Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you choose to live?
DC 89 44.06%
San Francisco 113 55.94%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:58 PM

90 posts, read 207,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Kidphilly: two key differences

A) the nearby natural scenery is almost always still within metro/CSA limits
B) we're discussin two cities. Why bring up other CSAs at all. It seems like a bad argument, the two cities should be compared on their own merits.

Besides like you said, it's not like NYC and DC are a stone's throw from each, why even lean on that? Quite frankly, it's seems nutty to drive from DC to NYC and not stay the night. That's minimum 8 hours of driving round trip.
8 hours round trip between DC & NYC.

Just about the same time to drive ONE WAY from SF to LA. I understand that it's best to spend the night when making the trip from SF to LA or vice versa.

But from DC to NYC people do it all the time. Think about it:

Leave DC 7 AM.
Arrive in NYC 11 AM.
Spend time in NYC from 11 AM to 7 PM for 8 hours.
Leave NYC at 7 PM
Arrive in DC 11 PM.

Just in time to watch the nightly news and talk about your day trip. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 07:32 PM

896 posts, read 1,168,968 times
It's pretty sad DC posters have to resort to day trips of 4 hours to other cities to be competitive with everything the SF metro has to offer.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:37 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popnet View Post

Just about the same time to drive ONE WAY from SF to LA. I understand that it's best to spend the night when making the trip from SF to LA or vice versa.

Leave DC 7 AM.
Arrive in NYC 11 AM.
Leave NYC at 7 PM
Arrive in DC 11 PM.

False. It's 5-7 hours at most and generally closer to 5.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 PM

515 posts, read 986,015 times
Quote:

Leave DC 7 AM.
Arrive in NYC 11 AM.
Leave NYC at 7 PM
Arrive in DC 11 PM.

I'm originally from the SF Bay Area, however have been living in NYC for the last 7+ years. I find this "proximity" argument to be slightly ridiculous.

I have never gone on a day trip to DC by car - nor has anyone I know since I've been living here. I've gone for the weekend (a couple times), but not in a single day. You could get stuck in traffic in and/or out of the Lincoln tunnel and those 4 hours of driving could quickly turn to 6+. Philly is definitely doable, but a day trip to DC would be exhausting. I do think think the cheap bus lines between East Coast cities are great though, they make weekend trips quite affordable when you don't have a car. That said, there are pretty frequent and cheap flights between SF area airports and Southern California airports, so the Bay Area really isn't as isolated as people are suggesting.

When I live in a city however, my ideal weekend getaway is to go see some nature. Therefore, I would give the edge to "proximity" to San Francisco, since it is amazing for weekend getaways - Napa (Wine Country), Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite - are all great escapes from city life. People fly from across the country to visit these places. There are some great places near DC, but IMO the edge goes to SF.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:58 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
San Francisco has restaurants every bit as good as DC if not better...not to mention DC has nothing on Chinatown. And San Francisco was one of the cleanest cities I've ever been to.
SF has clean and dirty parts, like any city...but overall it's definitely not one of the cleaner cities in the nation, in my opinion.

Quote:
bums in SFO I've found are much friendlier and less aggressive than in DC. In fact, many of the ones I've seen in SF could pass for middle class in other cities.
This is hilariously wrong. Which SF did you go to? Anyone you thought was homeless that looked "middle class" (I'm assuming pretty well dressed and groomed or something?) was probably not actually homeless, or they were very newly homeless...or they were just "professional panhandlers" (usually poor but non homeless people who panhandle for part/all of their income).

I've also heard many people complain that SF has an abnormal number of crazy, intimidating and pushy homeless people. When was the last time a homeless man went on a random stabbing spree against women and children on public transit, or beat a random man to death, or stabbed and tried to rape a foreign exchange student after she bought him a sandwich? All of that has happened in SF in recent years...this city does seem to have a problem where lots of homeless people are literally insane (or simply aggressive and rude...street life is not fun or easy). Maybe DC does have a higher ratio of insane/aggresive/rude bums than SF, I dunno...but I kind of doubt it based on what I've heard over the years, combined with the fact that SF has more homeless people than DC anyways.

SF does have some laid back, friendly homeless people though, maybe even more than your average city (SF is both in CA and the homeless "capitol"), and maybe you ran into a few like that, but it's not like those type of people are unique to SF.

Last edited by rah; 02-15-2012 at 08:33 PM..

Old 02-15-2012, 08:12 PM

90 posts, read 207,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
False. It's 5-7 hours at most and generally closer to 5.
That is bull. Lolz! I have made it in 3.5 hours with no traffic and maintaining about 10 above legal speed. LOLz!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
That is bull. Lolz! I have made it in 3.5 hours with no traffic and maintaining about 10 above legal speed. LOLz!

I'm talking about from SF to LA.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
SF has clean and dirty parts, like any city...but overall it's definitely not one of the cleaner cities in the nation, in my opinion.

This is hilariously wrong. Which SF did you go to? Anyone you thought was homeless that looked "middle class" (I'm assuming well dressed and groomed?) was probably not actually homeless, or they were very newly homeless...or they were just "professional panhandlers" (usually poor but non homeless people who panhandle for part/all of their income).
I don't understand what parts of SF tourists are visiting when they say stuff like that. They clearly aren't going to Chinatown/Downtown/SOMA/etc, let alone the Tenderloin. And there's definitely nothing "middle class" about the homeless in the Tenderloin or the Mission or Chinatown for that matter.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:44 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,088 times
My sister and dad took a bus to NYC for a college tour at NYU. Left sometime around 7am and came back 12+ hours later. I could never spend just 1 day in NYC since there is so much to do and explore. But the fact I can make such a quick getaway there is quite appealing.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:49 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I don't understand what parts of SF tourists are visiting when they say stuff like that. They clearly aren't going to Chinatown/Downtown/SOMA/etc, let alone the Tenderloin. And there's definitely nothing "middle class" about the homeless in the Tenderloin or the Mission or Chinatown for that matter.
My friend told me that Downtown SF is filled with tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City