Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 06:05 AM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Denver don't do Phoenix.
And you...

Didn't I just ask you why you have such a hate-on for Phoenix in another thread? You denied it up and down stating you are "indifferent" to the city and that you haven't insulted the city (lie), yet here you are in another "*** vs. Phoenix thread"...offering nothing. So again, what is your hate-on for the city?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
Phoenix is great place to live, cost of living is low, access to nature is abundant, and we have mountains and mountain views within our city, unlike the distant Rockies view from Denver.

The main issue is hot weather vs. cold. Overly negative posts by Coloradoans(?) and people from the Midwest are mainly fueled by Phoenix's summer. If you're used to Minnesota than Denver might be easier for you. It's february and the highs are in the 70's. By summer northern people start melting.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:58 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,537 times
63 in Denver today!

Old 02-22-2012, 04:32 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Phoenix is great place to live, cost of living is low, access to nature is abundant, and we have mountains and mountain views within our city, unlike the distant Rockies view from Denver.

The main issue is hot weather vs. cold. Overly negative posts by Coloradoans(?) and people from the Midwest are mainly fueled by Phoenix's summer. If you're used to Minnesota than Denver might be easier for you. It's february and the highs are in the 70's. By summer northern people start melting.
Phoenix does have surprisingly nice mountain views, if you're into that certain desert appeal, but those little guys can't really compare to the Rockies, of which several 14ers provide gorgeous views from Denver. The Rockies also provide far more activities.

Phoenix is not just the flip-side of Denver, weather wise. Phoenix has months of extreme weather in summer, Denver hardly has any extreme weather during its winter, and summer in Denver is epic. Denver also has world-class skiing/snowboarding nearby during its "bad" season.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Phoenix does have surprisingly nice mountain views, if you're into that certain desert appeal, but those little guys can't really compare to the Rockies, of which several 14ers provide gorgeous views from Denver. The Rockies also provide far more activities.

Phoenix is not just the flip-side of Denver, weather wise. Phoenix has months of extreme weather in summer, Denver hardly has any extreme weather during its winter, and summer in Denver is epic. Denver also has world-class skiing/snowboarding nearby during its "bad" season.
Why does it have to be "if you're into that certain desert appeal"? Why does it have to compare to Denver in "that way" or any way? Why can't they both just be different and nice without the jabs?

I swear, I think some of you are so stuck in winning your argument that you forget it's not a game that you're winning, it's an argument on CD... City vs. City can still be comparing good points too.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:56 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Why does it have to be "if you're into that certain desert appeal"? Why does it have to compare to Denver in "that way" or any way? Why can't they both just be different and nice without the jabs?

I swear, I think some of you are so stuck in winning your argument that you forget it's not a game that you're winning, it's an argument on CD... City vs. City can still be comparing good points too.
I'll explain, IMO desert landscape has a niche appeal, and I genuinely think that Phoenix's mountains have a much narrower appeal whereas I think the Rockies have a beauty that appeals to a much broader range of people + have way more things to do IN the mountains. It is not meant to be a jab at Phoenix, they are different but the CO Rockies are a cut above similar to how the Canadian Rockies or Alps are a cut above the Rockies.

To answer your last question, the reason is because I think Denver is better than Phoenix in many ways, not just different. I don't find Phoenix all that appealing especially compared to Denver...however I fully acknowledge that is my opinion, and I won't put anyone down for thinking otherwise. I made no personal remarks about the poster whom I was quoting, I simply responded with my viewpoint.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
I'll explain, IMO desert landscape has a niche appeal, and I genuinely think that Phoenix's mountains have a much narrower appeal whereas I think the Rockies have a beauty that appeals to a much broader range of people + have way more things to do IN the mountains. It is not meant to be a jab at Phoenix, they are different but the CO Rockies are a cut above similar to how the Canadian Rockies or Alps are a cut above the Rockies.

To answer your last question, the reason is because I think Denver is better than Phoenix in many ways, not just different. I don't find Phoenix all that appealing especially compared to Denver...however I fully acknowledge that is my opinion, and I won't put anyone down for thinking otherwise. I made no personal remarks about the poster whom I was quoting, I simply responded with my viewpoint.
Well, I will admit that I believe the Rockies are quite beautiful and majestic; however, I also like the desert landscape and the beautiful sunsets here. I do enjoy Denver and I have contemplated moving there, but it hasn't happened yet (not sure if it will). I think that some people do not give Phoenix enough credit though because they compare it to other cities that had established their downtowns earlier on and experienced much of their growth during different times. While I too am not a fan of suburb after suburb type growth, I believe Phoenix has learned its lesson. You cannot deny that there has been more of a concentration on infill, as well as growth recently within the city center. It would be nice if people recognized the city for the things that it is starting to do right rather than focusing soley on the way things were done in the past.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:32 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,214 times
[quote=AZLiam;23099055]Why does it have to be "if you're into that certain desert appeal"? Why does it have to compare to Denver in "that way" or any way? Why can't they both just be different and nice without the jabs?

I swear, I think some of you are so stuck in winning your argument that you forget it's not a game that you're winning, it's an argument on CD... City vs. City can still be comparing good points too.[/quote]

Look who is talking. Every time someone says that they think City A is better than Phoenix you get all annoyed and have to say something. It's like your are trying to win yourself.

I think Denver is much better than Phoenix. You have a problem with that? I wasn't insulting in any way. I think most cities are better than Phoenix, just because Phoenix feels like a city of chains and cookie cutter homes. Oh wait, it is! I am glad to hear that Phoenix is doing more with infill and becoming denser. That's great and hopefully the city continues that way. But we are talking about the present, and in the present I believe Denver is a better all around city. It has a much more interesting downtown, on par with Phoenix when it comes to institutions and a better economy.

It's not that I hate Phoenix, it's just imo most cities are better than it. Now if some asked me should I move to Las Vegas or Phoenix, I would say Phoenix. If someone asked Detroit or Phoenix, I would say Phoenix. I am rational and just being honest. For the last time, I just think most cities are more interesting and more cultured than Phoenix, and I think many people would agree.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 PM

[quote=ChikidII;23099650]
Quote:

I swear, I think some of you are so stuck in winning your argument that you forget it's not a game that you're winning, it's an argument on CD... City vs. City can still be comparing good points too.[/quote]

Look who is talking. Every time someone says that they think City A is better than Phoenix you get all annoyed and have to say something. It's like your are trying to win yourself.

I think Denver is much better than Phoenix. You have a problem with that? I wasn't insulting in any way. I think most cities are better than Phoenix, just because Phoenix feels like a city of chains and cookie cutter homes. Oh wait, it is! I am glad to hear that Phoenix is doing more with infill and becoming denser. That's great and hopefully the city continues that way. But we are talking about the present, and in the present I believe Denver is a better all around city. It has a much more interesting downtown, on par with Phoenix when it comes to institutions and a better economy.

It's not that I hate Phoenix, it's just imo most cities are better than it. Now if some asked me should I move to Las Vegas or Phoenix, I would say Phoenix. If someone asked Detroit or Phoenix, I would say Phoenix. I am rational and just being honest. For the last time, I just think most cities are more interesting and more cultured than Phoenix, and I think many people would agree.
I don't think you have even read your own posts. Futhermore, I don't get ticked when someone likes one city more than another, I get ticked when people don't actually take the time to understand what they are talking about when they do speak about another city. Thanks for being my example.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:16 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,214 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post

I don't think you have even read your own posts. Futhermore, I don't get ticked when someone likes one city more than another, I get ticked when people don't actually take the time to understand what they are talking about when they do speak about another city. Thanks for being my example.

You're right! Phoenix is the greatest city I have ever been too! Forget Denver, forget San Diego, I have to like Phoenix better because some poster will just keep about it.

i haven't insulted the city Phoenix, rather all I have been saying is I prefer Denver and San Diego. I find Phoenix lacking in many ways for city it's size, I am sorry that I have an opinion and preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City