Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:31 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,015,865 times

Advertisements

Denver stacks up pretty well against other metros that are much larger. The Denver area has just over 3 million in the CSA, and has a wide range of offerings. I'd say that it can easily hang with many larger cities in the country up to the 5-6 million range.

Much of what determines if one city can "hang with" another though is subjective. For example, Denver can hang with Miami if you are not big into beaches. Likewise Miami can hang with Denver, unless you like mountains.

For most of the things that I do and enjoy, Denver can pretty much hang with any city in the U.S. with a few exceptions like Washington D.C. and New York City.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:34 PM

896 posts, read 1,171,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Denver stacks up pretty well against other metros that are much larger. The Denver area has just over 3 million in the CSA, and has a wide range of offerings. I'd say that it can easily hang with many larger cities in the country up to the 5-6 million range.

Much of what determines if one city can "hang with" another though is subjective. For example, Denver can hang with Miami if you are not big into beaches. Likewise Miami can hang with Denver, unless you like mountains.

For most of the things that I do and enjoy, Denver can pretty much hang with any city in the U.S. with a few exceptions like Washington D.C. and New York City.
In what other ways can Denver hang with Miami?

Old 02-12-2012, 02:55 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,015,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
In what other ways can Denver hang with Miami?
Well, there is the obvious example which I have already provided. Then you can add:
-Sports: NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and numerous NCAA programs.
-Culture/Arts: Denver is home to a world class performing arts venue, the second largest in the country. And some awesome concert venues as well.
-Higher Education: DU and CU both in the city limit and CSA respectively.
-Shopping: Every major retailer and hundreds of smaller ones have stores in Denver.

As I already said, much of this is subjective. But pretty much across the board you can't find anything in Miami that cannot also be found on some level in Denver. There are obvious exceptions do to culture, history and geography, but even these come down to preference, such as beaches or mountains, or a strong Latino influence vs a pioneer attitude of rugged toughness and independence. It really is a matter of preference.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:05 PM

4,365 posts, read 4,569,869 times
Larger urban areas that serve as a business hub for an entire region-- such as Denver, Twin Cities, Honolulu, Atlanta-- often have more to offer simply because of their regional importance.

Let's take Denver. Metro Baltimore, although slightly larger, doesn't quite stack up to Denver. This is because Denver serves as the principle city for the Rocky Mountain states... while Baltimore is overshadowed by the larger and more dominant Washington, DC, right nearby. So it could be said that Denver stacks up with Washington more so than Baltimore.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:20 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,074,277 times
I thought Denver CSA was a slight bit bigger than Bmore?

Old 02-12-2012, 04:22 PM

Denver vs. Miami. Well, we have a much busier airport. Better mass transit. I mucgh larger Govt./Aerospace/Intelligence jobs presence. to name a few! Better scenery (opinion I know). Best outdoor concert venue on Earth. More dense Downtown. Less crime.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Denver vs. Miami. Well, we have a much busier airport. Better mass transit. I mucgh larger Govt./Aerospace/Intelligence jobs presence. to name a few! Better scenery (opinion I know). Best outdoor concert venue on Earth. More dense Downtown. Less crime.
Less crime yes, denser no, as for best outdoor concert venue my guess would be Hollywood bowl is better than Denver's and even then I wouldn't consider the bowl the best outdoor concert venue, also Miami blows Denver out of the water when it comes to tourism.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:36 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,776,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Less crime yes, denser no, as for best outdoor concert venue my guess would be Hollywood bowl is better than Denver's and even then I wouldn't consider the bowl the best outdoor concert venue, also Miami blows Denver out of the water when it comes to tourism.
No, Red Rocks is still better than Hollywood Bowl, and likely better than any Miami venue, unless you want to offer up a comparable suggestion. Got any stats about DT density of both? Tourism: Of course Miami wins but Denver is no slouch.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
No, Red Rocks is still better than Hollywood Bowl, and likely better than any Miami venue, unless you want to offer up a comparable suggestion. Got any stats about DT density of both? Tourism: Of course Miami wins but Denver is no slouch.
I'm going off the 35sq miles that is Miami, Denvers density is more in line with Houston and Dallas than it is with Miami.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:13 PM

Talking Downtown core is all! Overall city, Miami may top us! And yes, Red Rocks is BY FAR the best outdoor venue on Earth! They even named the award after it, since Red Rocks won it every single year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City