Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities has the best beaches?
New York City 17 23.29%
Chicago 32 43.84%
San Francisco 19 26.03%
Boston 5 6.85%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:15 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandperson View Post
i heard that the beaches in chicago are made out of concrete. Is that true or just a rumor?
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 06:35 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8loody View Post
Chicago North ave beach

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

These pictures sort of remind me of Miami except the skyscrapers in Chicago are obviously much larger/taller and the skyline is massive compared to Miami's. Another difference is year round weather but the pictures you posted for Chicago are a major plus in my books.

1. Boston
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. New York

While New York is my favorite city, the beaches in Jersey and Long Island have never impressed me nor given me a feeling that they're special. The beaches and water in Chicago for example look cool with the turquoise glowing water, reminds me of Miami's light blue/sky blue glowing water at the peak of the afternoon IMO. San Francisco obviously has the best scenery but the water is very cold and some of the beaches I have been to in the Bay have sharp rocks sometimes, not all beaches in the Bay but just some I have been to. Boston areas beaches have the best combination of villages/small towns along the coast with satisfying enough scenery plus the water temperature is decent which is why I placed it first in the list. New York's beaches are decent, some are good and some are bad and they certainly have a lot of amenities and activities around but they're just ordinary IMO.

Nothing like the Boston area coastal town's character, or the dramatic scenery and rugged mountains along the coast of the Bay, or the turquoise glowing water/downtown location/few minute walk away from the El like Chicago IMO.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:46 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
If city limits, then Chicago, because of the close proximity and accessibility to greats parts of the city.

I live in NYC, but go to cape every year so that get my vote if its part of Boston Metro. I like the towns, vibe and regional cuisine.
Boston has Beachs in South Boston, and in Revere (end of Blue Line) as well as you can take ferries out to the Boston Harbor Islands.

NYC has Beachs down the Entire south Shore of BK (barrier Islands anyway)

Old 02-03-2012, 08:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Nope. San Francisco has water on west/north & east, thats a fact. The bigger benefit is the sunset, which none of others have. The water just fades to black.
Sunset over water yes. Sunrise over water? Again, the water isn't the horizon looking east, Berkeley and Oakland is. You can see over the bay...

Old 02-03-2012, 11:33 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Sunset over water yes. Sunrise over water? Again, the water isn't the horizon looking east, Berkeley and Oakland is. You can see over the bay...

Correct, but you know what I mean.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,532 times
Chicago all the way. Best summer city period. Second to none, especially NY/NJ. Our lake, I mean inland sea, does compare to your ocean. Get over it. Looks the same to me. But there are some differences. Yes our water temerature can get up to the low 80's in the summer. Does it get that warm in NY/NJ? No salt water either, or getting swept out at sea and not knowing where you may end up. Maybe Africa, maybe Bangladesh. Who knows. What we do know is that Michigan is on the other side of our inland sea. I heard that JAWS was spotted not too far from Brooklyn beach or was it the Bronx beach? Is that true? And who cares about your cheesy boardwalk. We have plenty of 4H County fairs in the summer.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:11 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,159 times
How is San Francisco 2nd to last? California beaches are some of the most scenic in the country.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
For swimming not so much. Bay Area water is just too cold!

Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
For swimming not so much. Bay Area water is just too cold!
And Chicago or NYC water isn't? Right...

Old 02-18-2012, 10:34 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheasternBooster View Post
Have you ever been to San Francisco? The water is too cold and the beaches are dirty. Plus you take account the people, then its clear that SF beaches are no where any tourist should be.
Cold water, yes. Dirty? No, not particularly, as far as urban beaches go. As for the people... I have no idea what you're trying to say there, but it sounds stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City