Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:09 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
That's true too. I didn't think of that...however those have around for awhile, right? I think the rise of DC has been more involved with the increasing government role than anything else.
They have been around for awhile, but their global role has become stronger...lending more money to developing countries, yada yada... The same way with the increased gov role nationally/internationally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 06:40 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
The only reason you claim it makes more sense is because it gives you an opportunity to falsely push SF higher.
Im sorry, I didnt realize that you personally authored this ranking so I can understand your defensiveness. My bad.

But while your here, would you please explain to us the reasoning for ranking Montreal above PARIS? Vancouver over Beijing and Lisbon over Madrid?

Old 02-08-2012, 06:42 PM

Oh yeah, and Singapore above Tokyo. What a laugh.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:16 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
BofA is on life support.
While it may be on life support its still here. Even if it collapses Charlotte will still be a huge banking town, we've been doing banking here since pretty much our founding. Some in Charlotte are actually looking forward to BofA collapse. Read some of the Charlotte forums.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Ally Bank (formerly GMAC) is based out of Utah and Ally Financial (holding company) is headquartered in Detroit.

FDIC: Institution Directory - External Confirmation

Bank of America probably won't be around in 5 - 10 years, especially when one considers all the lawsuits against it and the fact that people are calling for it to be broken up.

BTW, the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond has a branch in Charlotte, as well as Baltimore.
Perhaps Ally has a huge operation here, I remember there was some huge hoopla over them coming here. I was aware of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond having a branch in Charlotte but it's only a branch and not the main thing.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im sorry, I didnt realize that you personally authored this ranking so I can understand your defensiveness. My bad.

But while your here, would you please explain to us the reasoning for ranking Montreal above PARIS? Vancouver over Beijing and Lisbon over Madrid?
The person who 'repped' me by telling me that size of economy is not important still didnt answer the damn question, so I'll ask it again.

How the bloody hell does Montreal beat PARIS as a WORLD FINANCIAL CENTER?

Old 02-09-2012, 12:37 AM

While I like the discussion about world financial centers. I would like to see others list of what they think are the top ten financial centers.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:27 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No need for that. You saw the points which are used to rank their strength and chose to ignore it. There's nothing personal about that. This is the relative equivalent of me showing a hypothetical "tech ranking" with the following scores:

SF Bay 99
Boston 78
Seattle 77
New York 76

And saying "well Boston is closer to SF than it is to New York"

Quote:
To be honest, I don't know. I don't know all these things and as with every list there's going to be errors or things that don't make sense to us.

However here's what I've been able to assess after reading through the report:

In regards to Paris' ranking:
- The Eurozone is really taking a beating right now. In the text, they mention all of the Euro-currency cities which are falling like rocks (Madrid down 11 places, Dublin down 10, Milan down 9). In fact the only Eurozone city I can find in the Top 30 which actually rose is Munich, which is located in the healthiest country in the Eurozone. I believe it's possible Paris is simply experiencing some of the negative affects of being located in such a troublesome area. This may also explain the Lisbon over Madrid thing too.

- Despite being such a major city in the world, Paris hasn't ever really been a financial services leader in Continental Europe. Geneva, Frankfurt and Zurich have always been considered stronger financial services centers.

Montreal:
- I have no clue. I can't find anything about Montreal in terms of details.

For Beijing, perhaps it is simply being overshadowed by its neighbors. Even despite Shanghai's favorable ranking, there are many who don't think financial services can be effectively performed on mainland China. I'm really not sure how that plays out because, again, Shanghai is ranked very well, but this could be putting restrictions on Beijing's ability to grow.

Similar to San Francisco in the US, there's really no major financial player in Western Canada. Sometimes cities are able to benefit due to lack of competition. Also, I'm sure due to its massive Chinese population, the business relationship between Vancouver and China is a good one.

For Singapore, it is similar to Hong Kong in the sense that it's a small, independent area in the middle of a massive economic boom, with access to China (and both were Crown Colonies). Though Tokyo is close to China, I'm not sure how great of a business relationship the two have. Japan and China are two countries who have traditionally not got along very well. Two massive advantages for both Singapore and Hong Kong is that their governments have traditionally taken a "hands-off" approach to financial services (which is why you'll see Singapore ranked as the #3 gov & reg city in the ranking). On top of that, you can see all their rankings on pages 26 & 27. From assessments and statistics, they seem to have been able to find reason to rank Singapore ahead of Toyko in every major category.

In addition to these things, Singapore apparently runs a bit of Swiss-East banking system (at least according to its Wiki). Its banking is quite anonymous and it's known as a place where ill-gotten funds can be stored. Unfortunately as the East becomes wealthier, people are going to want to hide their money in order to avoid paying taxes, etc., so Singapore will benefit greatly. However, I don't think this is a major component of Singapore's success.

But as I said before, there's plenty of room for argument. There's no such thing as a perfect list. However just because you don't agree with a couple of the rankings doesn't mean we should call it rubbish. San Francisco is ranked pretty high after all

Last edited by tmac9wr; 02-09-2012 at 07:40 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 10:02 AM

So after doing further reading I have a new list of what I think are the nation's top 10 financial centers :
1. New York City
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago
4. Boston
5. DC
6. Philadelphia
7. Los Angeles
8. Minneapolis
9. Miami
10. Dallas

I will probably change a few things. I looked ay GDP by financial services for some msas, and did you know Charlotte has a higher GDP than Atlanta?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:42 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
So after doing further reading I have a new list of what I think are the nation's top 10 financial centers :
1. New York City
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago
4. Boston
5. DC
6. Philadelphia
7. Los Angeles
8. Minneapolis
9. Miami
10. Dallas

I will probably change a few things. I looked ay GDP by financial services for some msas, and did you know Charlotte has a higher GDP than Atlanta?
San Francisco higher than Chicago?! Are you mad? The only possible switch between cities from the GFCI rankings that would make any sense would be Boston & SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City