Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: better city to live?
Cleveland 34 42.50%
New Orleans 46 57.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:05 PM

29 posts, read 56,612 times

Advertisements

It is just a little too easy and simplistic to paint new orleans with the party-town brush and leave it at that. The city is so much deeper and has so much more to offer. There's no getting around the violence issue; but to be so dismissive of an entire city and culture based on stats and Bourbon St, is to really miss the boat here. Having said that, if it has to be expained and defended to someone, they probably won't get it anyway, or appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 02:13 PM

4,536 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
No way is Cleveland like New Orleans or NYC nightlife... not a chance. And all of this in the dead of winter? It pains me to say this, but the quarter is way busier than any nightlife district of Chicago, much less Cleveland.

New Orleans also has more local artists and local art galleries than Cleveland by the way. It's way more of a creative city where things are done, rather than displayed from elsewhere for the general public.

I'm not the biggest fan of New Orleans and wouldn't choose to live in Cleveland either... But New Orleans does have it's merits. It competes with cities MUCH larger than it's size in food/music/culture/nightlife.
With all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about. I was just down in Cleveland's Warehouse District Sat night, even in the cold, it was wall to wall revelers... If you would read my post, I limited this to Friday and Sat nights. Obviously, there are few places that equal Bourbon Street for 24-7 craziness, w/ the exception of Times Sq... Also, obviously, N.O. has a totally unique culture; no one can deny that...

... I'm just saying that, aside from the partying in the Quarter, Cleveland has a much more (diverse & balanced) environment (city and suburbs), than does N.O. by a longshot.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:36 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonneFemme View Post
It is just a little too easy and simplistic to paint new orleans with the party-town brush and leave it at that. The city is so much deeper and has so much more to offer. There's no getting around the violence issue; but to be so dismissive of an entire city and culture based on stats and Bourbon St, is to really miss the boat here. Having said that, if it has to be expained and defended to someone, they probably won't get it anyway, or appreciate it.

I hate to be repetitive here. We all know about the french quarter and what not. What I have asked are what are some other things? When someones never lived somewhere, they really don't know everything about a city. That works both ways..So I asked about more and keep getting blown off. Only annie has adressed my question with a few other areas. You don't have to explain New Orleans appeal. I don't think there are many who would ever argue this. New Orleans is very unigue and that is why it is still reverred. However; New Orleans has lost alot of population loss and has been going downhill for quite some time. You cannot deny that. I was wondering where is this renaissance that some are talking about? Like I said, the core to the heart of NO is awesome. Architecture isn't even to be compared. I like NO a whole lot better than I like CLeveland. I just think that Cleveland has more cultural offerings. Do I like it better as a city? No. I personally like NO better. But looking at where these cities are at today, I would think Cleveland compares better now. Will that be the same in ten years? Only time will tell. What I do know about New Orleans is that outside of the touristy areas, that city is in decay and with an awful lot of crime.

What is the point of living somewhere if you are only comfortable walking around 10 percent of the city? I know, I know, Cleveland isn't exactly Mayberry and the same could be said for many areas of Cleveland as well. That's why taking all that into consideration, New Orleans is still the more attractive city by a long shot, however; Cleveland has centered around improving their downtown/ city as a whole with a multitude of projects. What has New Orleans done recently? I would like to know, because I do lack certain knowledge. How would I know unless I lived there? Since I don't live there I need more information. Perhaps, I am wrong. Perhaps, they are adding much more and a full renaissance is in bloom. Feel free to correct me if you want, but back it up with projects/ facts/ statistics. Don't just say if you need it explained, you would still not get it. I get all that. I don't need the aurora of NO's appeal explained to me, nor do I think many others would..

Old 02-08-2012, 02:40 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I hate to be repetitive here. We all know about the french quarter and what not. What I have asked are what are some other things? When someones never lived somewhere, they really don't know everything about a city. That works both ways..So I asked about more and keep getting blown off. Only annie has adressed my question with a few other areas. You don't have to explain New Orleans appeal. I don't think there are many who would ever argue this. New Orleans is very unigue and that is why it is still reverred. However; New Orleans has lost alot of population loss and has been going downhill for quite some time. You cannot deny that. I was wondering where is this renaissance that some are talking about? Like I said, the core to the heart of NO is awesome. Architecture isn't even to be compared. I like NO a whole lot better than I like CLeveland. I just think that Cleveland has more cultural offerings. Do I like it better as a city? No. I personally like NO better. But looking at where these cities are at today, I would think Cleveland compares better now. Will that be the same in ten years? Only time will tell. What I do know about New Orleans is that outside of the touristy areas, that city is in decay and with an awful lot of crime.

What is the point of living somewhere if you are only comfortable walking around 10 percent of the city? I know, I know, Cleveland isn't exactly Mayberry and the same could be said for many areas of Cleveland as well. That's why taking all that into consideration, New Orleans is still the more attractive city by a long shot, however; Cleveland has centered around improving their downtown/ city as a whole with a multitude of projects. What has New Orleans done recently? I would like to know, because I do lack certain knowledge. How would I know unless I lived there? Since I don't live there I need more information. Perhaps, I am wrong. Perhaps, they are adding much more and a full renaissance is in bloom. Feel free to correct me if you want, but back it up with projects/ facts/ statistics. Don't just say if you need it explained, you would still not get it. I get all that. I don't need the aurora of NO's appeal explained to me, nor do I think many others would..
Cleveland has a few high end cultural offerings (symphony as an example)... but in general, N.O. has way more cultural things and events going on year round to do. There has been a bit of an influx of new folks there post katrina...replacing some of the older bad with lets say, more productive residents. Lots of people from L.A. have moved to N.O. for film and such.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:13 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,679 times
Default My answer...

The French Quarter, New Orleans (http://www.flickr.com/photos/trentm/2307363084/ - broken link) by trent_maynard (http://www.flickr.com/people/trentm/ - broken link), on Flickr

Street Cars, Canal Street, New Orleans (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lafond/5402155638/ - broken link) by blafond (http://www.flickr.com/people/lafond/ - broken link), on Flickr

Canal Street Streetcar (http://www.flickr.com/photos/karbon69/4524734370/ - broken link) by karbon69 (http://www.flickr.com/people/karbon69/ - broken link), on Flickr

Esplanade Avenue, New Orleans (http://www.flickr.com/photos/trentm/2307393592/ - broken link) by trent_maynard (http://www.flickr.com/people/trentm/ - broken link), on Flickr

New Orleans Weekend Trip (http://www.flickr.com/photos/melancon/2711928871/ - broken link) by Adam Melancon (http://www.flickr.com/people/melancon/ - broken link), on Flickr

New Orleans - French Quarter - Bourbon Street at Night (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wallyg/2489489620/ - broken link) by wallyg (http://www.flickr.com/people/wallyg/ - broken link), on Flickr

Bourbon Street, New Orleans (http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardcclark/2441094648/ - broken link) by richardcclark (http://www.flickr.com/people/richardcclark/ - broken link), on Flickr

Old 02-08-2012, 04:31 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people putting down Cleveland (and at least one person who slammed Detroit for some reason) have never been to Cleveland. Not once. It's perfectly fine to like/love New Orleans, and its one of my favorite places to visit. But spouting off complete nonsense regarding Cleveland, its arts scene, its cultural institutions and its neighborhoods without ever having been there is ridiculous.

Frankly, I would take these opinions with a rather large grain of salt.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:51 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people putting down Cleveland (and at least one person who slammed Detroit for some reason) have never been to Cleveland. Not once. It's perfectly fine to like/love New Orleans, and its one of my favorite places to visit. But spouting off complete nonsense regarding Cleveland, its arts scene, its cultural institutions and its neighborhoods without ever having been there is ridiculous.

Frankly, I would take these opinions with a rather large grain of salt.
I dated a girl from Cleveland before, went up there for Christmas and spent 2 weeks, and have been there a few more times after that... Also went to RoR HoF when George Harrison died. It isn't all that...especially when compared to New Orleans. After 4 times there, I'd honestly seen enough. I've been to New Orleans around 10 times, too many to count. My perceptions are of course as a tourist visiting the cities... But, I think they are valid and have no allegiance to either. Take with them what you wish. Cleveland to me is quite vanilla compared to New Orleans. Guess what, not everybody is going to be a fan of your city.

Last edited by grapico; 02-08-2012 at 04:59 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 05:02 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I dated a girl from Cleveland before, went up there for Christmas and spent 2 weeks, and have been there a few more times after that... Also went to RoR HoF when George Harrison died. It isn't all that...especially when compared to New Orleans. After 4 times there, I'd honestly seen enough. I've been to New Orleans around 10 times, too many to count. My perceptions are of course as a tourist visiting the cities... But, I think they are valid and have no allegiance to either. Take with them what you wish. Cleveland to me is quite vanilla compared to New Orleans. Guess what, not everybody is going to be a fan of your city.
I don't, nor have I ever, lived in Cleveland. Nice try though.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post

Was going downhill for quite some time. I will DM you a link to another forum showing how NO is changing.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:17 PM

640 posts, read 1,226,215 times
Some of these posts are downright ridiculous. I don't understand how just because NOLA has a famous entertainment street that we are suddenly a one-horse town. New Orleans has been changing ever since Katrina with a HUGE influx of new residents, young smart and educated. Huge development projects are going on in the city, from creating a better downtown (see downtownnola.com), to building new parks (Re-inventing the Crescent or the Lafitte Greenway Rails to Trails project). The majorit of the public housing in the city has been demolished and rebuilt with beautiful mixed-income housing. The city is undergoing a great influx of entrepreneurs into the city with new technology businesses started all the time or moving here (Gameloft is opening a software development studio here, among many other wins for the city), We are in the process of building a new streetcar line downtown connecting the Amtrak Train Station to the city's transportation city. After that, the city is poised to build a new streetcar to service the downtown neighborhoods (not the CBD rather the downriver "creole" section of the city). Huge swaths of the old urban core (about 20 sq. miles btw with over half the city's population and a density of 8000 ppsqmi) are being revitalized with new retail/restaurant options and gentrifying (see Oak Street, Freret Street, Bywater/Marigny, Mid-City...just about EVERY neighborhood in the old urban core in this city is going under huge transformations with renovations and new businesses opening up ALL THE TIME. We have many museums (most notably the New Orleans Museum of Art, the Ogden Museum of Southern Art, the Contemporary Arts Center, the NATIONAL WWII Museum). NOMA just acquired 100 new GREAT pieces of art from Warhol to Picasso as part of its 100th anniversary. New Orleans just finished hosting its second biennial art exhibition, the biggest contemporary art exhibition in the country. We have Broadway Across America at one of our many theaters (at the Mahalia Jackson Theater now but will soon be moving to the soon to be opened Saenger Theater...many of our theaters are in the process of being renovated or will be eventually). We have an assortment of small theaters producing new, avant garde plays all the time. We have a Saks Fifth Avenue on Canal Street smack dab in the middle of the center of the city (in between the CBD and French Quarter). We have Magazine Street, a 6 mile long shopping street full of boutiques, restaurants, coffeeshops, antique/furniture stores running through the uptown section of the city. We have a symphony, opera and ballet association (we were also the first city in America to have opera). City Park is one of the biggest and most visited urban parks in the country (in Mid-City). We have Tulane University, one of the best schools in the country. We have name recognition around the world as a place of culture and authenticity. We have an amazing cultural/historical heritage diversity not found many places in the world. This list could honestly keep going...and I will if anyone wants me to.

Just because YOU know about the French Quarter and Bourbon Street and that's all doesn't mean that there isn't anything else going on here. Believe it or not, the urban structure of the city does extend far beyond the French Quarter and the Garden District. Believe it or not, hundreds of thousands of people live work and visit here every day and live great, culturally enriched lives. We are WAY more than Mardi Gras and never said we weren't. I hate this typical American attitude that anything that is not white bread/suburban/lame is too different to "actually live there".

To put it plainly, New Orleans is going through a renaissance right now. Home prices in the urban core rise every day. Get here soon before it's too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City