Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you choose to live?
DC 89 44.06%
San Francisco 113 55.94%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 05:13 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
If Washington is southern, so is Philadelphia. I have relatives in Washington, in South Carolina, and in Louisiana. Washington is worlds removed from either of those. I feel much closer to the Northeast in Washington than to the south. Even Richmond is culturally far different. The Bos-Wash corridor is called that for a reason..same continous urban population, and same continuous culture. You are W-R-O-N-G.
Family in South Carolina? Louisiana? What big city the size of DC exists in South Carolina for you to be comparing southern culture from one place in the south to another. By that same rationale Austin should have all the same southern qualities of Memphis?

DC is in the south, always has been and will always remain to be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 05:40 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I know all about Black DC history and no, there is not a black population anywhere in the nation with as much cultural uniqueness as DC. The unique local clothing brands and music "GoGo" really puts DC over the top. My family migrated to DC back in the 1930's from southern Virginia just like most black people.
Move over NYC, Atlanta, New Orleans, etc etc etc...

Old 02-18-2012, 06:04 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Move over NYC, Atlanta, New Orleans, etc etc etc...
Yes! What music do Black people in Atlanta or NYC have that no other city in the nation have? What fashion brands do people in NYC or ATL have that no other city has or wears? DC is the ONLY place that can truly say no other city has what we have. The mere fact that you don't know what I'm talking about is my point! How about you name something that rules the cultural scene in their black communities I have never heard of.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:10 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Yes! What music do Black people in Atlanta or NYC have that no other city in the nation have? What fashion brands do people in NYC or ATL have that no other city has or wears? DC is the ONLY place that can truly say no other city has what we have. The mere fact that you don't know what I'm talking about is my point! How about you name something that rules the cultural scene in their black communities I have never heard of.
lol... you are making the case for NYC and Atlanta though over DC... Like I said, NYC was "on to the next thing"...
The hip hop/ rap was originally underground in NYC, yet was so good, it captivated a worldwide audience both popular and amongst music critics depending on artists... If you want to see it in original form and at height of innovations, you can still go there...and they are on the cutting edge.
Same thing that happened with Jazz and New Orleans...
The fact that GoGo hasn't spread out of DC speaks volumes for the quality of the music. DC did have a good punk scene though.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
So by the time your family migrated, the Harlem renaissance in NY and the Jazz Age in New Orleans and other cities was already over and on to the next thing... DC is one of many cities with a unique black culture... you don't have some claim on uniqueness, to say only points to your probably huge pride.
I'm not talking about universal mediums like Jazz which is and has been all over. I'm not talking about designers that have been nationwide trends. I'm speaking about music you can only hear in DC. I'm talking about clothing brands you can only buy in DC that was more popular than every national brand in DC in the black community. The fact that you don't know what I'm talking about shows why I'm right. How about you name some form of music or local clothing brands that were more popular than national brands in another city. If it is found in another city now, it's no longer unique.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:16 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about universal mediums like Jazz which is and has been all over. I'm not talking about designers that have been nationwide trends. I'm speaking about music you can only hear in DC. I'm talking about clothing brands you can only buy in DC that was more popular than every national brand in DC in the black community. The fact that you don't know what I'm talking about shows why I'm right. How about you name some form of music or local clothing brands that were more popular than national brands in another city. If it is found in another city now, it's no longer unique.
You realize in somewhere that is a fashion center like NYC, they get the latest stuff first, then people across the nation follow those trends, b/c they look to NYC for style right? The local designer styles get adopted and made in mass by the bigger designers and fashion houses. DC is not seen as a center of style, that is why nobody else is wearing it. You don't think if there was a chance for the designer to make millions by a particular style they wouldn't jump allover the chance? Of course they would. The thing is, in NYC...they do. That is why when people move from NYC to elsewhere, they say "this is 2 years out of style", etc. By the time you see it nationally, NYC is already on to something else. NYC is unique AND a trendsetter. DC is just unique.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
lol... you are making the case for NYC and Atlanta though over DC... Like I said, NYC was "on to the next thing"...
The hip hop/ rap was originally underground in NYC, yet was so good, it captivated a worldwide audience both popular and amongst music critics depending on artists... If you want to see it in original form and at height of innovations, you can still go there...and they are on the cutting edge.
Same thing that happened with Jazz and New Orleans...
The fact that GoGo hasn't spread out of DC speaks volumes for the quality of the music. DC did have a good punk scene though.
No! It's speaks to the fact that we are nothing like the rest of you and we want to keep it that way. Have you ever met a black person originally from DC? It you had of, you would know that the last thing we want to happen is for some city to try to take our culture.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
You realize in somewhere that is a fashion center like NYC, they get the latest stuff first, then people across the nation follow those trends, b/c they look to NYC for style right? The local designer styles get adopted and made in mass by the bigger designers and fashion houses. DC is not seen as a center of style, that is why nobody else is wearing it. You don't think if there was a chance for the designer to make millions by a particular style they wouldn't jump allover the chance? Of course they would. The thing is, in NYC...they do.
Look, DC is like a different planet. We didn't do what everyone was doing. We didn't sag or wear baggy clothes in the early 1990's. DC girls started wearing stretch jeans which the rest of the world now calls skiny jeans back in 1998. A whole decade before the rest of you caught on. Every heard of parasuco? Think of us as a different country. Do you wear clothing from Africa?

Old 02-18-2012, 06:24 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Quote:
Have you heard of a city called Houston? Its also very unique with the AA community. Look I'm a huge fan of the south and have been to Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Miami hundreds of times and I live in DC, so I always have much to say about these 5 big southern metros. Allow me to explain what you're saying as only regional.

You say DC is unique because of GoGo, the accents, etc. Then what do you think of the AA culture in Houston? The city has its own style of music too called 'Chopped N Screwed' with culture that revolves around Codeine Syrup [Purple Drank/Lean] and the culture that revolves around Pokers and swang for street car culture. Candy paint slabs, etc. The accents are different too among the AA popular figures from Houston.

New Orleans AA music scene is unique, New York's is unique, Houston's is unique, and DC's is unique. DC is not alone on how unique the AA culture there is. You say DC doesnt want other places jocking its style, the same can be said of Houston. The culture there is unified the community, they call Houston by another name Screwston because DJ Screw founded what became their largest musical movement.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Paul View Post
San Francisco is absolutely one of the worst places I've ever traveled to. I don't know if it was the day I went or how I consider fun. But that city was totally boring. I actually had more fun in Oakland. DC on the other side was very fun and awesome. San Francisco was a little to soft for my flavor. People seemed a little to accepting to the point I found it rude. For instance, the one guy was a homeless street performer and had his hat on the ground collecting money. It was a little windy outside, and while everyone was smiling and watching the guy, the money flew all over the place. People started to smirk, and walk off disrespectfully without even picking up 1 dollar for the man. That city has a lot of problems, I don't care how posh it is. San Francisco is like that house thats nice on the outside and full of crap on the inside. It needs a clean up. It's the most overrated city on this forum, and the things that people say about it, isn't even 50% true.
Your post is just absurd. So, you were standing on the corner with a bunch of tourists in Union Square or Fishermen's Wharf or one of the other tourist trap areas watching some guy perform and the wind blew some of his dollars around and because some of your fellow tourists walked off apparently smirking this is supposed to be a poor reflection on SF and its residents? Do you even realize how silly, judgmental, trifling, and ridiculous your post makes you appear? Although I did get a bit of a chuckle from your comments at your expense, I do think you need to be concerned about your lack of critical reasoning skills.

Also, while I think DC is a great town and certainly a much more interesting and nicer place to live in than it was when I first visited it 25 years ago, it is not exactly an exciting place to live, nor does it even have a sliver of the natural beauty of San Francisco and the surrounding Bay Area.

And, yes, San Francisco is hyped because it is a beautiful and interesting city in which many people would like to live. If it were not so desirable, it wouldn't have some of the most expensive housing prices and rents in the U.S. That said, I am not arguing that the city is perfect, and I agree that like any city, it has issues that it needs to resolve. Also, I think other cities are better than SF in certain categories, for example, New York is a far more exciting place (though, it is a far more exciting place than most cities in the world). However, none of this diminishes what San Francisco has to offer.

Finally, the next time you visit a place, try to open your eyes, expand your boundaries, and enjoy what the place has to offer, rather than spoiling your own experience by focusing on minor distractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City