Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you choose to live?
DC 89 44.06%
San Francisco 113 55.94%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:00 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't know. I was in DC this past weekend and was astounded by the scale of development going on down there.

For example, this raggedy looking lot at 14th and W Streets...

14th Street and W Street NW Washington, DC - Google Maps

...has been completely filled in with this huge condo development. That dirty looking YMCS has been demolished. It's almost like they did it all overnight. Those condos will probably be finished by the end of the summer.

DCmud: Construction Expected to Start on 14th Street’s Utopia in Fall 2011

In Eckington, this used to be a big grassy field in a former industrial zone.

Eckington Place Northeast, Washington, DC - Google Maps

Now the 600 unit building on this site is almost complete. And they're building another 600 unit building right next to it. That should be complete in the fall.

Construction Starts on 603-unit Project in NoMa | NoMa

And the most progress has been made just north of Union Station. That area used to be awful. But now each of these lots have been completely filled in with 9-story condo buildings. They've even got 8-9 story condo buildings going up on North Capitol Street, which used to be homicide central.

NoMa, Washington, DC - Google Maps
Was in DC in the last month, is going gangbusters no doubt, yes more development. My point is even with this development that the level of SF on urbanity is still not achieved, it is a different level, not sure DC will ever achieve the cohesion of vibrancy. That said DC is very vibrant and making huge strides in this regard all the time

I personally like both cities very much, I do however prefer SF in this comparison

On development going on DC wins, absolutely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
How are we ascertaining what these records that DC's growth are breaking are, and that he nation has never seen before? That's a pretty bold statement...
I'm talking about the gentrification of dangerous blighted neighborhoods. Just look at the crime rate from the 90's in D.C. compared to the D.C. 2011 crime rate.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:26 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I'm talking about the gentrification of dangerous blighted neighborhoods. Just look at the crime rate from the 90's in D.C. compared to the D.C. 2011 crime rate.
Do you have any raw numbers, stats, etc, anything that's not anecdotal, though, that quantify that DC surpasses NYC's gentrification over the last couple decades, or that of LA during the credit boom, let alone any historical changes from decades past? Saying that the nation has "never seen anything like DC's current growth" is an extremely lofty statement when you consider America in the macro...

Old 02-24-2012, 10:30 AM

515 posts, read 986,747 times
Quote:
NYC city made changes, but no where near the pace of D.C. NYC is bigger therefore, it almost can't compete when it comes to gentrifying a whole city in the amount of time D.C. changed which was about 5 years. When it comes to gentrified dangerous neighborhoods, D.C. has changed faster than NYC.
Quote:
Wait what are you talking about. Within a matter of two posts you contradict yourself? Is this a turn around in the last 5 years or since 1990s? Regardless, I think your hubris is getting the best of you. I don't think anyone is arguing that DC isn't enjoying an incredible renaissance. I just fundamentally disagree that it exceeds anything seen in other major American cities, New York in particular. In San Francisco, what this thread is actually about (not New York), 15 years ago you wouldn't think of going to the South of Market area at night. Today its the epicenter of the city's club scene, home of the Giants ballpark, and the focus of the majority of large-scale residential projects.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:31 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,237,301 times
Quote:
The same exact type of drop happened in NYC too...as well as almost every other big city in the nation, SF included, which had over twice the violent crime rate and over twice the property crime rate in 1992 compared to now (though the change hasn't been quite as big in SF vs. DC or NYC). DC does look like it has had some of the most change/gentrification overall, but to say it's had the most period is definitely a bold statement to make, seeing as there is/was plenty of competition in that department, not to mention that "gentrification level" is a hard thing to measure anyways.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
This is about commercial residential high-rise buildings.
Hahahahaha.......yet DC only has 59 projects TOTAL that are seeking contractors at this time. Better luck next time trying to convince us that DC is Dubai. LOL. Furthermore, Sorry hun, you dont get to control the terms of the argument. The fact that you refuse to list anything big or iconic that is happening in DC begs the question if anything noteworthy is being built there at all.

Which means that all you have to report is urban infill. Which is nice, but Manhattan(you brought Manhattan into the conversation-for what I have no clue) and SF are already urban compared to DC---your simply trying to play catch up.

The Transbay Terminal project is $4-5 Billion and is bigger than anything going on in DC.

Construction on the terminal has already begun and oh, and btw, nearly every building in this picture did not exist before 2000.

The ongoing UCSF/Mission Bay project will top the $5 Billion mark when all is said and done:

These are just 2 projects. We have several other huge projects that will change the dynamic of the city.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Do you have any raw numbers, stats, etc, anything that's not anecdotal, though, that quantify that DC surpasses NYC's gentrification over the last couple decades, or that of LA during the credit boom, let alone any historical changes from decades past? Saying that the nation has "never seen anything like DC's current growth" is an extremely lofty statement when you consider America in the macro...
There aren't any statistical analysis that have been made comparing cities based on gentrification. The only factor I can think of is analyzing crime statistics over a period of time. We really don't have to do that though because it's common knowledge that D.C. was the most dangerous city this nation has ever seen in the 1990's recording a murder rate of over 80 murders per 100,000 people which is the highest of any city in the nation since the founding of this country. In 1991, D.C. had 479 murders with a population of 600,000 people. The change in D.C. has not been seen by any city anywhere.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Wait what are you talking about. Within a matter of two posts you contradict yourself? Is this a turn around in the last 5 years or since 1990s? Regardless, I think your hubris is getting the best of you. I don't think anyone is arguing that DC isn't enjoying an incredible renaissance. I just fundamentally disagree that it exceeds anything seen in other major American cities, New York in particular. In San Francisco, what this thread is actually about (not New York), 15 years ago you wouldn't think of going to the South of Market area at night. Today its the epicenter of the city's club scene, home of the Giants ballpark, and the focus of the majority of large-scale residential projects.
Yeah, the first time I went to the SOMA area was waaaaay back in 2006. Even from 06 to 09, the change was massive, with a couple high-rise living spaces going up, conversions of warehouses and disused spaces into retail and housing... hell, from 09 to 11, with the demolition of the Transbay Terminal, the opening of Art Institute student housing and an ever-increasing number of bars and restaurants, SOMA is evolving massively.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hahahahaha.......yet DC only has 59 projects TOTAL that are seeking contractors at this time. Better luck next time trying to convince us that DC is Dubai. LOL. Furthermore, Sorry hun, you dont get to control the terms of the argument. The fact that you refuse to list anything big or iconic that is happening in DC begs the question if anything noteworthy is being built there at all.

Which means that all you have to report is urban infill. Which is nice, but Manhattan(you brought Manhattan into the conversation-for what I have no clue) and SF are already urban compared to DC---your simply trying to play catch up.

The Transbay Terminal project is $4-5 Billion and is bigger than anything going on in DC.

Construction on the terminal has already begun and oh, and btw, nearly every building in this picture did not exist before 2000.

The ongoing UCSF/Mission Bay project will top the $5 Billion mark when all is said and done:

These are just 2 projects. We have several other huge projects that will change the dynamic of the city.
Ok, this is just comical. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You posted a link with a list of building construction for play grounds, water sewer treatment plants, and strip malls. LOL.....we are only building residential high-rises which are not even included in your link. What are you talking about? How are any of the projects in your link helping the vibrancy and build in a city?

Old 02-24-2012, 10:47 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Yeah, the first time I went to the SOMA area was waaaaay back in 2006. Even from 06 to 09, the change was massive, with a couple high-rise living spaces going up, conversions of warehouses and disused spaces into retail and housing... hell, from 09 to 11, with the demolition of the Transbay Terminal, the opening of Art Institute student housing and an ever-increasing number of bars and restaurants, SOMA is evolving massively.
Yeah, when I moved back to the Bay Area from NYC to work at JPMorganChase's west coast HQ, I was shocked that their office was 'South of Market'---that was a huge no-no back in the day of the elite SF financial sector to be located outside of the Financial District, but today SOMA is rivaling the Financial District as a prestigous business address and a major center for multimedia and tech related companies.

I recently went to a thing for the grand opening of Wharton School of Business' SF Campus in the old Hills Brothers' buiding, next to the new Gap world HQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City