Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:26 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,971,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
sure it does

better nightlife (by a longshot)
better shopping
a lot more internationally known and a big international gateway
more ethnic enclaves (Little Havana) - Denver seems more intergrated

I give Denver recognition for having a better downtown, more walkable and cohesive, and the remaining differences are the obvious such as topography, but I see Miami as much more of a world city and Denver as much more all American for the most part.
You missed the key word "some" as in "...on some level."

Denver nightlife is not as good as Miami, but it is no slouch either. Sure, there are more clubs in Miami, but you can only be in one at a time anyway, and it would take a while to burn through all of Denver's options as well. The same can be said for shopping. What exactly does Miami have that Denver doesn't? Probably just a higher volume, seeings it is a larger city. That doesn't change the fact that you can find all the same major retailers and designer outlets in Denver.

The international reputation is just that: reputation. It does not equate to more options simply because it is more widely known.

As for the ethnic enclaves vs integration: this is purely a matter of preference. I would never argue that Miami is not a unique city. But it is not so unique that it is out of Denver's league. Denver has a rich history in the pioneer spirit that defined the Western United States for a long period of time. It's a different history than that of Miami's. Depending on one's interests, one may be better than the other, but as I said, this is subjective.

I do agree with your last comments. Miami does have more global notoriety, Denver's reputation is more nationally limited, and it doesn't even lead the pack at that. But that does not detract from what one can actually find in Denver. It's not like I'm comparing a town of 10,000 to Miami, after all.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:41 AM

10,736 posts, read 23,748,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
You missed the key word "some" as in "...on some level."

Denver nightlife is not as good as Miami, but it is no slouch either. Sure, there are more clubs in Miami, but you can only be in one at a time anyway, and it would take a while to burn through all of Denver's options as well. The same can be said for shopping. What exactly does Miami have that Denver doesn't? Probably just a higher volume, seeings it is a larger city. That doesn't change the fact that you can find all the same major retailers and designer outlets in Denver.

The international reputation is just that: reputation. It does not equate to more options simply because it is more widely known.

As for the ethnic enclaves vs integration: this is purely a matter of preference. I would never argue that Miami is not a unique city. But it is not so unique that it is out of Denver's league. Denver has a rich history in the pioneer spirit that defined the Western United States for a long period of time. It's a different history than that of Miami's. Depending on one's interests, one may be better than the other, but as I said, this is subjective.

I do agree with your last comments. Miami does have more global notoriety, Denver's reputation is more nationally limited, and it doesn't even lead the pack at that. But that does not detract from what one can actually find in Denver. It's not like I'm comparing a town of 10,000 to Miami, after all.
Well I never said Denver was podunk. One thing in Denver that I think was very high calibur for a city of its size are it's main public library, and a very impressive art museum. I also did mention that I think Denver has a more impressive downtown. With all the highrises in downtown Miami around Brickell it still isn't that condusive to walking around and taking in the ambiance and atmosphere of the city. Miami Beach more less serves that up more than downtown Miami does.

I've been to the Denver a number of times, and experienced the nightlife and had good times there. I particularly remember a bar called Charlies near the capital that had a glittering disco ball on the dance floor shaped lke cowboy boots and a friendly crowd, fun place. Miami nightlife just has more pulse and nightclubs where Denver seems more like the kind of town to go to a microbrewery or shoot some pool at a lounge.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:48 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,971,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Well I never said Denver was podunk. I've been to the city a number of times, and experienced the nightlife and had good times there. I particularly remember a bar called Charlies near the capital that had a glittering disco ball on the dance floor shaped lke cowboy boots and a friendly crowd, fun place. Miami nightlife just has more pulse and nightclubs where Denver seems more like the kind of town to go to a microbrewery, and shoot some pool at a lounge. One thing in Denver that I think was very high calibur for a city of its size are it's main public library, and a very impressive art museum.
Yeah, what you described and sports bars are more predominate than the "dance floor" places. Herein lies my bias (as I keeps saying, this stuff is all subjective) and that is that I'm more of a sports bar kind of guy anyways. I can't tell you how many great evenings I've had at Coors Field, followed by a short walk across the street to the Sports Column for either post game celebration (or more often for a Rockies fan) to drown my sorrows.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,248,285 times
Baltimore is a smaller metro that packs a big metro punch IMO

Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 AM

10,092 posts, read 9,917,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
I thought Denver CSA was a slight bit bigger than Bmore?
Denver's CSA is slightly bigger than our MSA. We shouldn't use CSA's when describing the Baltimore area.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,285,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Baltimore is a smaller metro that packs a big metro punch IMO
That was another one I was thinking about. Perhaps due to its prominence back n the day. But compare Baltimore to it's peers of Cleveland, Tampa, and St.Louis Baltimore wins in about every category.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:29 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,799,814 times
Denver IMO is the clear winner here. For the size of the metro, it offers similar amenities of metros much larger.

Baltimore? Are you kidding me? I love Baltimore, but the city is more on par with a city half its size when it comes to big city amenities.

Baltimore is too much in the shadow of DC, but I think the city could work around that more than it does. Baltimore has too many problems to really step things up much.

Other cities that offer a lot for their size (while not quite on par with Denver) are Kansas City, St Louis, Minneapolis/St Paul and Pittsburgh.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,018,721 times
Why do people pick on Baltimore so much in these forums?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:31 AM

32 posts, read 31,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
San Fransisco (4.5 million, not the entire bay area) can Match...
~Chicago
~Los Angeles
(On many things)
I don't think so. San Francisco matches up more with Seattle more so than these two cities.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:35 AM

36,647 posts, read 67,377,458 times
Economically speaking, San Jose, Charlotte & Indianapolis have the GDPs that are the most above their population size.

San Jose's GDP is 15 places higher than its population

on the flip side...

Riverside's GDP is 12 places lower than its population

GDP Rank/Metro & GDP/ Places +/- its population ranking
1 New York $1.280 Trillion +0
2 Los Angeles $735.7 Billion +0
3 Chicago $532.3 Billion +0
4 Washington DC $425.1 Billion +3
5 Houston $384.6 Billion +1
6 Dallas $374.0 Billion -2
7 Philadelphia $346.9 Billion -1
8 San Francisco $325.9 Billion +3
9 Boston $313.6 Billion +1
10 Atlanta $272.3 Billion -1
11 Miami $257.5 Billion -3
12 Seattle $231.2 Billion +3
13 Minneapolis $199.5 Billion +3
14 Detroit $197.7 Billion -2
15 Phoenix $190.6 Billion -1
16 San Diego $171.5 Billion +1
17 San Jose $168.5 Billion +15
18 Denver $157.5 Billion +3
19 Baltmore $144.7 Billion +2
20 Portland $124.6 Billion +3
21 St Louis $129.7 Billion -3
22 Pittsburgh $115.7 Billion +0
23 Tampa $113.7 Billion -4
24 Charlotte $113.5 Billion +9
25 Riverside $109.8 Billion -12
26 Kansas City $105.9 Billion +3
27 Cleveland $105.6 Billion -1
28 Indianapolis $105.1 Billion +6
29 Orlando $104.1 Billion -3
30 Cincinnati $100.5 Billion -3

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City