Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you choose to live?
DC 89 44.06%
San Francisco 113 55.94%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:49 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Ugh yeah me too.... I was the super sweaty dude checking out the Lincoln Memorial.

I was in a wedding near the Chesapeake Bay in July. Lucky I didn't pass out in my tux.
I know I usually pass out in my tux at weddings.

I didn't know there was such as thing as "visible humidity" until my visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 02:51 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Ugh yeah me too.... I was the super sweaty dude checking out the Lincoln Memorial.

I was in a wedding near the Chesapeake Bay in July. Lucky I didn't pass out in my tux.

Ehh you folks get soft out in Cali when it comes to weather

I hate the heat too, DC can be as bad Atlanta in some ways in the summer. Oddly only 100 miles away it is slightly more bearable on thiose really hot days, maybe DC is far enough from the ocean it rises a little more, but the humidity feels worse, odd as the averages are pretty similar and the EC has some pretty nasty heat/humidity during the summer (Boston not as much) but NYC on down can be pretty sticky in the summer. To me the smmers are more extreme than winters which I more often hear referenced. I hate hot summers, why the deep south is not a place I want to be. Houston and NOLA being just awful to me in the summer weather wise

Old 02-14-2012, 02:59 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Ehh you folks get soft out in Cali when it comes to weather

I hate the heat too, DC can be as bad Atlanta in some ways in the summer. Oddly only 100 miles away it is slightly more bearable on thiose really hot days, maybe DC is far enough from the ocean it rises a little more, but the humidity feels worse, odd as the averages are pretty similar and the EC has some pretty nasty heat/humidity during the summer (Boston not as much) but NYC on down can be pretty sticky in the summer. To me the smmers are more extreme than winters which I more often hear referenced. I hate hot summers, why the deep south is not a place I want to be. Houston and NOLA being just awful to me in the summer weather wise
Yeah, Boston I could handle, really it was the long drawn out winters that killed me. I would imagine DC would be better in this regard. Actually I may prefer the weather in DC to that of San Francisco (I like the sun). I never actually lived in San Francisco, just the East Bay, but Richmond got hella foggy in the winter, some days the sun just never came out.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:22 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
No one on the East Coast knows about it. Let's keep it 100. If it was called anything other than Golden Gate Park, no one outside of SF would know about it. Stop acting like it's Central Park son. It's not on the level of the National Mall. 27 million visitors annually, the scene of countless movies blockbuster movies, inaugurations, Million man march, MLK, I have a dream speech, Vietnam Memorial, Native American Museum, Air & Space, Smithsonian, Cherry Blossums, 100's of protest marches, etc. I can show a picture of the National Mall to starving kid in a village anywhere in the world and they would say America. Golden Gate Park is not on that level.
Another snoozefest from the Northeast.

The national mall in the minds of most people has a Macy's and a Saks Fifth Avenue and is located in Minnesota. Haha.

Speaking of which, does DC proper even have either of those 2 department stores located within its municipal borders?

Also, Its apparent that people in the Northeast dont travel nearly as much as they should cause despite this deranged, bloated head, chest thumping blather, public opinion is something yall have no control over. The Golden Gate Bridge is more well known around the world than anything on the East Coast:
Leading World Attractions, 2005

Rank/ Attraction/ City/ Awarness by Respondents
1 Eiffel Tower/ Paris/ 78.96%
2 Golden Gate Bridge/ San Francisco/ 74.47%
3 White House/ Washington DC/ 66.47%
4 Opera House/ Sydney/ 62.95%
5 Pyramids/ Cairo/ 61.46%
6 Statue of Liberty/ New York/ 54.23%
7 Edinburgh Castle/ Edinburgh/ 53.30%
8 Red Square/ Moscow/ 51.83%
9 Cristo Redentor/ Rio de Janeiro 50.59%
10 Big Ben/ London/ 46.08%
11 Colosseum/ Rome/ 44.49%
12 CN Tower/ Toronto/ 35.53%
13 Kremlin/ Moscow/ 35.02%
14 Hollywood/ Los Angeles/ 31.69%

http://www.publications.parliament.u...34/6061317.htm

Old 02-14-2012, 04:25 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Another snoozefest from the Northeast.

The national mall in the minds of most people has a Macy's and a Saks Fifth Avenue and is located in Minnesota. Haha.

Speaking of which, does DC proper even have either of those 2 department stores located within its municipal borders?

Also, Its apparent that people in the Northeast dont travel nearly as much as they should cause despite this deranged, bloated head, chest thumping blather, public opinion is something yall have no control over. The Golden Gate Bridge is more well known around the world than anything on the East Coast:
Leading World Attractions, 2005

Rank/ Attraction/ City/ Awarness by Respondents
1 Eiffel Tower/ Paris/ 78.96%
2 Golden Gate Bridge/ San Francisco/ 74.47%
3 White House/ Washington DC/ 66.47%
4 Opera House/ Sydney/ 62.95%
5 Pyramids/ Cairo/ 61.46%
6 Statue of Liberty/ New York/ 54.23%
7 Edinburgh Castle/ Edinburgh/ 53.30%
8 Red Square/ Moscow/ 51.83%
9 Cristo Redentor/ Rio de Janeiro 50.59%
10 Big Ben/ London/ 46.08%
11 Colosseum/ Rome/ 44.49%
12 CN Tower/ Toronto/ 35.53%
13 Kremlin/ Moscow/ 35.02%
14 Hollywood/ Los Angeles/ 31.69%

http://www.publications.parliament.u...34/6061317.htm
In 2005.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
LOL seriously... What they do in DC is considered work?
They're primarily glorified file clerks and assistants to powerful out of towners, who control even their very breath.

Obama is from Chicago
Biden is from Philadelphia
Harry Reid is from Vegas
McConnell is from Kentucky
Boehner is from Ohio
Pelosi is from San Francisco

People from DC mainly fetch their coffee and pick up their drycleaning.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 02-14-2012 at 04:41 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The country can't survive without Wall Street and DC. We could do without Silicon Valley.
Neither Wall Street or DC have anywhere near the respect and admiration of the world that is enjoyed by Silicon Valley.

Its a matter of productivity that yields an actual 'product'---neither Wall St nor DC would understand.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
In 2005.
Yeah, all of those attractions are much older than 2005----its called global noteriety. And there it is, the Golden Gate Bridge, second in a study commissioned by the British parliament, only to the Eiffel Tower.

LMAO.

Next.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:41 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Neither Wall Street or DC have anywhere near the respect and admiration of the world that is enjoyed by Silicon Valley.

Its a matter of productivity that yields an actual 'product'---neither Wall St nor DC would understand.
You're joking right? I hope you are.

Silicon Valley has become a hub for greed. It's sole purpose is revenue. And what "products" does Silicon Valley make? Hardware is manufactured overseas. Software is not a product. Anybody could learn to write code.

If Silicon Valley is so concerned about distancing itself from the badboys in NYC and DC, I suggest it stop going to Wall Street and DC to open IPOs and lobby firms.

Silicon Valley is no angel.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
You're joking right? I hope you are.

Silicon Valley has become a hub for greed. It's sole purpose is revenue. And what "products" does Silicon Valley make? Hardware is manufactured overseas. Software is not a product. Anybody could learn to write code.

If Silicon Valley is so concerned about distancing itself from the badboys in NYC and DC, I suggest it stop going to Wall Street and DC to open IPOs and lobby firms.

Silicon Valley is no angel.
Yawns.

Meanwhile you guys are taking my congresswoman's dog for a walk.

Thanks btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City