U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
Balboa Park (San Diego) 37 47.44%
Central Park (New York City) 41 52.56%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:57 AM

32,016 posts, read 30,921,830 times

Advertisements

Maybe Bronx Park is the better comparison since that park has the zoo and botanical garden? Not much museum-wise though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 10:02 AM

17,947 posts, read 29,034,295 times
Just saw this. Central Park, Balboa Park, and Forest Park in St Louis were on a list for World's Most Beautiful City Parks:

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/photos/wor...000000134.html

Old 04-22-2014, 11:34 AM

9,965 posts, read 16,215,565 times
Balboa Park is a beautiful gem of a park. Overall I think it's really notable and incredible for the Spanish-Moorish revival buildings and museums of the Prado area(which is just about the closest place you'll find to looking like Spain in the US) and the awesome San Diego Zoo. The rest of the park is enjoyable, though there's a lot of space taken up by parking--and a freeway cutting through the center of the park(and a large medical facility on the edge) that takes away from some of the park-feel in parts. The unmanicured areas of the canyons and bluffs are nice though, and provide a sort of easy way to take a walk through a fairly typical hilly natural landscape of the regeion.

Central Park might be a better example of a well-landscaped park--though overall I'd say there's probably more attractions and stuff to do right in Balboa(though Central Park has the Met right on the edge of it and a lot of stuff in adjacent neighborhoods).

Old 04-22-2014, 11:41 AM

4,531 posts, read 4,707,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Haven't been to either,but Balboa Park has a world famous zoo.... plus 15 museums,so I really want to see it,but have no desire to see Central Park and certainly wouldn't travel to NY just to see Central Park.How many tourists do you think have CP on their bucket list,compared to how many have SD Zoo on theirs?
To answer your question, around 50 million or so.. every year.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,213,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
To answer your question, around 50 million or so.. every year.
Hmmm, not even a single review for Central Park Zoo!

San Diego Zoo vs Central Park Zoo - Zoos Comparison

Old 04-22-2014, 01:53 PM

5,991 posts, read 9,306,259 times
Quote:
Haven't been to either,but Balboa Park has a world famous zoo.... plus 15 museums,so I really want to see it,but have no desire to see Central Park and certainly wouldn't travel to NY just to see Central Park.How many tourists do you think have CP on their bucket list,compared to how many have SD Zoo on theirs?

That's just the zoo,wait till they find out about everything else that's in Balboa Park!
I think ur point backfired on you, as at least for me Central Park (in Fall) would be high on my list over a zoo (even the almighty SD Zoo, where animals are elated to be caged and imprisoned)!

Old 04-22-2014, 01:58 PM

5,991 posts, read 9,306,259 times
Quote:
Hmmm, not even a single review for Central Park Zoo!

San Diego Zoo vs Central Park Zoo - Zoos Comparison
12 vs 0 or 50 million vs Balboa Park attendance? Whatever that 2nd figure is makes that comparison a better context.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:14 PM

14,163 posts, read 25,416,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Balboa is awesome (and a better comparison would be to Forest Park in Saint Louis), Central park is just more awesome.
Or City Park in Denver. City Park has a lake, the Denver Zoo, Museum of Science and Nature, a golf course, outdoor concerts and great views of the downtown skyline and the mountains.

Anywho, I voted for Balboa Park just because I love San Diego and have been there many times. I even broke my hand skating around the Fruit Loop 16 years ago lol!

Old 04-23-2014, 07:34 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,213,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
12 vs 0 or 50 million vs Balboa Park attendance? Whatever that 2nd figure is makes that comparison a better context.

What source did you use saying CP gets 50 million visitors a year?

Old 04-23-2014, 04:22 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,866,345 times
Quote:
What source did you use saying CP gets 50 million visitors a year?
This was discussed a lot in the Golden Gate Parks vs Central Park thread. There were quite a few sources that listed the annual visitors in the 40 million to slightly above 50 million range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City