Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:36 AM

36,644 posts, read 67,332,308 times

Advertisements

Atlanta's main mass is wider overall, for sure, so I can understand how one can say it feels bigger, but the Bay Area's density extends over a much wider area overall.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:56 AM

26,808 posts, read 37,853,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
You're right that Montreal mops the floor with Atlanta in terms of architecture (especially classic architecture). I also agree with Atlanta having an advantage in media .
Why is Atlanta ahead of Montreal in media? Simply because it is home to CNN?

Montreal is home to an entire "national" entertainment industry, with numerous TV networks and magazines headquartered there, and even a local movie industry that has regular red-carpet premieres, awards shows, etc.

For Quebec and French-speaking Canada, Montreal is NYC and Hollywood rolled up into one. Of course, it is small potatoes compared to NYC and Hollywood, but it is still way bigger than anything you would find in any other city in the U.S. except for the two giants.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,454,281 times
^Based on a lot of the factors posted previously, i think Montreal is a metro that does stack up and exceeds Atlanta

Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 AM

37,838 posts, read 41,708,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Montreal is home to an entire "national" entertainment industry, with numerous TV networks and magazines headquartered there, and even a local movie industry that has regular red-carpet premieres, awards shows, etc.

For Quebec and French-speaking Canada, Montreal is NYC and Hollywood rolled up into one. Of course, it is small potatoes compared to NYC and Hollywood, but it is still way bigger than anything you would find in any other city in the U.S. except for the two giants.
I'm not necessarily saying that Atlanta edges out Montreal in media because I don't really know anything about Montreal's media industry, but media in Atlanta extends far beyond CNN. You also have Ted Turner's conglomerate consisting of HLN, TBS, TNT, TCM, truTV, Cartoon Network, and Boomerang; the Weather Channel; Cox Enterprises; Tyler Perry Studios; and a slew of movies and TV shows filmed in and around Atlanta.

Seems to me that just the national reach of Atlanta-based media would trump the Montreal-based media that's limited to Quebec and French-speaking Canada.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:59 PM

26,808 posts, read 37,853,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not necessarily saying that Atlanta edges out Montreal in media because I don't really know anything about Montreal's media industry, but media in Atlanta extends far beyond CNN. You also have Ted Turner's conglomerate consisting of HLN, TBS, TNT, TCM, truTV, Cartoon Network, and Boomerang; the Weather Channel; Cox Enterprises; Tyler Perry Studios; and a slew of movies and TV shows filmed in and around Atlanta.

Seems to me that just the national reach of Atlanta-based media would trump the Montreal-based media that's limited to Quebec and French-speaking Canada.
Except that Montreal and Atlanta are not in the same *nation*, right?

Sure, CNN reaches more people because its home market is bigger than that of a francophone network based in Montreal, but then again, there are certainly many Indian or Chinese networks out there that dwarf CNN.

Not to disparage Atlanta or even the U.S., but most of the networks you mentioned (aside from CNN) have little more relative impact outside of the U.S. than the Montreal-based networks have outside of Quebec.

So the real question is probably the cities' media influence within their respective *nations*. In that sense, Montreal is by far a bigger media, cultural and entertainment centre in its neck of the woods than Atlanta is.

Note also that Montreal's film industry (self-contained from A to Z, not just Hollywood shooting in a regional *location*) has placed an Oscar-nominated movie among the best foreign film category finalists two years in a row.

EDIT: Just checked and there are roughly 50 TV networks based in Montreal. *Our* ESPN is there, as is our MTV, our Life Channel, our Nickelodeon, our HGTV, our CNN, our... you name it. As I said earlier, from a media perspective, Montreal is NYC and Hollywood combined, albeit on a smaller scale.

Last edited by Acajack; 02-16-2012 at 02:12 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 03:13 PM

37,838 posts, read 41,708,399 times
Quote:
Except that Montreal and Atlanta are not in the same *nation*, right?

Sure, CNN reaches more people because its home market is bigger than that of a francophone network based in Montreal, but then again, there are certainly many Indian or Chinese networks out there that dwarf CNN.

Not to disparage Atlanta or even the U.S., but most of the networks you mentioned (aside from CNN) have little more relative impact outside of the U.S. than the Montreal-based networks have outside of Quebec.

So the real question is probably the cities' media influence within their respective *nations*. In that sense, Montreal is by far a bigger media, cultural and entertainment centre in its neck of the woods than Atlanta is.

Note also that Montreal's film industry (self-contained from A to Z, not just Hollywood shooting in a regional *location*) has placed an Oscar-nominated movie among the best foreign film category finalists two years in a row.

EDIT: Just checked and there are roughly 50 TV networks based in Montreal. *Our* ESPN is there, as is our MTV, our Life Channel, our Nickelodeon, our HGTV, our CNN, our... you name it. As I said earlier, from a media perspective, Montreal is NYC and Hollywood combined, albeit on a smaller scale.
Obviously Montreal is a bigger fish in a smaller pond when compared to Atlanta, which is really the gist of what you were getting at here. But I was under the impression that we were speaking of the totality and breadth of each city's media influence period and not simply their national impact within their respective countries. In that case, it definitely appears as though Atlanta wins that hands down. You can't simply dismiss the advantages that come along with being a media center, even a second-tier one, in the behemoth cultural exporter that is the United States.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:53 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,207,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sorry, but the topographical nature of the Bay Area results in things being spread out and that affects how 'big' the place feels. If you look at the principal contiguous clusters of 5,000+persons per square mile, the Bay Area appears far larger than the other 3, and that assertion is confirmed by this chart comprised of to-scale maps from the NY Times 2010 Census portal:
That's nothing but density. Nice try, but here's the true built-up urbanized areas in comparison.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:01 PM

13,988 posts, read 14,920,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
That's nothing but density. Nice try, but here's the true built-up urbanized areas in comparison.
1000pppsm does not feel urban though, the truely urban parts of Atlanta are very thin East-West.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Let's see: Atlanta is home to not only CNN, but Headline News, The Weather Channel, TBS, TNT, TruTV, TCM, Cartoon Network, and Boomerang. Atlanta also has a presence with the Fox News Channel in Midtown, as Atlanta is a southern satellite for that network of sorts.

Quote:
Montreal is home to an entire "national" entertainment industry, with numerous TV networks
Let's hear them.

Quote:
and magazines headquartered there
Let's hear them.

Quote:
and even a local movie industry that has regular red-carpet premieres, awards shows, etc.
Georgia has become one of the top 5 locations for film production in the U.S. these days. Over the past three years, I'd say that around 30 films have been shot in Georgia, most in the Atlanta area.

Quote:
For Quebec and French-speaking Canada, Montreal is NYC and Hollywood rolled up into one.
That's no surprise. It's the largest city in French Canada.

Quote:
Of course, it is small potatoes compared to NYC and Hollywood, but it is still way bigger than anything you would find in any other city in the U.S. except for the two giants.
Are you sure about that?

Old 02-16-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
1000pppsm does not feel urban though, the truely urban parts of Atlanta are very thin East-West.
I could care less whether your definition of urban has to do with people living like sardines. That's not the definition that most people understand it to be. What I posted is the urbanized built-up, non-rural area of the Atlanta region overlaid over the SF Bay region. It is quite clear that the Bay area is much smaller.

Why can't you people simply admit that Atlanta is large and be done with it. It's as if you have this thing with Atlanta, whereby you can't admit the reality of how large it is, as well as how influential it is. If it were any city in the northeast, you'd not be acting like this. It reeks of desperation. "A southern city can't be larger....that doesn't follow the script".

Last edited by Stars&StripesForever; 02-16-2012 at 04:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.