fran.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:51 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Can't go wrong with any of these cities given your criteria, although Seattle will probably offer the most outdoor recreational opportunities of the three. The winter will be wet, but mild compared to winters elsewhere. Seattle will also be the least expensive.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:59 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
If you can live in Honolulu, remember that some folks get "island fever" and at some point realize that they're living on an island in the middle of a big ocean.

Would be awesome in my opinion. Natural wonders galore.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:12 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,891,374 times
Nature-loving urbanite sounds like an oxy-moron.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:57 AM

35 posts, read 68,595 times
Portland, Oregon for sure dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City