Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Louisiana to Houston to Denver to NOVA
16,508 posts, read 26,341,685 times
Reputation: 13298

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Agreed, a large skyline may help a smaller city seem larger, but that alone does not make the city large (and especially 'great' - a skyline is nothing without vibrant pedestrian activity / dense built environment at the base IMO).

I would say Boston is the small city that can stand with the big boys - partially because it's municipality is cut into smaller cities. Boston is the 23rd largest city with the 10th largest metro.

Compare that to a place like Jacksonville, FL where the city is basically the entire metro.

Interestingly enough, Atlanta follows the same pattern as Boston - Small municipality (population wise ) and larger metro area. Atlanta is the 40th biggest city in the US but the 9th largest metro area. I think Atlanta can compete on many levels with larger cities, but 'big city feel' is not one of them IMO.
We're talking smaller metros and larger metros, not smaller cities. The municipalities of Boston and Atlanta don't represent the metro at all.

 
Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,078 posts, read 15,872,100 times
Reputation: 4049
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
We're talking smaller metros and larger metros, not smaller cities. The municipalities of Boston and Atlanta don't represent the metro at all.
oops.
 
Old 02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
 
Location: The City
22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Reputation: 7976
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Agreed, a large skyline may help a smaller city seem larger, but that alone does not make the city large (and especially 'great' - a skyline is nothing without vibrant pedestrian activity / dense built environment at the base IMO).

I would say Boston is the small city that can stand with the big boys - partially because it's municipality is cut into smaller cities. Boston is the 23rd largest city with the 10th largest metro.

Compare that to a place like Jacksonville, FL where the city is basically the entire metro.

Interestingly enough, Atlanta follows the same pattern as Boston - Small municipality (population wise ) and larger metro area. Atlanta is the 40th biggest city in the US but the 9th largest metro area. I think Atlanta can compete on many levels with larger cities, but 'big city feel' is not one of them IMO.

A little off topic

But the Metros 1-6

NYC #1 city and Metro
LA #2 and #2
Chicago #3 and #3
DFW ~10ish and 4
Houston 4 and 5/6
Philly 5 and 5/6

Top top cities in population nearly align on the metro oddly enough
 
Old 02-15-2012, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,509 posts, read 11,886,979 times
Reputation: 2501
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Isn't having a huge or more impressive skyline more about vanity and greed rather then making a city great? I mean look at Dubai, all of that was built overnight with slave labor from Pakistan. Dubai has Vanity written all over there face, they are like waving you to come over and look at what they have done in the past 15 years but in reality Dubai is just a hot desert and all these buildings are like mirages.

Fayetteville, arkansas could easily have the most impressive buildings in the world, walmart could have built 10 125 story buildings but would this impressive skyline really make them that great of a city? Most of the largest buildings in the world are built and owned by greedy blood sucking banks but some of the newer companies have modest sprawling campuses. Imagine if Silicon Valley was all concentrated in San Jose, that would be one impressive skyline but i think most of the companies built based on practicality, ease and available cheap land.
Excellent point -- and really underscored on these threads, yet you couldn't be more correct, IMO!
 
Old 02-15-2012, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,509 posts, read 11,886,979 times
Reputation: 2501
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
A little off topic

But the Metros 1-6

NYC #1 city and Metro
LA #2 and #2
Chicago #3 and #3
DFW ~10ish and 4
Houston 4 and 5/6
Philly 5 and 5/6

Top top cities in population nearly align on the metro oddly enough
If I may...

City and Metro (top 10 by CITY):

NYC #1 and #1
Chicago #2 and #3
SF #3 and #4
Philly #4 and #8
DC #5 and #5 (N/I Baltimore)
Boston #6 and #10
LA #7 and #2
Detroit #8 and #15 (shocker!)
Miami #9 and #9
Seattle #10 and #12

*DFW N/A and #6
*Houston N/A and #7
*Atlanta N/A and #11

*big-time metro, city feels suburban and small(er) than other majors
 
Old 02-15-2012, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Louisiana to Houston to Denver to NOVA
16,508 posts, read 26,341,685 times
Reputation: 13298
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
If I may...

City and Metro (top 10 by CITY):

NYC #1 #1
Chicago #2 and #3
SF #3 and #4
Philly #4 and #5
DC #5 and #9 (N/I Baltimore)
Boston #6 and #10
LA #7 and #2
Detroit #8 and #15 (shocker!)
Miami #9 and #8
Seattle #10 and #12

*DFW N/A and #6
*Houston N/A and #7
*Atlanta N/A and #11

*big-time metro, city feels suburban and small(er) than other majors
So because Houston is suburban it no longer governs the 2.1 million people in it's governing body? Well I'm glad you don't work for the Census Bureau.
 
Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,509 posts, read 11,886,979 times
Reputation: 2501
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
So because Houston is suburban it no longer governs the 2.1 million people in it's governing body? Well I'm glad you don't work for the Census Bureau.
It's a perspective, and not absolute. If you feel that Houston FEELS bigger than any city I ranked above it, feel free to explain your viewpoint. Obviously, the City of Houston is not a suburb....I thought that was inherent.
 
Old 02-15-2012, 01:26 PM
 
Location: The City
22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Reputation: 7976
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
If I may...

City and Metro (top 10 by CITY):

NYC #1 and #1
Chicago #2 and #3
SF #3 and #4
Philly #4 and #8
DC #5 and #5 (N/I Baltimore)
Boston #6 and #10
LA #7 and #2
Detroit #8 and #15 (shocker!)
Miami #9 and #9
Seattle #10 and #12

*DFW N/A and #6
*Houston N/A and #7
*Atlanta N/A and #11

*big-time metro, city feels suburban and small(er) than other majors

?? Huh? without Baltimore today there is no way DC is larger than Philly, by any metric really, though DC is def growing faster

And Philly on 8 as metro, am surprised unless u go CSAish which with Boston as 10 am assuming not

but this is off task here, sorry posted to largest Cities and MSA but found it interesting that these basically align and after is all over the place in general
 
Old 02-15-2012, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Louisiana to Houston to Denver to NOVA
16,508 posts, read 26,341,685 times
Reputation: 13298
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
It's a perspective, and not absolute. If you feel that Houston FEELS bigger than any city I ranked above it, feel free to explain your viewpoint. Obviously, the City of Houston is not a suburb....I thought that was inherent.
Which has nothing to do with numbers. Houston is the 4th largest city, not Philly.
 
Old 02-15-2012, 02:31 PM
 
Location: where u wish u lived
896 posts, read 1,171,642 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
If I may...

City and Metro (top 10 by CITY):

NYC #1 and #1
Chicago #2 and #3
SF #3 and #4
Philly #4 and #8
DC #5 and #5 (N/I Baltimore)
Boston #6 and #10
LA #7 and #2
Detroit #8 and #15 (shocker!)
Miami #9 and #9
Seattle #10 and #12

*DFW N/A and #6
*Houston N/A and #7
*Atlanta N/A and #11

*big-time metro, city feels suburban and small(er) than other majors
Have you ever traveled to any of these cities to make such a list I can tell by your list that you never have, I can see someone making a case for the city of Chicago but in no way do any of these other cities feel larger than LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top